Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Apple: An Evil Empire in the Making?

Re: Apple: An Evil Empire in the Making?

Richard

thingy

On Apr 15, 6:40*pm, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> >http://advice.cio.com/tom_kaneshige/..._empire_in_the...

> > --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: (E-Mail Removed) ---

> Making? They are already one IMO

Agreed....but buying their products is optional....most US
corporations are pretty "evil" ie effective in getting as much as
possible....and if they cant get it via a business process, they get
it via lobbying congress....

regards

Thing

Roger_Nickel

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 16:06:11 -0700, thingy wrote:

> On Apr 15, 6:40*pm, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>> >http://advice.cio.com/tom_kaneshige/10032/

apple_an_evil_empire_in_the...

>> > --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: (E-Mail Removed) ---

>> Making? They are already one IMO

> Agreed....but buying their products is optional....most US corporations
> are pretty "evil" ie effective in getting as much as possible....and if
> they cant get it via a business process, they get it via lobbying
> congress....
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Looking from the other side --- if the directors of Apple didn't take
every legal measure to make as much money as possible they would risk a
lawsuit for breach of fiduciary duty to their shareholders. Another
possibility is that the Apple could become a take-over target for another
less scrupulous company prepared to go the extra mile in pursuit of profit

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Roger_Nickel wrote:

> Looking from the other side --- if the directors of Apple didn't take
> every legal measure to make as much money as possible they would risk a
> lawsuit for breach of fiduciary duty to their shareholders.

But other publicly-traded companies are able to offer much more open systems
while keeping their shareholders happy, e.g. Red Hat, Google.

Gib Bogle

Roger_Nickel wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 16:06:11 -0700, thingy wrote:

> apple_an_evil_empire_in_the...
>>> Making? They are already one IMO

>> Agreed....but buying their products is optional....most US corporations
>> are pretty "evil" ie effective in getting as much as possible....and if
>> they cant get it via a business process, they get it via lobbying
>> congress....
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Thing

> Looking from the other side --- if the directors of Apple didn't take
> every legal measure to make as much money as possible they would risk a
> lawsuit for breach of fiduciary duty to their shareholders. Another
> possibility is that the Apple could become a take-over target for another
> less scrupulous company prepared to go the extra mile in pursuit of profit

Really? Have you ever heard of a company facing a lawsuit on the grounds that
they didn't "take every legal measure to make as much money as possible"? I
haven't.

Roger_Nickel

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 14:58:13 +1200, Gib Bogle wrote:

> Roger_Nickel wrote:

>> apple_an_evil_empire_in_the...
>>> Agreed....but buying their products is optional....most US
>>> corporations are pretty "evil" ie effective in getting as much as
>>> possible....and if they cant get it via a business process, they get
>>> it via lobbying congress....
>>>
>>> regards
>>>
>>> Thing

>> Looking from the other side --- if the directors of Apple didn't take
>> every legal measure to make as much money as possible they would risk a
>> lawsuit for breach of fiduciary duty to their shareholders. Another
>> possibility is that the Apple could become a take-over target for
>> another less scrupulous company prepared to go the extra mile in
>> pursuit of profit

> Really? Have you ever heard of a company facing a lawsuit on the
> grounds that they didn't "take every legal measure to make as much money
> as possible"? I haven't.

The landmark case is Dodge vs Ford, in the US back in 1919 with
occasional replays through to the late 1960's. In recent times courts
seem to have taken a broader view of the "interests of shareholders" but
failure to maximise financial return is still actionable and the
possibility still, presumably, a consideration for company directors.
More pragmatically the directors' responsibility is to maintain or
increase the share price and mass discounting is at odds with the company
image of quality and style. Apple didn't do so well during their discount
pricing me-too era in the 1990's (they never could match the price of
commodity PC hardware).

Re: Apple: An Evil Empire in the Making? Jamie Kahn Genet NZ Computing 3 04-28-2010 03:53 AM
Evil, evil wxPython (and a glimmer of hope) vivainio@gmail.com Python 12 02-17-2006 07:49 PM
Intel joins forces with the Evil Empire? Peter Huebner NZ Computing 14 07-12-2005 07:28 AM
the empire braces itself billyw MCSE 17 08-13-2004 11:30 AM
Empire Strike Again anonymous MCSE 9 11-21-2003 04:15 PM

Advertisments