Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Updated License Term Agreement for VC Redistributable in VS 2008SP1

Re: Updated License Term Agreement for VC Redistributable in VS 2008SP1

python@bdurham.com

Alex,

> I do not see anything about redistribution, only installation, unless I am missing something?

I read "installation" to mean the same as "redistribution" in the
context of this article. Perhaps I'm wrong?

Malcolm

On 4/14/10, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I just stumbled across the following page which seems to indicate that
> the MS VC 2008 runtime files[1] required to distribute Python
> applications compiled with Py2exe and similar tools can be shipped
> without the license restriction many previously thought.
>
> See: Updated License Term Agreement for VC Redistributable in VS 2008
> SP1
> http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB956414
>
> <quote>
> The End User License Agreement (EULA) attached to the English version of
> Visual C++ (VC) Redistributable Package (VCRedistx86.exe,
> VCRedistx64.exe, and VCRedist_ia64.exe) in Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
> does not let you redistribute the VC Redist files. It specifies that you
> may only install and use one copy of the software.
>
> ----> The correct EULA allows installation and use of any number of
> copies of the VC Redist packages. <----
>
> CAUSE
>
> This problem occurs when Visual Studio 2008 SP1 installs incorrect VC
> Redist files that have the wrong EULAs to the computer.
> </quote>
>
> I know there's been lots of confusion about whether developers can ship
> these DLL files directly or whether developers must ship the Visual C++
> 2008 Redistributable Package SP 1 files (vcredist_x86.exe or
> vcredist_x64.exe) - I think the above article should settle this debate
> once and for all.
>
> Malcolm
>
> 1. MS VC 2008 runtime files: msvcr90.dll, msvcp90.dll, msvcm90.dll

Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from GMail website)
(E-Mail Removed); http://www.facebook.com/mehgcap

Lie Ryan

On 04/15/10 06:38, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Alex,
>
>> I do not see anything about redistribution, only installation, unless I am missing something?

> I read "installation" to mean the same as "redistribution" in the
> context of this article. Perhaps I'm wrong?

Does it makes sense to be able to install a library in other's computer,
but not redistribute it? Hmm... I'll have to consult a lawyer.

python@bdurham.com

Lie,

> Does it makes sense to be able to install a library in other's computer, but not redistribute it? Hmm... I'll have to consult a lawyer.

See Tim Robert's response (I can't remember which Python mailing list)

<quote>
The license agreement change fixes a problem that was accidentally
introduced by Visual Studio 2008 SP1. The redistributable package that
can be downloaded directly from Microsoft (which you would use if you
had the Express Edition) has the right license to begin with. It never
had the restriction.

Microsoft's intent is that you be able to distribute the non-debug
runtimes with any applications built with Visual Studio. They are evil,
but not arbitrarily malicious.
</quote>

Malcolm

Lie Ryan

On 04/17/10 03:40, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Lie,
>
>> Does it makes sense to be able to install a library in other's computer, but not redistribute it? Hmm... I'll have to consult a lawyer.

> See Tim Robert's response (I can't remember which Python mailing list)

I was responding to Alex Hall's comment (and your subsequent reply)

"""
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Alex Hall wrote:
>> I do not see anything about redistribution, only
>> installation, unless I am missing something?

> I read "installation" to mean the same as "redistribution" in the
> context of this article. Perhaps I'm wrong?

"""

it appears to me *if* someone had written an EULA that allows
installation on other machine but not redistributing it, they must be
fairly insane (in this case, Microsoft isn't insane enough to write such
EULA for their VC).