Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Win7 Pro XP Mode

Win7 Pro XP Mode

RagDyeR

Don't know if this is the right place for this question.

If not, would any of you guys recommend a site?

Can't install printer in Virtual PC - XP Mode.

Bought as a package from HP:
HP Pavilion Elite, desktop.
HP Photosmart C4780 printer.

Downloaded and installed Virtual PC and got XP mode to work without any
problems.
Installed OE (which I'm using here for the NGs), and my CAD program
(SmartSketch 2d).

Copied all diagrams and floor plans to SmartSketch, and the program works
perfectly.

Only thing wrong is I can't install the printer (USB connection - works fine
in Win7).
Stand alone PC and single printer - nothing complicated.

Called HP support and after 2 hours of installing from the disc to the XP
mode, and trying a 100 different setting changes on the mchine,
nothing works.
They finally (after 2 hours) said they don't offer support for this
"set-up", and they could forward me to their Upgraded tech support ... BUT
FOR A SERVICE CHARGE! ! !

I think smoke was COMING OUT OF MY EARS when I slammed down the phone!

Caqn anyone offer any help, either links, or phone numbers, or actual
suggestions?

TIA,

RD

Al Dykes

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
RagDyeR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Don't know if this is the right place for this question.
>
>If not, would any of you guys recommend a site?
>
>Can't install printer in Virtual PC - XP Mode.
>
>Bought as a package from HP:
>HP Pavilion Elite, desktop.
>HP Photosmart C4780 printer.

That printer has a network interface.

ISTM that your application under XP should be able to talk to the
printer via tcp. The protocol is LPr/LPd nd it's been in every version
of Windows from 98 on but MS changed the setup and terminology in
every version of Windows.

It's my favorite way to share a printer.

I haven't played with this under Win/7 yet but it's the direction I'd
go.

--
Al Dykes

Jerry

More help is at:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...tegory/w7itpro

"RagDyeR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Don't know if this is the right place for this question.
>
> If not, would any of you guys recommend a site?
>
> Can't install printer in Virtual PC - XP Mode.
>
> Bought as a package from HP:
> HP Pavilion Elite, desktop.
> HP Photosmart C4780 printer.
>
> Downloaded and installed Virtual PC and got XP mode to work without any
> problems.
> Installed OE (which I'm using here for the NGs), and my CAD program
> (SmartSketch 2d).
>
> Copied all diagrams and floor plans to SmartSketch, and the program works
> perfectly.
>
> Only thing wrong is I can't install the printer (USB connection - works
> fine in Win7).
> Stand alone PC and single printer - nothing complicated.
>
> Called HP support and after 2 hours of installing from the disc to the XP
> mode, and trying a 100 different setting changes on the mchine,
> nothing works.
> They finally (after 2 hours) said they don't offer support for this
> "set-up", and they could forward me to their Upgraded tech support ... BUT
> FOR A SERVICE CHARGE! ! !
>
> I think smoke was COMING OUT OF MY EARS when I slammed down the phone!
>
> Caqn anyone offer any help, either links, or phone numbers, or actual
> suggestions?
>

> TIA,
>
> RD

David

"RagDyeR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Don't know if this is the right place for this question.
>
> If not, would any of you guys recommend a site?
>
> Can't install printer in Virtual PC - XP Mode.
>
> Bought as a package from HP:
> HP Pavilion Elite, desktop.
> HP Photosmart C4780 printer.
>
> Downloaded and installed Virtual PC and got XP mode to
> work without any problems.
> Installed OE (which I'm using here for the NGs), and my
> CAD program (SmartSketch 2d).
>
> Copied all diagrams and floor plans to SmartSketch, and
> the program works perfectly.
>
> Only thing wrong is I can't install the printer (USB
> connection - works fine in Win7).
> Stand alone PC and single printer - nothing complicated.

In XP mode, did you actually make the USB connection? On the
USB menu item you have to connect the device to the virtual
machine.

David

RagDyeR

If you're talking about the bar at the top of the XP mode Desktop, YES!

BUT, the dropdown *doesn't* display an option to attach a printer.
Just shows "Mass Storage device".
--
Regards,

RD