Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > How much heap can I reserve for JVM? Error when allocation very much heap

How much heap can I reserve for JVM? Error when allocation very much heap

Raymond Schanks

When I call a 1.6 Java program (under WinXP) with a command like:

java -Xms5m -Xmx1200m -jar myapp.jar

Then I get errors like:

Why ? I have 2 GB physical memory.
Even if I would allocate more heap than physical memory then JVM should use the swap file
to put the additional heap on hard disc.

Am I right?

How can I avoid the errors above (of cause without decreasing the value) ?

Ray