Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > SEC proposes the use of Python and XML

SEC proposes the use of Python and XML

Ted Larson Freeman

This week the SEC proposed new requirements for asset-backed
securities that include the use of XML and Python:

"The asset-level information would be provided according to proposed
standards and in a tagged data format using eXtensible Markup Language
(XML). In addition, we are proposing to require, along with the
prospectus filing, the filing of a computer program of the contractual
cash flow provisions expressed as downloadable source code in Python,
a commonly used open source interpretive programming language."

See:
http://www.sec.gov/news/press/2010/2010-54.htm
http://kelloggfinance.wordpress.com/...gets-one-right

Ted

Chris Rebert

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 9:13 PM, Ted Larson Freeman
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> This week the SEC proposed new requirements for asset-backed
> securities that include the use of XML and Python:
>
> "The asset-level information would be provided according to proposed
> standards and in a tagged data format using eXtensible Markup Language
> (XML). In addition, we are proposing to require, along with the
> prospectus filing, the filing of a computer program of the contractual
> cash flow provisions expressed as downloadable source code in Python,
> a commonly used open source interpretive programming language."

I guess we've now gone from "executable pseudocode" to "executable
legal code"

Cheers,
Chris
--
Cue the Perl jokes!
http://blog.rebertia.com

Patrick Maupin

On Apr 10, 11:13*pm, Ted Larson Freeman <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> This week the SEC proposed new requirements for asset-backed
> securities that include the use of XML and Python:
>
> "The asset-level information would be provided according to proposed
> standards and in a tagged data format using eXtensible Markup Language
> (XML). In addition, we are proposing to require, along with the
> prospectus filing, the filing of a computer program of the contractual
> cash flow provisions expressed as downloadable source code in Python,
> a commonly used open source interpretive programming language."
>
> See:http://www.sec.gov/news/press/2010/2...gets-one-right
>
> Ted

Now all we need is for the IRS to follow suit...

Terry Reedy

On 4/11/2010 12:13 AM, Ted Larson Freeman wrote:
> This week the SEC proposed new requirements for asset-backed
> securities that include the use of XML and Python:
>
> "The asset-level information would be provided according to proposed
> standards and in a tagged data format using eXtensible Markup Language
> (XML). In addition, we are proposing to require, along with the
> prospectus filing, the filing of a computer program of the contractual
> cash flow provisions expressed as downloadable source code in Python,
> a commonly used open source interpretive programming language."

Thanks for posting this. More jobs for Python programmers. And perhaps
better transparency in such investment vehicles.

> See:
> http://www.sec.gov/news/press/2010/2010-54.htm
> http://kelloggfinance.wordpress.com/...gets-one-right

To help anyone trying to verify this, the quote is a quote within the
blog post which seems to attribute it to the SEC press release. However,
it actually comes from

http://www.sec.gov/rules/proposed/2010/33-9117.pdf

the 'Additional Material' referenced within the press release.

Terry Jan Reedy