Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > peer to peer?

peer to peer?

mayfriday

We are using the thumbdrive modem to go internet, so only 1 pc can surf. We
would like to connect our pc#2 so that they can share the data and any work
done or amendment on the files will be saved in pc1. We have a twisted RJ45
wire. How do we go about doint this? Thanks for your hekp

Ben M. Schorr, MVP

You didn't say what OS you're running but Internet Connection Sharing might
help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234815

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP
Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:
http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon

"mayfriday" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We are using the thumbdrive modem to go internet, so only 1 pc can surf.
> We
> would like to connect our pc#2 so that they can share the data and any
> work
> done or amendment on the files will be saved in pc1. We have a twisted
> RJ45
> wire. How do we go about doint this? Thanks for your hekp

Lem

mayfriday wrote:
> We are using the thumbdrive modem to go internet, so only 1 pc can surf. We
> would like to connect our pc#2 so that they can share the data and any work
> done or amendment on the files will be saved in pc1. We have a twisted RJ45
> wire. How do we go about doint this? Thanks for your hekp

The best way to share an Internet connection is with a router.

If you don't want to do that, you need to use Windows Internet
Connection Sharing. If you are going to connect the second computer to
the one with the actual Internet connection by cable, you will need a
special "cross-over" cable rather than a normal Ethernet cable. I don't
know which you mean by "twisted RJ45 wire."

You didn't specify which version of Windows you have, so here are a
couple of web sites that discuss ICS for Windows XP, or you can Google
for more:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...tup/adhoc.mspx
(uses wireless to connect secondary computers, but otherwise is applicable)

http://practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/
--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

mayfriday

Many thanks for the response We are using XP Prof (2nd pc) and XP Home (1st
pc- which has access to internet using thumbdrive modem). We are stuck with
this type of modem for contractual and mobility reason. The cable is
"cross-over" type. Will try to go thru all the literature/methods and
hopefully I can get it right. Thank you