Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Best advice for those wanting iPad

Re: Best advice for those wanting iPad

Stuffed Crust

In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems C J Campbell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> They are introducing multitasking this fall. And if you really need an
> old-fashioned, obsolete USB port because your IT team is still stuck in
> the 20th century, you can have one.

Yeah, because nobody would EVER need to attach a peripheral to an iPad.

USB is used for more than bulk storage and network connectivity.

Oh, and the OS4 "multitasking" isn't; it's more accurate to call it
"background services".

- Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet dot org
Melbourne, FL ^^ (mail/jabber/gtalk) ^^

SMS

On 09/04/10 8:04 AM, Stuffed Crust wrote:
> In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems C J Campbell<(E-Mail Removed) > wrote:
>> They are introducing multitasking this fall. And if you really need an
>> old-fashioned, obsolete USB port because your IT team is still stuck in
>> the 20th century, you can have one.

> Yeah, because nobody would EVER need to attach a peripheral to an iPad.
>
> USB is used for more than bulk storage and network connectivity.
>
> Oh, and the OS4 "multitasking" isn't; it's more accurate to call it
> "background services".

The iPad is what's called an MCD in industry circles, a media
consumption device. Nothing wrong with that of course, but what it can't
be, because of the hardware limitations, is a general purpose platform
used for all the applications that a regular tablet PC is used for.

The market for MCDs is far greater than the market for tablet computers,
so Apple will sell a gazillion iPads. They're going to become a very
popular gaming device and movie player for kids, and a popular web pad
for adults. The processor is fast enough for these applications, but
still low power enough for the device to have excellent battery life,
something you can't get on a full featured tablet computer.

The HP Slate has some advantages and some disadvantages compared to the
iPad. Because of its more powerful processor, battery life is half of
the iPad, yet because it's running Windows, performance will likely be
worse than the iPad despite the more powerful processor. On the plus
side, it can play 1080p HD video, it has two cameras (the iPad has
none), and it has a built in SD card reader and built in video out
(extra cost options with a kludgy dongle on the iPad). It has 4 times
the amount of user accessible SDRAM (1GB versus 256MB on the iPad). Not
sure about 3G, it may require an external USB 3G dongle.

Of course one big disadvantage of the HP Slate is that there apparently
won't be any $30/month unlimited 3G service. Since the Slate is a full
featured product running standard browsers that support Flash, there is
no way any carrier is going to give HP the same kind of sweet deal that
Apple got.

I would wager that the HP Slate is not going to be successful with
consumers, but will gain a following among techies using it for vertical
applications. General purpose tablet computers have only gained a
following in vertical market applications. You can buy a thin and light
computer with a more powerful processor for about the same price of an
HP Slate. For gaming, you're better off with a larger screen and a game
controller than a touch screen. For general purpose use you want a real
keyboard.

And of course HP does not have Apple's marketing capability. There are
no HP stores, a much poorer support infrastructure, and no HP fanbois.

Stuffed Crust

In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems C J Campbell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> It is really funny. This is like the people who keep insisting that OS
> X does not support true 64 bit processing. It is the old "moving the
> goal posts" fallacy. Apple adds multitasking, then say it is not "true"
> multitasking.

Yes, OSX didn't support native 64-bit processing in userspace until Snow
Leopoard's release. Apple trumpeted this as one of its big new features.
(See http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/#sixtyfourbit)

> Note that these critics will never tell you what "true" multitasking
> is, either. After all, people might hold the devices and operating
> systems they say are better to the same standards. That would never do.

Okay, do you really want to know? The explanation is going to be
technical and boring, and in the end, you'll probably just counter with
"so what, it looks the same to the user?"

> It appears that the main reason Apple is not supporting Flash on the
> iPad is that Flash interferes with multitasking. Apple's multitasking
> is implemented in seven APIs. Fast Switching allows apps to be frozen

Eh, that's bullshit. A much more poignant reason is that most flash
stuff is designed for mouse interation (especially "hovering") and as
such simply won't work with a touch interface.

> It seems to me that when people say that the iPad and iPhone do not
> have true multitasking then what they really mean is that the iPad and
> iPhone do not have a crappy, poorly implemented, battery draining form
> of multitasking like they are used to.

You do realize you're just "moved the goalposts" by redefining what
"multitasking" is to suit your argument?

> There is absolutely nothing that stops Adobe from developing a version
> of Flash that would meet the needs of the iPhone/iPad API. Yet Adobe
> does not do this. That is certainly not Apple's fault.

See section 3.3.1 of the "proposed" OS4 SDK license. Adobe is
dissallowed from writing a version of Flash without special dispensation
from Apple, and even then, anyone wanting to actually use Flash would
also have to get special dispensation.

- Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet dot org
Melbourne, FL ^^ (mail/jabber/gtalk) ^^

nospam

In article <4bc07d94$0$4971$(E-Mail Removed) m>,
Stuffed Crust <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > It is really funny. This is like the people who keep insisting that OS
> > X does not support true 64 bit processing. It is the old "moving the
> > goal posts" fallacy. Apple adds multitasking, then say it is not "true"
> > multitasking.

> Yes, OSX didn't support native 64-bit processing in userspace until Snow
> Leopoard's release. Apple trumpeted this as one of its big new features.
> (See http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/#sixtyfourbit)

nonsense. os x has supported 64 bit user space since tiger, 5 years
ago. i think mathematica was 64 bit in tiger, among a few others. your
link even says so: "Earlier versions of Mac OS X have offered a range
of 64-bit capabilities."

snow leopard is the first version that has a 64 bit kernel, making it
*completely* 64 bit, but that is not necessary for a user space app
unless you need more than 32 gigs of memory. very few people need the
64 bit kernel since there aren't many 64 bit drivers (yet).

> > It appears that the main reason Apple is not supporting Flash on the
> > iPad is that Flash interferes with multitasking. Apple's multitasking
> > is implemented in seven APIs. Fast Switching allows apps to be frozen

> Eh, that's bullshit. A much more poignant reason is that most flash
> stuff is designed for mouse interation (especially "hovering") and as
> such simply won't work with a touch interface.

true, as well as being proprietary and a battery hog.

> > It seems to me that when people say that the iPad and iPhone do not
> > have true multitasking then what they really mean is that the iPad and
> > iPhone do not have a crappy, poorly implemented, battery draining form
> > of multitasking like they are used to.

> You do realize you're just "moved the goalposts" by redefining what
> "multitasking" is to suit your argument?

he didn't.

> > There is absolutely nothing that stops Adobe from developing a version
> > of Flash that would meet the needs of the iPhone/iPad API. Yet Adobe
> > does not do this. That is certainly not Apple's fault.

> See section 3.3.1 of the "proposed" OS4 SDK license. Adobe is
> dissallowed from writing a version of Flash without special dispensation
> from Apple, and even then, anyone wanting to actually use Flash would
> also have to get special dispensation.

actually, that part isn't why.

J. Clarke

On 4/10/2010 9:31 AM, Stuffed Crust wrote:
> In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems C J Campbell<(E-Mail Removed) > wrote:
>> It is really funny. This is like the people who keep insisting that OS
>> X does not support true 64 bit processing. It is the old "moving the
>> goal posts" fallacy. Apple adds multitasking, then say it is not "true"
>> multitasking.

> Yes, OSX didn't support native 64-bit processing in userspace until Snow
> Leopoard's release. Apple trumpeted this as one of its big new features.
> (See http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/#sixtyfourbit)
>
>> Note that these critics will never tell you what "true" multitasking
>> is, either. After all, people might hold the devices and operating
>> systems they say are better to the same standards. That would never do.

> Okay, do you really want to know? The explanation is going to be
> technical and boring, and in the end, you'll probably just counter with
> "so what, it looks the same to the user?"
>
>> It appears that the main reason Apple is not supporting Flash on the
>> iPad is that Flash interferes with multitasking. Apple's multitasking
>> is implemented in seven APIs. Fast Switching allows apps to be frozen

> Eh, that's bullshit. A much more poignant reason is that most flash
> stuff is designed for mouse interation (especially "hovering") and as
> such simply won't work with a touch interface.

Seven APIs? What did they do, dust off pre OS/X MacOS? Geez, talk
about a giant leap backward . . .

>> It seems to me that when people say that the iPad and iPhone do not
>> have true multitasking then what they really mean is that the iPad and
>> iPhone do not have a crappy, poorly implemented, battery draining form
>> of multitasking like they are used to.

> You do realize you're just "moved the goalposts" by redefining what
> "multitasking" is to suit your argument?
>
>> There is absolutely nothing that stops Adobe from developing a version
>> of Flash that would meet the needs of the iPhone/iPad API. Yet Adobe
>> does not do this. That is certainly not Apple's fault.

> See section 3.3.1 of the "proposed" OS4 SDK license. Adobe is
> dissallowed from writing a version of Flash without special dispensation
> from Apple, and even then, anyone wanting to actually use Flash would
> also have to get special dispensation.
>
> - Solomon

Ray Fischer

Stuffed Crust <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>C J Campbell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> It is really funny. This is like the people who keep insisting that OS
>> X does not support true 64 bit processing. It is the old "moving the
>> goal posts" fallacy. Apple adds multitasking, then say it is not "true"
>> multitasking.

>Yes, OSX didn't support native 64-bit processing in userspace until Snow
>Leopoard's release. Apple trumpeted this as one of its big new features.
>(See http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/#sixtyfourbit)

You didn't read that carefully enough.

They say that specific applications have been made 64-bit, not that
the OS was changed.

--
Ray Fischer