Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Cable release questions

Cable release questions

Peabody

I have a fairly severe right-hand dystonia (a kind of tremor), and
wondered if a modern DSLR could be operated via a shutter release
device that is mouth activated. My last exposure to a cable
release was back in the film days when it really was a mechanical
shutter.

Is there any consistency between DSLR brands and models as to
exactly now the external shutter release works? Is it still
mechanical, or is it electronic now? Is the half-press function
available through such a release?

Thanks for any information.

Ron

"Peabody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a fairly severe right-hand dystonia (a kind of tremor), and
> wondered if a modern DSLR could be operated via a shutter release
> device that is mouth activated. My last exposure to a cable
> release was back in the film days when it really was a mechanical
> shutter.
>
> Is there any consistency between DSLR brands and models as to
> exactly now the external shutter release works? Is it still
> mechanical, or is it electronic now? Is the half-press function
> available through such a release?
>
> Thanks for any information.

Canon DSLRs have electronic external shutter releases. There are several
different models and all models don't work on all cameras. The half press
function is available on some releases, or maybe all releases. They also
have wireless releases. Check the B&H Photo web site for particulars.

Ron

Nervous Nick

On Apr 8, 5:10*pm, Peabody <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a fairly severe right-hand dystonia (a kind of tremor), and
> wondered if a modern DSLR could be operated via a shutter release
> device that is mouth activated. *My last exposure to a cable
> release was back in the film days when it really was a mechanical
> shutter.
>
> Is there any consistency between DSLR brands and models as to
> exactly now the external shutter release works? *Is it still
> mechanical, or is it electronic now? *Is the half-press function
> available through such a release?

Your best bet would be to google "spazz-proof oral shutter release".
I am laughing to hard to do it for you.

--
YOP...

Ofnuts

On 09/04/2010 00:10, Peabody wrote:
> I have a fairly severe right-hand dystonia (a kind of tremor), and
> wondered if a modern DSLR could be operated via a shutter release
> device that is mouth activated. My last exposure to a cable
> release was back in the film days when it really was a mechanical
> shutter.
>
> Is there any consistency between DSLR brands and models as to
> exactly now the external shutter release works? Is it still
> mechanical, or is it electronic now? Is the half-press function
> available through such a release?
>
> Thanks for any information.

On teh Canon and Pentax DSLRs, there is a wire remote with two contacts:
one for half-press (prefocus) and one for full press (shutter release).
On the Pentax and entry-level Canon, the connector is a 2.5mm stereo
jack, not that difficult to find, so one can build the wire remote of
one's dreams <http://www.camerahacker.com/RS60-E3_pin-out/pin-out.php>.
On the more expensive Canons, the connector is proprietary (N3) but the
working is the same.
--
Bertrand

DanP

On 8 Apr, 23:10, Peabody <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a fairly severe right-hand dystonia (a kind of tremor), and
> wondered if a modern DSLR could be operated via a shutter release
> device that is mouth activated. *My last exposure to a cable
> release was back in the film days when it really was a mechanical
> shutter.
>
> Is there any consistency between DSLR brands and models as to
> exactly now the external shutter release works? *Is it still
> mechanical, or is it electronic now? *Is the half-press function
> available through such a release?
>
> Thanks for any information.

See this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Control...0842235&sr=8-5

There are some infrared remote controls that do not support half-
press.

DanP

Peabody

Seymore says...

> Just out of interest, I don't know much about your
> condition. Do you have fully functional use on your
> left hand? How much functionality do you have in your
> right hand, etc?

Yes, the left hand is normal, and the right hand works fine
so long as I'm doing something which requires the right hand
to be moving. But when I try to grasp something and hold it
still, or move it slowly and deliberately, the tremor
starts. So, for example, I can write pretty well, type
ok, and even play piano, but I can't solder, or get a
screwdriver into the slot of a screw, or putt very well.
Or, hold the camera steady and deliberately press the
shutter.

I do use a P&S, and the IS helps some, but to operate a DSLR
I would really want a better solution. Most of what
I've done with the P&S has involved a tripod and timer.
I've learned to accomodate on a lot of things, and in this
case it's just a question of finding a method that works.
It's not a big deal really, just a question of thinking out
of the box a bit - provided, of course, the camera doesn't
hobble the effort right out of the box, such as the Pentax
K-X, which has no external release port at all, and even
there a mechanical solution would be possible.

I think I could support the camera with the butt of the
right hand without a tremor, and even change the dials
and buttons ok on that side. But I just need some other
mechanism to press the shutter. It could be something like
a foot switch, or something the left hand could do, or, as I
said in the first message, something I could chomp down on.

If the external shutter control is electronic, and if it has
seperate contacts for half-press and full-press, then I know
it can be done - it's just a question of functional design
and implementation.

DanP

On 9 Apr, 23:55, "Seymore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Peabody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Seymore says...

> > > Just out of interest, I don't know much about your
> > > condition. *Do you have fully functional use on your
> > > left hand? *How much functionality do you have in your
> > > right hand, etc?

> > Yes, the left hand is normal, and the right hand works fine
> > so long as I'm doing something which requires the right hand
> > to be moving. *But when I try to grasp something and hold it
> > still, or move it slowly and deliberately, the tremor
> > starts. *So, for example, I can write pretty well, type
> > ok, and even play piano, but I can't solder, or get a
> > screwdriver into the slot of a screw, or putt very well.
> > Or, hold the camera steady and deliberately press the
> > shutter.

> > I do use a P&S, and the IS helps some, but to operate a DSLR
> > I would really want a better solution. *Most of what
> > I've done with the P&S has involved a tripod and timer.
> > I've learned to accomodate on a lot of things, and in this
> > case it's just a question of finding a method that works.
> > It's not a big deal really, just a question of thinking out
> > of the box a bit - provided, of course, the camera doesn't
> > hobble the effort right out of the box, such as the Pentax
> > K-X, which has no external release port at all, and even
> > there a mechanical solution would be possible.

> > I think I could support the camera with the butt of the
> > right hand without a tremor, and even change the dials
> > and buttons ok on that side. *But I just need some other
> > mechanism to press the shutter. *It could be something like
> > a foot switch, or something the left hand could do, or, as I
> > said in the first message, something I could chomp down on.

> > If the external shutter control is electronic, and if it has
> > seperate contacts for half-press and full-press, then I know
> > it can be done - it's just a question of functional design
> > and implementation.

> You sound full of sh*t TBH.

There is a chance he is honest and you are a shithead.
Big one.

DanP

Chris Malcolm

Ofnuts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 09/04/2010 00:10, Peabody wrote:
>> I have a fairly severe right-hand dystonia (a kind of tremor), and
>> wondered if a modern DSLR could be operated via a shutter release
>> device that is mouth activated. My last exposure to a cable
>> release was back in the film days when it really was a mechanical
>> shutter.
>>
>> Is there any consistency between DSLR brands and models as to
>> exactly now the external shutter release works? Is it still
>> mechanical, or is it electronic now? Is the half-press function
>> available through such a release?
>>
>> Thanks for any information.

> On teh Canon and Pentax DSLRs, there is a wire remote with two contacts:
> one for half-press (prefocus) and one for full press (shutter release).

Same for Sony DSLRs and probably most others. If the manufacturer only
offers a cable release, a third party manufacturer is sure to offer a
radio remote which does the half and full press.

--
Chris Malcolm

me

On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 17:10:31 -0500, Peabody
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is there any consistency between DSLR brands and models as to
>exactly now the external shutter release works? Is it still
>mechanical, or is it electronic now? Is the half-press function
>available through such a release?

At least in the Nikon line, some use a wireless infrared, some use
wired electronic. Half press is there.

tony cooper

On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 17:31:22 -0500, Peabody
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Seymore says...
>
> > Just out of interest, I don't know much about your
> > condition. Do you have fully functional use on your
> > left hand? How much functionality do you have in your
> > right hand, etc?

>Yes, the left hand is normal, and the right hand works fine
>so long as I'm doing something which requires the right hand
>to be moving. But when I try to grasp something and hold it
>still, or move it slowly and deliberately, the tremor
>starts. So, for example, I can write pretty well, type
>ok, and even play piano, but I can't solder, or get a
>screwdriver into the slot of a screw, or putt very well.

I can't solder, play the piano, or putt very well. If a horrific
slice is also a problem for you, I must have the same disorder as you
do.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida