Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Desktop is suddenly slow as molasses

Re: Desktop is suddenly slow as molasses

Dan C

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 21:32:23 -0500, fatfreek wrote:

> My sister in law's Dell is some 7 years old with WinXP. I just replaced
> the network card hoping that it would help the speed problem as well as
> getting on the net. She can now get on the net but the computer remains
> extremely slow. They are so slow that windows do not simply snap shut
> -- they slowly SCROLL shut taking some 15 to 20 seconds to do just that.
>
> Simply opening Windows Explorer takes several minutes.
>
> Any tips on where I should start?

Start by formatting the hard drive.

Then take up another hobby.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as Rabbit pushed him off the speeding train.

sandy58

On Apr 8, 6:54*am, Dan C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 21:32:23 -0500, fatfreek wrote:
> > My sister in law's Dell is some 7 years old with WinXP. *I just replaced
> > the network card hoping that it would help the speed problem as well as
> > getting on the net. *She can now get on the net but the computer remains
> > extremely slow. *They are so slow that windows do not simply snap shut
> > -- they slowly SCROLL shut taking some 15 to 20 seconds to do just that..

> > Simply opening Windows Explorer takes several minutes.

> > Any tips on where I should start?

> Start by formatting the hard drive.
>
> Then take up another hobby.
>
> --
> "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
> "Bother!" said Pooh, as Rabbit pushed him off the speeding train.
> Usenet Improvement Project:http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
> Thanks, Obama:http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/politica/thanks.jpg

GO, Dan C!!