Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > LAN (Windows 7 and Snow Leopard)

LAN (Windows 7 and Snow Leopard)

Frank Thompson

Have been told I cannot establish a home LAN containing my two
computers. One has Windows 7 OS and the other Snow Leopard OS. Is it
true that I cannot do that. Hear I could have done it with older
operating systems on both machines but not with the newest ones.

Mike Easter

Frank Thompson wrote:
> Have been told I cannot establish a home LAN containing my two
> computers. One has Windows 7 OS and the other Snow Leopard OS. Is it
> true that I cannot do that. Hear I could have done it with older
> operating systems on both machines but not with the newest ones.

Presumably you want your lan to fileshare.

This forum discussion has a lot of useful information, especially coming
from velocityg4 http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=776672
Secure file sharing Windows 7 with Leopard/Snow Leopard

It starts in 2009 Aug with him asking some questions after he has
accomplished file sharing between win7 & leopard and snow leopard. By
2009 Nov he is doing most of the helpful answering.

--
Mike Easter

Keshav Sharma

On 4/7/2010 5:22 PM, Meat Plow wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 21:41:08 +1000, Andy<nospam@>wrote:
>
>> Meat wrote:

>>> You're talking about Apple's OS 10.6 SMB server and kerberos
>>> authentication error. I think there is a workaround but couldn't be
>>> sure.

>> I think the Samba signing issue was actually (****ing finally) *fixed*
>> by Apple in 10.6, after causing problems for years.

> Hmm I've not heard of file sharing issues in previous builds and have
> relatives that use both mac and win on home lans. But they may not
> share printers and such. Guess I'll have to talk to them, one is a Mac
> loving, computer science college grad. I'm sure he can set me
> straight.

Do not know about Mac But myself using Windows 7 and having no problems
using Lan.

gl4317@yahoo.com

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Frank
Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Have been told I cannot establish a home LAN containing my two
> computers. One has Windows 7 OS and the other Snow Leopard OS. Is it
> true that I cannot do that. Hear I could have done it with older
> operating systems on both machines but not with the newest ones.

In addition to what everyone else has said:

It used to be (almost 20 years ago now) that Timbuktu
http://www.netopia.com/software/products/tb2/mac/
had utilities for newtorking and mutual communication between Mac and PCs
over a network. For example, it came with the stuff required to connect
to a PC over a local network and run programs from the Mac on the PC via a
similar setup to what is now called Remote Desktop, only allowing the Mac
to be the remote PC rather than another PC.

I've not had much reason to be involved with large networks of both types
of computers for quite some years, but I would think that some poking
around into their documentation for their latest version may yield some
useful results on how to get the network part of things going - assuming
of course their product is still able to operate in this fashion.

--
-Glennl
Please note this e-mail address is a pit of spam, and most e-mail sent to this address are simply lost in the vast mess.

Frank

I will take many of your hints and try to see what I can do. Should
I start with the Snow Leopard (v10.6.2) machine or the Windows 7
machine?

Mike Easter

Frank wrote:
> I will take many of your hints and try to see what I can do. Should
> I start with the Snow Leopard (v10.6.2) machine or the Windows 7
> machine?

If you (just) reply referencing your own OP and cite nothing, no one can
tell what you are (now) talking about.

You have not described any network topology whatsoever, except that
there is an unknown type connectivity machine running Win7 and an
unknown type connectivity machine running OS 10.6.2.

Let there be something like a router (brand/modelno) and ethernet and/or
wireless, laptop, desktop, or netbook, and some intentions such as file
sharing, internet connectivity, printer sharing, game playing or
something. Also name the v. of Win7.

--
Mike Easter
24hshd only

Jeffrey Goldberg

Frank wrote:
> I will take many of your hints and try to see what I can do. Should
> I start with the Snow Leopard (v10.6.2) machine or the Windows 7
> machine?

Until you explain what it is that you actually want to do it will be
impossible to give you advice.

The world is filled with LANs that contain a mix of OS X and Windows.
There is nothing at all preventing OS X 10.6.2 and Windows 7 from being
on the same LAN.

There may be problems with particular kinds of set-ups, but I can't even
begin to guess without more information.

Cheers,

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg http://goldmark.org/jeff/
I rarely read HTML or poorly quoting posts

Frank Thompson

On Apr 8, 2:37*pm, Jeffrey Goldberg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Frank wrote:
> > I will take many of your hints and try to see what I can do. * Should
> > I start with the Snow Leopard (v10.6.2) machine or the Windows 7
> > machine?

> Until you explain what it is that you actually want to do it will be
> impossible to give you advice.

The two machines are use a wireless connection to the same router. I
want to be able to open and work on files on either machine from
either machine.

Michael Vilain

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Frank Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Apr 8, 2:37*pm, Jeffrey Goldberg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Frank wrote:
> > > I will take many of your hints and try to see what I can do. * Should
> > > I start with the Snow Leopard (v10.6.2) machine or the Windows 7
> > > machine?

> > Until you explain what it is that you actually want to do it will be
> > impossible to give you advice.

> The two machines are use a wireless connection to the same router. I
> want to be able to open and work on files on either machine from
> either machine.

That's really a function of what file-sharing facilities are used by
Windows 7 and MacOS X. Apple uses Apple File Protocol natively. Unless
Windows 7 does also, I would doubt that either would be able to talk
together without some 3rd-party tool being installed.

You can setup SAMBA on MacOS X to share a directory or the entire disk
and Windows XP will see the share just fine. Don't know about Windows
7. Read up on setting up Samba for more info.

Jeffrey Goldberg

Frank Thompson wrote:

> The two machines are use a wireless connection to the same router. I
> want to be able to open and work on files on either machine from
> either machine.

That file sharing should be simple. One of the machines will need to be
set up to share files. I will describe what to do to share the files
from the Mac (since I know that better).

In System Preferences go to Sharing.

Select File Sharing.

Selection "Options"

Check the box that says "Enable SMB sharing"

(Note that in some documentation the SMB file serving protocol is
referred to by the name "CIFS").

Note that if you share from your Mac then your Mac will have to be on
when those files are accessed. Likewise if you do things the other way
round, the Windows machine will have to be on.

A third option is to buy an external NAS (Network Attached Storage).
These are boxes with disks that run various file sharing protocols
(SMB/CIFS, FTP, NFS, AFS). AFS is best for Macs. SMB/CIFS is best for
Windows. These have a network port and you could just plug the thing
into your router.

Cheers,

-j