Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > looking for a camera that fit's my styles

looking for a camera that fit's my styles

Chris Malcolm

Shannon Tucker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Apr 7, 1:37?am, Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> In article <5e6b0577-8afd-4914-91b6-7c4ed68374a9
>> @v20g2000yqv.googlegroups.com>, (E-Mail Removed) says...

>> > I primarily like to shoot candid and informal portraits and then I do
>> > a lot of hiking and fishing. ?I'm looking for a camera that isn't as
>> > heavy or as big as a DSLR .

>> Big - yes. Heavy - not. My 450d with the 'kit quality' 55-250mm lens
>> feels lighter than the powershot sx20is, although it's a bit bulkier.
>> It's also so much faster in operation that I do much prefer it for
>> candid portraits & street photography.
>>
>> The higher quality lenses for the dslr are indeed much heavier.
>>
>> -P.

> My problem with my D70 is that when trying to take candids in the
> context of barbecues, parties and family life, is that the camera
> intimidates people and gets in the way of what I want to capture? If
> people become aware of a point&shoot, it doesn't change their behavior
> as much and pics are more natural, IMHO. The frustration I have with
> most P&S's is that the shutter lags are measured in days rather than
> microseconds.

Get one where you can turn off autofocus and use manual focus --
a few seconds preparation and instantaneous shutter response.

--
Chris Malcolm

Chris Malcolm

tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 07:53:14 -0700 (PDT), Shannon Tucker
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>On Apr 7, 1:37am, Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> In article <5e6b0577-8afd-4914-91b6-7c4ed68374a9
>>> @v20g2000yqv.googlegroups.com>, (E-Mail Removed) says...

>>> Big - yes. Heavy - not. My 450d with the 'kit quality' 55-250mm lens
>>> feels lighter than the powershot sx20is, although it's a bit bulkier.
>>> It's also so much faster in operation that I do much prefer it for
>>> candid portraits & street photography.
>>>
>>> The higher quality lenses for the dslr are indeed much heavier.
>>>
>>> -P.

>>My problem with my D70 is that when trying to take candids in the
>>context of barbecues, parties and family life, is that the camera
>>intimidates people and gets in the way of what I want to capture? If
>>people become aware of a point&shoot, it doesn't change their behavior
>>as much and pics are more natural, IMHO. The frustration I have with
>>most P&S's is that the shutter lags are measured in days rather than
>>microseconds.

> The camera can only intimidate if the subjects are aware of the
> camera. Where you stand and how you move around in the group plays a
> large part in that. If you station yourself on the periphery of the
> action and remain there until your subjects come into view, you will
> be less noticed. Having the patience to wait until people are no
> longer paying attention to you will make all the difference.

> A common work-around to the "I'm being photographed" problem is to
> ostensibly point the camera to someone other than your subject and
> then swing it around at the last second to your primary subject.

Or have the camera at waist level, using a tiltable live view. Or have
the camera on a tripod or table pointing at a view you have set up. You
stand or sit yards away with a radio shutter release in your pocket.

--
Chris Malcolm

JimW

What is
> th common thinking about these cameras? What other camera's should I
> be thinking about?
>
> Shannon

Pentax x90

newshound

"Shannon Tucker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Apr 6, 10:43 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>> On 2010-04-06 22:31:54 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
>> said:

>> > I have a G11.
>> > 3200 on the G11 is marginal and noisy and can look like a smeared oil
>> > painting. If you need to get an image in poor light it will do it for
>> > you. However for acceptable quality ISO 800 will do better. You are
>> > still going to need reasonable light and your best quality shots will
>> > be at ISO 80, 100 & 200, with a push to 400. Unless you absolutely have
>> > to, I would not push it beyond ISO 800, with ISO 1600 on the outer
>> > limit for a picture you might want to keep.
>> > Having said all that, the G11 will produce quality images, gives you
>> > RAW files, and a good control layout.
>> > For what you say you want to use it for, the G11 will do the job quite
>> > well. It is well built and gives you a lot for the money.

>> BTW: high ISO relates to performance in specific light conditions at a
>> given aperture and shutter speed. So in good light at ISO 200-400, with
>> a shutter speed of 1/320 to 1/500, with an appropriate aperture, a G11
>> will deal with "action" well enough.
>> ...but according to your OP, you don't want it for action shooting.
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Savageduck

> Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate them
> immensely.
>

> Some of what I have wanted to do was to take pictures for a local
> dance? I have been asked to shoot people who ask for pics and to
> shoot people on the dance floor. The dance lighting is chaotic and
> not good, but the company that has asked me to take the pictures
> understand this and pics that are sharp and clear are a plus but the
> idea is to show the action. The house parties and family parties and
> get togethers the lighting is better and the action isn't a problem.
> My D70 does ok at the dances, but the parties, it intimidates my
> subjects too much.

I sometimes do similar things, and have a G10 and an Ixus 850 IS. As others
have said the G series is noisy at 3200. I find myself using the Ixus as
much as the G as it is more inconspicuous as well as more pocketable, and to
be honest it can be tough to tell the results apart for "real" shots.
Obviously, the G does give you raw, if you are into that. Both have nice big
screens for checking results.

Peter Huebner

In article <0824de8e-dfe0-49d6-a5f5-7eede880a115
@x12g2000yqx.googlegroups.com>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> The frustration I have with
> most P&S's is that the shutter lags are measured in days rather than
> microseconds.

That's just it, with my p&sses (one older Oly, one new Canon) I
sometimes have shutter-lag between 1 and 2 seconds in mediocre light
conditions. Trying to capture my cat having a mud-wrestling match with
an eel with that lag .... waste of time I found out. The couple you're
trying to capture at the dance may well have danced out of the frame
before your p&s has decided that it's ready.

Anyway, you seem to have a slr already, so - no need to try and sell
coals to Newcastle. By all accounts the G11 is a very nice camera
indeed.

-P.

Bowser

Panasonic FZ35. Very nice combination of small size and weight and
performance.

"Shannon Tucker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I primarily like to shoot candid and informal portraits and then I do
> a lot of hiking and fishing. I'm looking for a camera that isn't as
> heavy or as big as a DSLR .
>
> I've been thinking about the Canon G11 and the Olympus E-PL1. What is
> th common thinking about these cameras? What other camera's should I
> be thinking about?
>
> Shannon

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, artwarner9723
@astalavista.net says...

> Thanks for showing the whole world that you are so ignorant and inept as to
> not know how to use any camera properly. Even a beginner with a P&S camera
> could see how lame you are at any kind of photography by your posting.
>
> Next time, at least RTFM.

****wit!

-P.

Peter Huebner

In article <jwkvn.249$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> Panasonic FZ35. Very nice combination of small size and weight and
> performance.

I was seriously considering that one myself - the reason I didn't go for
it was that it has a fixed screen, which makes it a lot harder to shoot
from unusual angles, say ground-level or waist level. Having a wonky
neck and bad knees I don't like to crane my neck or get my face down to
ground level as much as I loved to 40 years ago.

-P.

Paul Furman

Shannon Tucker wrote:

> My problem with my D70 is that when trying to take candids in the
> context of barbecues, parties and family life, is that the camera
> intimidates people and gets in the way of what I want to capture? If
> people become aware of a point&shoot, it doesn't change their behavior
> as much and pics are more natural, IMHO. The frustration I have with
> most P&S's is that the shutter lags are measured in days rather than
> microseconds.

Try using the D70 from waist level, pre-focused, rather than held up to
your eye. It works well with just a bit of practice. Use a wide angle
lens. Something like a 20mm or 24mm f/2.8 lens should work well and is
quite compact and reasonably priced.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Looking for a digital camera with wide angle lens (equivalent of 28mm on a film camera)... Doghouse Riley Digital Photography 19 08-10-2004 07:55 PM
Re: Looking for a digital camera with wide angle lens (equivalent of 28mm on a film camera)... Julian Tan Digital Photography 0 08-09-2004 03:02 AM
Column Styles Rich MCSD 0 10-02-2003 11:29 PM
Styles missing after upgrade Phil S. ASP .Net 0 07-08-2003 08:17 AM

Advertisments