Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > zypper ps

zypper ps

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

I still run a couple of SuSE systems, one for myself and one for a client.
Today, after doing some non-kernel updates, I got the message

There are some running programs that use files deleted by recent
upgrade. You may wish to restart some of them. Run 'zypper ps' to list
these programs.

I tried this, and yes, it lists processes that need restarting so they will
pick up the updated libraries etc. This feature is only available on SuSE
11.2.

Does Debian provide anything similar? No doubt somebody will write a script
to do it.

victor

> I still run a couple of SuSE systems, one for myself and one for a client.
> Today, after doing some non-kernel updates, I got the message
>
> There are some running programs that use files deleted by recent
> upgrade. You may wish to restart some of them. Run 'zypper ps' to list
> these programs.
>
> I tried this, and yes, it lists processes that need restarting so they will
> pick up the updated libraries etc. This feature is only available on SuSE
> 11.2.
>
> Does Debian provide anything similar? No doubt somebody will write a script
> to do it.

dpkg sometimes asks if you want to restart daemons after upgrades, Stuff
like cups gets restarted automatically.
I don't know if it asks about every running program.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <hpgcuo$1eb$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, victor wrote:

> dpkg sometimes asks if you want to restart daemons after upgrades, Stuff
> like cups gets restarted automatically.

Yeah, that’s true. Though if any libraries get changed that your init
process is linked against, you can’t restart that without rebooting your
system. For instance, on both my Debian Unstable and SuSE systems, I see
that init is linked against some SELinux stuff.

Hmm, the man page says that you can type

init u

to tell init to re-execute itself. That would probably do it.