Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can I run Outlook express and MS Outlook on Windows 7?

Can I run Outlook express and MS Outlook on Windows 7?

Chaudhry

Hi,

I was using XP Pro and now bought a new PC with Windows 7 Home Premium. I
wanted to run Outlook express and MS Outlook on this new one but I can't.

Does Windows Live Mail have the features such as Tasks in MS Outlook please?
It was a good reminder.

How do you insert signatures on this Window Live Mail please?

Rajinder

Mike Easter

Chaudhry wrote:

You are sitting there looking at WLM v.14 while you are writing this.
I'm not.

> I was using XP Pro and now bought a new PC with Windows 7 Home Premium.
> I wanted to run Outlook express and MS Outlook on this new one but I can't.

Correct. WLM is pretty close to OE.

> Does Windows Live Mail have the features such as Tasks in MS Outlook
> please? It was a good reminder.

MS's Live stuff has some of the things that Outlook has, such as
calendaring -- also to integrate with Live Calendaring online.

> How do you insert signatures on this Window Live Mail please?

Try Tools, like OE. Else use its Help function to find your way around.

MS compares WLM with OE here

http://snipr.com/v9zsi Windows Live Mail is similar to both Outlook
Express and Windows Mail, but has these additional features:

--
Mike Easter

Peter Foldes

Chaudhry

You can run WLM in Win7 and you can also run Outlook Express in Win 7 if you run it
in XP mode which is available with all versions of Win7 except the Home version.
Basically to insert a sig in WLM is about the same as it was in OE.

--
Peter

"Chaudhry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Uarun.186927$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> Hi,
>
> I was using XP Pro and now bought a new PC with Windows 7 Home Premium. I wanted
> to run Outlook express and MS Outlook on this new one but I can't.
>
> Does Windows Live Mail have the features such as Tasks in MS Outlook please? It
> was a good reminder.
>
> How do you insert signatures on this Window Live Mail please?
>
> Rajinder

VanguardLH

Chaudhry wrote:

> I was using XP Pro and now bought a new PC with Windows 7 Home Premium. I
> wanted to run Outlook express and MS Outlook on this new one but I can't.
>
> Does Windows Live Mail have the features such as Tasks in MS Outlook please?
> It was a good reminder.
>
> How do you insert signatures on this Window Live Mail please?

Curious as to how you intend to get Outlook Express on Windows 7. Wind7
doesn't come with an e-mail client. You have to install one. OE6 has been
nearly unchanged since 2002 except for security updates and one patch in
2006 for SP-2 for WinXP which was the same year that the OE development
group got disbanded.

There is a way of using OE under XP Mode and VPC 2007 but not with the
default install of Win7. Is your intent to go through the effort of setting
up OE6 to run inside a virtual machine? Oops, you said Win7 *HOME* edition
which means you don't get to use XP Mode.

Unless you upgrade to Win7 Pro, Ultimate, or Enterprise edition to have
available the XP Mode (which gives you a licensed copy of WinXP to run in a
virtual machine), you don't have a means of running OE on Win7. So there is
no issue in running both OE and Outlook on Win7 as OE is out of the picture.

WLM (Windows Live Mail) is similar enough to OE that long-time OE users
should understand how to use most of it. There are significant differences,
however, in where it stores its message store and some behavior changes,
like accounts shown as separate tree branches instead of melded together.

For a more focused community on WLM, its newsgroup is at:
microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop