Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Rebtel & Skype

Rebtel & Skype

Brian A

I've not looked at Rebtel before because it only seemed to do what I
could do myself with other 'tools'. However, I thought I would give it a
try but there is something I'm not getting about it. I read that when you
want to call an international number, or a Skype contact then a 'unique'
local number is issued. However, after adding a Skype contact all I got
was a general access number - certainly not a unique one. I tried using
this general number to call my own 'international number' when prompted
via the local general access number. I tried this and got nowhere.
What I am looking to achieve is a unique number to a Skype ID.

So, how does this all work? I don't find the site very informative it
mostly answers questions where the answers are obvious (well to me
anyway).

--
Please remove 'no_spam_' from email address. SAVE THE BBC Sign petition
http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_bbc/

Brian A

On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 10:04:32 +0000, Brian A wrote:

> I've not looked at Rebtel before because it only seemed to do what I
> could do myself with other 'tools'. However, I thought I would give it a
> try but there is something I'm not getting about it. I read that when
> you want to call an international number, or a Skype contact then a
> 'unique' local number is issued. However, after adding a Skype contact
> all I got was a general access number - certainly not a unique one. I
> tried using this general number to call my own 'international number'
> when prompted via the local general access number. I tried this and got
> nowhere. What I am looking to achieve is a unique number to a Skype ID.
>
> So, how does this all work? I don't find the site very informative it
> mostly answers questions where the answers are obvious (well to me
> anyway).

It's not working yet but I think I have sorted it. I did find a unique
access number but it appears that it has to receive a CLI from a
registered number. Getting there slowly