Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Beware iPAD

Reply
Thread Tools

Beware iPAD

 
 
Frank Williams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2010


NOTE: the iPad needs a 1amp USB port to charge the battery, so most if not
all USB ports will be useless..

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2010
Frank Williams wrote:
>
> NOTE: the iPad needs a 1amp USB port to charge the battery, so most if not
> all USB ports will be useless..


If its like any other new apple product then you will just get a message
that charging is not supported with this accessory unless you get a new
apple charger.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
eyes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2010
On 05/04/10 20:02, EMB wrote:
> On 5/04/2010 7:34 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
>>
>>
>> NOTE: the iPad needs a 1amp USB port to charge the battery, so most if
>> not
>> all USB ports will be useless..
>>

> It is in line with the USB specs Woger.
>
> http://www.usb.org/developers/devcla...arging_1_1.zip


Most computers can only provide 500mA through USB.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2010
eyes wrote:
> On 05/04/10 20:02, EMB wrote:
>> On 5/04/2010 7:34 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> NOTE: the iPad needs a 1amp USB port to charge the battery, so most if
>>> not
>>> all USB ports will be useless..
>>>

>> It is in line with the USB specs Woger.
>>
>> http://www.usb.org/developers/devcla...arging_1_1.zip

>
> Most computers can only provide 500mA through USB.


No, most can supply a lot more as there is either no or global current
limiting on the ports.

How else do you think things like USB powered cup warmers are able to
work. Its the non compliant wall adapters that are the problem.

anyway, there is not a microusb on the apple iPad so it isnt compliant
with the latest USB specs that include charging, it has a propriatary
cable with a fixed A male on it, which AFAIK isnt compliant for the new
USB charge specs.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Frank Williams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2010
On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 20:02:58 +1200, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 5/04/2010 7:34 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
>>
>>
>> NOTE: the iPad needs a 1amp USB port to charge the battery, so most if not
>> all USB ports will be useless..
>>

>It is in line with the USB specs Woger.
>
>http://www.usb.org/developers/devcla...arging_1_1.zip



From the post that I read USB 2 only supports 500ma and there are reports that
stacks of people can't charge there iPad..



 
Reply With Quote
 
David Empson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-06-2010
Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 20:02:58 +1200, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >On 5/04/2010 7:34 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >> NOTE: the iPad needs a 1amp USB port to charge the battery, so most
> >> if not all USB ports will be useless..
> >>

> >It is in line with the USB specs Woger.
> >
> >http://www.usb.org/developers/devcla...arging_1_1.zip

>
> From the post that I read USB 2 only supports 500ma and there are reports
> that stacks of people can't charge there iPad..


So you think some post you read is more accurate than the official USB
standard for supplying more than 500 mA? Read the document above.

A "Charging Downstream Port" connected to a portable device which
implements the protocol correctly can supply up to 900 mA while
communicating at USB 2.0 high speed (480 Mbps), or up to 1.5A while
communicating at USB low/full speed (1.5 or 12 Mbps).

This requires the device and host correctly implement the negotiation
protocol. Some older USB ports are able to blindly supply more than 500
mA, but a correctly implemented USB peripheral (like the iPad) won't
draw more than 500 mA from such a port.

The iPad comes with its own power adapter, so the only issue is that
people with older computers can't charge their iPad while it is plugged
into the computer and active. Just use the power adapter instead if you
need to charge the iPad, or put the iPad to sleep after the sync, and it
will charge via USB (much slower than using the power adapter).

After the initial setup and major sync of media, plugging into a
computer is only an occasional task (depending on how often you need to
synchronize new media, contact information, etc.) For day-to-day
operation, you just use the power adapter.

If you have a new enough computer with USB ports that support the
official battery charging mechanism, the iPad will also be able to
charge its battery while plugged into the computer and active, but this
will still be slower than using the power adapter.

Apple's own computers started supporting this feature in 2008, so older
Mac models can't charge an iPad (unless it is asleep). I don't know when
the battery charging mechanism was or will be supported in other brands.

It will get easier as people replace older computers with newer models
that support this feature.

You can also use any other USB power adapter or hub which supports the
battery charging standard, e.g. the adapter supplied with an iPhone, and
presumably many third party ones. The iPad's power adapter is rated at
10W, so it will be the fastest way to charge the battery. The iPhone
power adapter is 5W.

Here is Apple's official documentation on charging the iPad battery:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4060

--
David Empson
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Frank Williams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-06-2010
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 12:18:50 +1200, (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:

>Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 20:02:58 +1200, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >On 5/04/2010 7:34 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> NOTE: the iPad needs a 1amp USB port to charge the battery, so most
>> >> if not all USB ports will be useless..
>> >>
>> >It is in line with the USB specs Woger.
>> >
>> >http://www.usb.org/developers/devcla...arging_1_1.zip

>>
>> From the post that I read USB 2 only supports 500ma and there are reports
>> that stacks of people can't charge there iPad..

>
>Here is Apple's official documentation on charging the iPad battery:
>
>http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4060




And its been posted that its Totally WRONG, read the links that I posted..
 
Reply With Quote
 
victor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-06-2010
On 06/04/10 10:26, Frank Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 20:02:58 +1200, EMB<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 5/04/2010 7:34 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> NOTE: the iPad needs a 1amp USB port to charge the battery, so most if not
>>> all USB ports will be useless..
>>>

>> It is in line with the USB specs Woger.
>>
>> http://www.usb.org/developers/devcla...arging_1_1.zip

>
>
> From the post that I read USB 2 only supports 500ma and there are reports that
> stacks of people can't charge there iPad..
>
>
>


The iPad comes with a charger, are they having trouble plugging it into
the wall or something ?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Frank Williams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-06-2010
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 16:11:16 +1200, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <hpe84h$vts$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, (E-Mail Removed)
>says...
>>
>> On 06/04/10 10:26, Frank Williams wrote:
>> > On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 20:02:58 +1200, EMB<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >
>> >> On 5/04/2010 7:34 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>> NOTE: the iPad needs a 1amp USB port to charge the battery, so most if not
>> >>> all USB ports will be useless..
>> >>>
>> >> It is in line with the USB specs Woger.
>> >>
>> >> http://www.usb.org/developers/devcla...arging_1_1.zip
>> >
>> >
>> > From the post that I read USB 2 only supports 500ma and there are reports that
>> > stacks of people can't charge there iPad..
>> >
>> >
>> >

>>
>> The iPad comes with a charger, are they having trouble plugging it into
>> the wall or something ?

>
>It can ONLY BE DONE BY MAINFRAME engineers. ONLY IDIOTS don't know
>that.




Stop being a Dumbo go read the links that I posted, that Totally explains it
all.


You cant put software onto the iPad with just a USB Charger, or do you think
you can..??

 
Reply With Quote
 
David Empson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-06-2010
Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 12:18:50 +1200, (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:
>
> >Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 20:02:58 +1200, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>
> >> >On 5/04/2010 7:34 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >> NOTE: the iPad needs a 1amp USB port to charge the battery, so most
> >> >> if not all USB ports will be useless..
> >> >>
> >> >It is in line with the USB specs Woger.
> >> >
> >> >http://www.usb.org/developers/devcla...arging_1_1.zip
> >>
> >> From the post that I read USB 2 only supports 500ma and there are reports
> >> that stacks of people can't charge there iPad..

> >
> >Here is Apple's official documentation on charging the iPad battery:
> >
> >http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4060

>
> And its been posted that its Totally WRONG, read the links that I posted..


Try again, Roger. You didn't post any links in this thread, just some
vague and misleading claims which I debunked in my previous post.

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: iPad -- WOW! Breakthrought technology Sweetpea NZ Computing 21 02-02-2010 09:39 AM
Re: iPad - sad joke's on you victor NZ Computing 2 02-01-2010 08:35 PM
Re: iPad - sad joke's on you Mike Dee NZ Computing 2 01-30-2010 01:06 AM
Apple announces new "ipad" richard Computer Support 6 01-28-2010 05:59 AM



Advertisments