Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > GPS signal generation using a FPGA

GPS signal generation using a FPGA

enisosousse enisosousse is offline
Junior Member

Hi,
I'm working on a project dealing with GNSS signals (GPS/Galileo).I would like to generate a GPS signal using a Xilinx Spartan 3 FPGA.The carrier wave is a sine wave of frequency 1575.42 MHz.
I am a beginner in this field so I want to know:
1) Is it possible to generate such signal with a FPGA? If yes how?
2) If this is possible, is this FPGA appropriate?

Kind regards

rman1234 rman1234 is offline
Junior Member

Unfortunately, no, not possible. You're talking about a 1.5GHz sine wave that you can modulate over some frequency range? The fastest FPGAs today operate in the 300MHz range. Not to mention, FPGAs output only 1's and 0's, not sine waves with varying amplitude.

I have no good suggestions on how to accomplish your goal. Sorry.