Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Where to buy a Desktop with winXp *now*

Where to buy a Desktop with winXp *now*

CP

....that MicroShifty is pushing W-7 so hard?

Myself, I'm running a new Studio under WinXP SP3, and a very close
friend wants to do likewise -- BUT I bought it last September and
stowed it away until my old system refused to boot during the winter.

Now, I know that Toshiba is still shipping WinXP on a few laptops --
but Dell has it only on a Notebook, which is so light that not only
does it have just one gig of RAM, but an optical drive is a cost-extra
feature. (Not to mention such an external drive would be slower than
an internal one, because of the USB port, right?)

I imagine that there are still many new Dell XP laptops with suitable
warantees out there for sale, just not at the factory any more.

Anyone know of any reliable sources?

Thanks for taking the time.

CP

P.S. I'm already going to look on Ebay

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

CP wrote:

> ...that MicroShifty is pushing W-7 so hard?

My Chevrolet dealer is pushing 2010 models, not 2001 models...

> Myself, I'm running a new Studio under WinXP SP3, and a very close
> friend wants to do likewise -- BUT I bought it last September and
> stowed it away until my old system refused to boot during the winter.

Fix the old system! Why won't it boot? Viruses?

> Now, I know that Toshiba is still shipping WinXP on a few laptops --
> but Dell has it only on a Notebook, which is so light that not only
> does it have just one gig of RAM, but an optical drive is a
> cost-extra feature. (Not to mention such an external drive would be
> slower than an internal one, because of the USB port, right?)
>
> I imagine that there are still many new Dell XP laptops with suitable
> warantees out there for sale, just not at the factory any more.
>
> Anyone know of any reliable sources?

Have you visited your local Mom'n'Pop Shop? All the ones 'round me will
build you whatever you ask for.

--
-bts

freemont

On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 00:41:26 +0000, CP writ:

> I imagine that there are still many new Dell XP laptops with suitable
> warantees out there for sale, just not at the factory any more.

Try the Dell outlet.

http://www.dell.com/content/segmente...=us&l=en&s=dfo
--
⁂ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
⁂ Beware the 24hoursupport tards:

OldGringo38

Two Cents To The CP Post:
> ....that MicroShifty is pushing W-7 so hard?
>
> Myself, I'm running a new Studio under WinXP SP3, and a very close
> friend wants to do likewise -- BUT I bought it last September and
> stowed it away until my old system refused to boot during the winter.
>
> Now, I know that Toshiba is still shipping WinXP on a few laptops --
> but Dell has it only on a Notebook, which is so light that not only
> does it have just one gig of RAM, but an optical drive is a cost-extra
> feature. (Not to mention such an external drive would be slower than
> an internal one, because of the USB port, right?)
>
> I imagine that there are still many new Dell XP laptops with suitable
> warantees out there for sale, just not at the factory any more.
>
> Anyone know of any reliable sources?
>
> Thanks for taking the time.
>
> CP
>

> P.S. I'm already going to look on Ebay

Amazon.com has a few.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ows+XP&x=0&y=0

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere

Mike Easter

CP wrote:
Subject: Where to buy a Desktop with winXp *now*

Other approaches:

Buy a new low resource system with XP, whose resources are so low that
the OEM is permitted to sell it with XP, and boost the resources, such
as populating the ram to suit yourself.

-or-

Buy a new slightly over-the-hill system, such as one with Vista which is
very low priced and install 'your own' XP on it. Be careful that you
can find XP drivers for the hardware.

-or-

Build your own system and put 'your own' XP on it. Same driver admonition.

Where 'your own' XP can be a legal licensed XP you bought somewhere, or
alternatively some pirated version which you should approach very
cautiously.

The pirated versions have significant advantages and significant
disadvantages.

--
Mike Easter

Bert Hyman

In news:Xns9D4ED2794BB2AZeiGesundt@209.197.15.254 CP
<Answer.in.NG.if@all.> wrote:

> ...that MicroShifty is pushing W-7 so hard?

As a last resort, you could buy XP and install it yourself:

XP Pro SP3 OEM, $190.

Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

CP

Thanks, people.