Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: OS for 4GB RAM

Re: OS for 4GB RAM

JD

On 02/04/2010 6:55 PM, James D. Andrews wrote:
> Do I need to use a 64-bit OS with 4GB RAM, or will 32-bit work? I was
> reading today that the 32-bit will only support 3GB. Don't know how true
> that is.
>
> I suppose it would be nice to know before I go and buy an OS.
>

> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) ---

Your CPU is 64 bit, its a new system it will run x64 no problems,
however if you want to run XP 32bit (there is ofcoarse XP x64, but skip
that and go to win7 if your going x64) or whatever you can still install
your 4gb of ram as it has PAE (Physical Address Extension) however you
cannot install any more than 4Gb with a 32 bit OS

if you are buying an OS you will probably find that win7 is cheaper than
XP, if your buying the full retail version you get both 32 and 64 bit
versions (so you could try one out before activating) unfortunatley the
OEM versions are ether 32 or 64 bit so you will have to choose.

I use the 64 bit version of win7 on my main machine, but have the 32bit
version installed on the older machine as there is a driver missing for
one of the devices on the NFORCE 4 chipset, both are good.

PAE:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...AE/PAEdrv.mspx

JD