Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Tesco Internet phone customers saved!

Tesco Internet phone customers saved!

Bodincus

Phew!

http://www.voip-news.co.uk/2010/04/0...oip-customers/

--
Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
************************

Graham.

"Bodincus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:8%jtn.368465$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> Phew!
>
> http://www.voip-news.co.uk/2010/04/0...oip-customers/

They should have embargoed this till Sunday, then we would have had two
"miracles" to celebrate.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

andy

On 2 Apr, 11:51, Bodincus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Phew!

There are probably loads of VoIP companies hoping to recruit more
customers

Why single out a press release from only one?

Vicktor Whieste

On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 11:53:41 -0700, andy wrote:

> On 2 Apr, 11:51, Bodincus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Phew!
>>

> There are probably loads of VoIP companies hoping to recruit more
> customers
>
> Why single out a press release from only one?

It's really quite simple - it's called 'spam' I will miss their free
IAX service - but we move on to green pastures.

Brian A

On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 19:10:03 +0000, Vicktor Whieste wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 11:53:41 -0700, andy wrote:
>
>> On 2 Apr, 11:51, Bodincus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Phew!
>>>

>> There are probably loads of VoIP companies hoping to recruit more
>> customers
>>
>> Why single out a press release from only one?

> It's really quite simple - it's called 'spam' I will miss their free
> IAX service - but we move on to green pastures.

Just looked at the prices of this 'saviour'.
It might seem to ignorant(no offence intended) Tesco phone customers that this is a good deal but it isn't.
It is a crap deal by voip standards.

--
Please remove 'no_spam_' from email address. SAVE THE BBC Sign petition
http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_bbc/

Graham.

"andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2 Apr, 11:51, Bodincus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Phew!
>>

> There are probably loads of VoIP companies hoping to recruit more
> customers
>
> Why single out a press release from only one?

You see a press release. I see a paid for advertisement.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Bodincus

Brian A:
> On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 19:10:03 +0000, Vicktor Whieste wrote:

>>> There are probably loads of VoIP companies hoping to recruit more
>>> customers
>>>
>>> Why single out a press release from only one?

>> It's really quite simple - it's called 'spam' I will miss their free
>> IAX service - but we move on to green pastures.

No spam at all - just trying to be helpful. The "Tesco Internet Phone
closing" message got 20+ replies.

> Just looked at the prices of this 'saviour'.
> It might seem to ignorant(no offence intended) Tesco phone customers that this is a good deal but it isn't.
> It is a crap deal by voip standards.

Sure, if you're after the plethora of Betamax clones et al, and geeky
enough to fiddle with softphone based registrations, DDI redirections
and many other tricks of the trade I know probably better than you.
But Tesco VoIP customers aren't after saving the last hundredth of a
penny, neither are happy to spend months to get all the knowledge we
have so they can roll their own IP PBX.
They want their phones they bought in a supermarket to keep working as
they did before, plug, play & forget.
</lesson over>
--
Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
************************
Law 42 on computing:
Anything that could fail, will break at the worst possible mom%*= ?@@
# Access Violation - Core dumped
# Kernel Panic

Bodincus

Graham.:
> "andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 2 Apr, 11:51, Bodincus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Phew!
>>>

>> There are probably loads of VoIP companies hoping to recruit more
>> customers
>>
>> Why single out a press release from only one?

> You see a press release. I see a paid for advertisement.

Better than a poke in the eye or a lot of hardware going to landfill...

Sorry if you got this the wrong way around, I haven't ANY interest in
this, but by the volume of messages on the NG about this I thought that
passing on the info wasn't a bad idea or doing any harm.

Tesco branded Gigaset units are locked, the only way out is if another
provide can /take over/, otherwise they're becoming nice expensive
doorstoppers.
--
Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
************************

"Bodincus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:ITxtn.85455$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> Graham.:
>>>>
>>> There are probably loads of VoIP companies hoping to recruit more
>>> customers
>>>
>>> Why single out a press release from only one?

>> You see a press release. I see a paid for advertisement.

> Better than a poke in the eye or a lot of hardware going to landfill...
>
> Sorry if you got this the wrong way around, I haven't ANY interest in this, but by the volume of messages on the NG about this I
> thought that passing on the info wasn't a bad idea or doing any harm.
>
> Tesco branded Gigaset units are locked, the only way out is if another provide can /take over/, otherwise they're becoming nice
> expensive doorstoppers.

Your posting was on-topic and interesting Bodincus, and no one is shooting the messenger,

It's just that we (or maybe just me) thought you were indicating a non-story with the '!' in the subject, and being ironic when you
said "Phew!"

Anyway, where does it actually say that the Tesco hardware will continue to work?
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

alexd

On 03/04/10 08:57, Graham. wrote:

> Anyway, where does it actually say that the Tesco hardware will continue to work?

It doesn't, but this bit is encouraging on the hardware front:

# Tesco VoIP customers who have previously purchased a Tesco internet
# phone and benefited from their cheap international calls and free
# calls within the Tesco network, will now be able to reap the benefits
# of Cloud Netís cutting-edge internet phone system.

Reading further on it says hardware is included in the monthly fee, so
perhaps the news isn't so good after all.

Any TIP customers wanting to keep their numbers might be a little
discouraged by this:

# Tesco customers switching to Cloud Netís system will also receive a
# choice of phone numbers from Cloud Netís selection

So it does seem like a bit of opportunistic marketing rather than an
official takeover.

22:20:27 up 60 days, 3:57, 1 user, load average: 0.71, 0.25, 0.14
It is better to have been wasted and then sober
than to never have been wasted at all