Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Replacement for Canon S3IS?

Replacement for Canon S3IS?

gA

My 2-yr old Canon S3IS was stolen and I am devastated. When the S5
came out I went and bought the S3 because I liked it better. Now I
need to replace it and I would appreciate any good advice.

This is what I liked about my S3, among other features:
- point & shoot and compact size/lightweight
- full swivel LCD
- good quality movies
- used normal AA batteries and SD memory cards
- vertical/horizontal panoramic
- quiet on/off and zoom
- image stabilization.
My only disappointment was the quality of low-light photography.

Thanks in advance
- gA

Toxic

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 18:42:37 -0600, gA wrote:

> My 2-yr old Canon S3IS was stolen and I am devastated. When the S5 came
> out I went and bought the S3 because I liked it better. Now I need to
> replace it and I would appreciate any good advice.

I replaced my S1-IS with the S2-IS when it came out and didn't have the
ready wherewithal to follow into the S3 nor S5, but now am considering
the SX1-IS http://tinyurl.com/SX1-IS Looks promising however as soon as I
manage to get one they'll unlock some more of the CHDK tricks in an SX2.

ray

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 18:42:37 -0600, gA wrote:

> My 2-yr old Canon S3IS was stolen and I am devastated. When the S5 came
> out I went and bought the S3 because I liked it better. Now I need to
> replace it and I would appreciate any good advice.
>
> This is what I liked about my S3, among other features: - point & shoot
> and compact size/lightweight - full swivel LCD
> - good quality movies
> - used normal AA batteries and SD memory cards - vertical/horizontal
> panoramic
> - quiet on/off and zoom
> - image stabilization.
> My only disappointment was the quality of low-light photography.
>
> Thanks in advance
> - gA

So have you checked the canon online store to see if they still sell
them? Might make you a good deal on a refurb.

SMS

On 31/03/10 5:42 PM, gA wrote:
> My 2-yr old Canon S3IS was stolen and I am devastated. When the S5 came
> out I went and bought the S3 because I liked it better. Now I need to
> replace it and I would appreciate any good advice.
>
> This is what I liked about my S3, among other features:
> - point & shoot and compact size/lightweight
> - full swivel LCD
> - good quality movies
> - used normal AA batteries and SD memory cards
> - vertical/horizontal panoramic
> - quiet on/off and zoom
> - image stabilization.
> My only disappointment was the quality of low-light photography.
>
> Thanks in advance
> - gA

SX20 IS is probably your best bet. Low light still won't be great, but
that's going to be the case on all P&S cameras with small sensors.

CHDK for the SX20 IS is still in Beta, but at least you know that it's
coming eventually.

DanP

On 1 Apr, 02:09, ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 18:42:37 -0600, gA wrote:
> > My 2-yr old Canon S3IS was stolen and I am devastated. When the S5 came
> > out I went and bought the S3 because I liked it better. Now I need to
> > replace it and I would appreciate any good advice.

> > This is what I liked about my S3, among other features: - point & shoot
> > and compact size/lightweight - full swivel LCD
> > - good quality movies
> > - used normal AA batteries and SD memory cards - vertical/horizontal
> > panoramic
> > - quiet on/off and zoom
> > - image stabilization.
> > My only disappointment was the quality of low-light photography.

> > Thanks in advance
> > - gA

> So have you checked the canon online store to see if they still sell
> them? Might make you a good deal on a refurb.

Good point, if this is your perfect camera stick with it.
Try Amazon for used ones, a lot cheaper than a new one.

DanP

gA

After much research I chose the Sony DSC HX1 with a CMOS processor.
Thank you all that took the time to help me.
- gA