Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Simple IQ test

Simple IQ test

richard

Ok before I even start this, don't be surprised to know that 97% of people
who try this one simple question, get it wrong.

On a piece of paper, draw a 3x3 grid of squares so that all square blocks
are equal in size.

Question? How many squares do you see before you?

doS

news:1cxjz05vsm1q4.1uswtzetl59rz$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Ok before I even start this, don't be surprised to know that 97% of people
> who try this one simple question, get it wrong.
>
> On a piece of paper, draw a 3x3 grid of squares so that all square blocks
> are equal in size.
>
> Question? How many squares do you see before you?

Mike Easter

richard wrote:

> On a piece of paper, draw a 3x3 grid of squares so that all square blocks
> are equal in size.

I don't understand the description of the project. Could you restate
that? It seems like you got something wrong in the instructions.

Does 3x3 mean 3 squares by 3 squares which would seem to make a square
'grid' of 9 little squares? That grid would have a lot of different
squares, one big one, and 4 different 2x2s, in addition to the 9 little
ones.

Of course, that wouldn't satisfy the idea of all the possible square
outlines to be the same size, given that it seems to me that the grid
has 3 different sized square shapes totaling 14 square entities.

--
Mike Easter

richard

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 22:09:36 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

> richard wrote:
>
>> On a piece of paper, draw a 3x3 grid of squares so that all square blocks
>> are equal in size.

> I don't understand the description of the project. Could you restate
> that? It seems like you got something wrong in the instructions.
>
> Does 3x3 mean 3 squares by 3 squares which would seem to make a square
> 'grid' of 9 little squares? That grid would have a lot of different
> squares, one big one, and 4 different 2x2s, in addition to the 9 little
> ones.
>
> Of course, that wouldn't satisfy the idea of all the possible square
> outlines to be the same size, given that it seems to me that the grid
> has 3 different sized square shapes totaling 14 square entities.

Correct.
Most people only see the original 9, not bothering to count the largest
"square" which then makes 10. As the keyword in the question is "squares",
then that means there are 4 other inner squares.

Thus, the answer is in fact, 14.

richard

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 00:52:03 -0400, doS wrote:

> 10

wrong!

14.

Desk Rabbit

On 31/03/2010 05:44, richard wrote:
> Ok before I even start this, don't be surprised to know that 97% of people
> who try this one simple question, get it wrong.
>
> On a piece of paper, draw a 3x3 grid of squares so that all square blocks
> are equal in size.
>
> Question? How many squares do you see before you?

You are right, that is a simple IQ test, doesn't even require drawing on
paper as it is simple to visualise 14 squares in that drawing.

So, have you been for a job interview and wondering which question you
got wrong?

For example: John Smith

richard wrote:
> Ok before I even start this, don't be surprised to know that 97% of
> people who try this one simple question, get it wrong.
>
> On a piece of paper, draw a 3x3 grid of squares so that all square
> blocks are equal in size.
>
> Question? How many squares do you see before you?

Lars Eighner

In our last episode,
<1cxjz05vsm1q4.1uswtzetl59rz$(E-Mail Removed)>,
the lovely and talented richard
broadcast on 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Ok before I even start this, don't be surprised to know that 97% of people
> who try this one simple question, get it wrong.

> On a piece of paper, draw a 3x3 grid of squares so that all square blocks
> are equal in size.

> Question? How many squares do you see before you?

I make it 9 1x1, 4 2x2, 1 3x3.

--
Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/> Warbama's Afghaninam day: 119
2864.9 hours since Warbama declared Viet Nam II.

rf

news:1cxjz05vsm1q4.1uswtzetl59rz$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Ok before I even start this, don't be surprised to know that 97% of people
> who try this one simple question, get it wrong.
>
> On a piece of paper, draw a 3x3 grid of squares so that all square blocks
> are equal in size.
>
> Question? How many squares do you see before you?

Fifteen. Including the square peice of paper I drew the squares on.

Whiskers

On 2010-03-31, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ok before I even start this, don't be surprised to know that 97% of people
> who try this one simple question, get it wrong.
>
> On a piece of paper, draw a 3x3 grid of squares so that all square blocks
> are equal in size.
>
> Question? How many squares do you see before you?

How many do you want?

--
-- Whiskers