Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Free MS Study Guide and Exam

Free MS Study Guide and Exam

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

"Paul_Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Got an email today from MS for:
> "The Windows 7 Deployment Learning Portal, built by The Test Factory, is
> a free assessment and training portal that will help make deploying
> Windows 7 as simple as the operating system itself. "
>
> The first 500 to take all the tests and pass them (11 tests in total)
> receive a voucher to sit 70-680 Configuring Windows 7 Exam and the first
> 150 will also receive the 70-680 Configuring Windows 7 Exam study guide.

The website T&C says this is for UK residents only???

Most interesting. . . first time I've seen a Microsoft.com promo that:
[a] Wasn't US only, and
[b] Wasn't available to US residents at all!

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

"Paul_Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> The link to register is:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/windows...?ITPID=proplan

Of course, what's really amusing is that this link takes you to a page in
the ==en-us== content tree!

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA

Paul_Jones

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 11:35:09 -0500, "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Paul_Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Got an email today from MS for:
>> "The Windows 7 Deployment Learning Portal, built by The Test Factory, is
>> a free assessment and training portal that will help make deploying
>> Windows 7 as simple as the operating system itself. "
>>
>> The first 500 to take all the tests and pass them (11 tests in total)
>> receive a voucher to sit 70-680 Configuring Windows 7 Exam and the first
>> 150 will also receive the 70-680 Configuring Windows 7 Exam study guide.

>The website T&C says this is for UK residents only???

I never read them, but I did suspect this was the case when the take-up
seemed so slow.
I was expecting to have missed out on the freebies when I took the
tests, 8 hours after I received the email. Thought maybe I had caught
those in the US napping

>Most interesting. . . first time I've seen a Microsoft.com promo that:
>[a] Wasn't US only, and
>[b] Wasn't available to US residents at all!

Most unusual. Well as a Brit I hope this ([a]) is the first of many

Paul_Jones

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 22:16:21 +0100, Chris M <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 01/04/2010 18:45, Paul_Jones wrote:
>> On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 18:32:04 +0100, Paul_Jones
>> Also I just registered for the second shot at:
>> http://www.prometric.com/Microsoft/S...form.htm?s=ssm
>> Now I get two goes at the 70-680 exam for free.

>I'd be surprised if the Prometric site will let you use the free exam
>voucher code and the second shot voucher code at the same time... worth
>a try though!

Looks like you are correct (I just received an email reply):
----------------
"Please be informed that you will be able to use either of the two
vouchers; but not both at the same time for your exam registration.

Also be informed, you may use only one voucher (for complete/partial
payment) per exam registration. In case you wish to avail the second
shot offer, you may use the second shot voucher provided by Microsoft
for the exam registration. You will have to pay the balance amount using
a credit card while registering online or you may contact the contact
center/testing site regarding the same.

We hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to contact us if
further assistance is needed."

Still. I very much doubt I will need a second shot at this, 70-680,
exam.
The practice tests in the book are easy enough, which, to me, is usually
indicative of my likelihood on passing a live exam.
Never failed one yet but in the 70-291 I did get a score of 700 (and 700
was the pass mark), which was cutting it a bit fine.
Annoying really as I will never have any *bragging rights* with this
exam result