Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Need a hand~

Need a hand~

Dorje

Hi, all,
I can not freely access the website of google group, so I want to know
how
to public a topic and reply a specific topic by using gmail or any
other email, many
thanks~

Andrew Poelstra

On 2010-03-30, Dorje <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi, all,
> I can not freely access the website of google group, so I want to know
> how
> to public a topic and reply a specific topic by using gmail or any
> other email, many
> thanks~

This is Usenet, which is a different protocal (NNTP) than email
(SMTP). Your ISP probably has a newsserver you can use to post
messages, plus there are a number of free ones on the Internet.

It is pretty hard to find a worse interface than Google's. At
the very least, others will not pretend that they "own" Usenet
and brand it using their own "Groups" service.

--
Andrew Poelstra
http://www.wpsoftware.net/andrew

Dorje

On Mar 31, 12:50*am, Andrew Poelstra <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On 2010-03-30, Dorje <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hi, all,
> > I can not freely access the website of google group, so I want to know
> > how
> > to public a topic and reply a specific topic by using gmail or any
> > other email, many
> > thanks~

> This is Usenet, which is a different protocal (NNTP) than email
> (SMTP). Your ISP probably has a newsserver you can use to post
> messages, plus there are a number of free ones on the Internet.
>
> It is pretty hard to find a worse interface than Google's. At
> the very least, others will not pretend that they "own" Usenet
> and brand it using their own "Groups" service.
>
> --
> Andrew Poelstrahttp://www.wpsoftware.net/andrew

Thank you for your help~

Keith Thompson

Andrew Poelstra <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> On 2010-03-30, Dorje <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I can not freely access the website of google group, so I want to know
>> how
>> to public a topic and reply a specific topic by using gmail or any
>> other email, many
>> thanks~

> This is Usenet, which is a different protocal (NNTP) than email
> (SMTP). Your ISP probably has a newsserver you can use to post
> messages, plus there are a number of free ones on the Internet.

Most ISPs don't have news servers these days. But yes, there are some
good free ones (I use news.eternal-september.org; aioe.org is also
pretty good).

You'll need an NNTP client; there are a number of good free ones.
Many e-mail clients also support NNTP (Thunderbird does, for example).

> It is pretty hard to find a worse interface than Google's. At
> the very least, others will not pretend that they "own" Usenet
> and brand it using their own "Groups" service.

Actually, there are a number of other sites that do just that. A
Google search on some topic I've posted on sometimes turns up one of
my own articles in a forum I've never heard of, with no obvious
indication that it was actually posted to Usenet.

Nokia

August Karlstrom

Andrew Poelstra wrote:
> It is pretty hard to find a worse interface than Google's. At
> the very least, others will not pretend that they "own" Usenet
> and brand it using their own "Groups" service.

You may wonder if they consider this to be in line with the motto "Don't
be evil".

August

Andrew Poelstra

On 2010-03-30, Keith Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Andrew Poelstra <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> On 2010-03-30, Dorje <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I can not freely access the website of google group, so I want to know
>>> how
>>> to public a topic and reply a specific topic by using gmail or any
>>> other email, many
>>> thanks~

>> This is Usenet, which is a different protocal (NNTP) than email
>> (SMTP). Your ISP probably has a newsserver you can use to post
>> messages, plus there are a number of free ones on the Internet.

> Most ISPs don't have news servers these days. But yes, there are some
> good free ones (I use news.eternal-september.org; aioe.org is also
> pretty good).

Hmm. I remember overhearing (over-reading?) somebody here suggesting
that someone else check his ISP for a newsserver. It turns out myISP
does have one; and had that person not suggested checking into it,
I probably wouldn't have ever known.

(I use Shaw Communications.)

> You'll need an NNTP client; there are a number of good free ones.
> Many e-mail clients also support NNTP (Thunderbird does, for example).
>
>> It is pretty hard to find a worse interface than Google's. At
>> the very least, others will not pretend that they "own" Usenet
>> and brand it using their own "Groups" service.

> Actually, there are a number of other sites that do just that. A
> Google search on some topic I've posted on sometimes turns up one of
> my own articles in a forum I've never heard of, with no obvious
> indication that it was actually posted to Usenet.

I've noticed that, but I'm not sure that you can actually /post/
from these "archival" sites.