Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > insert html into html

insert html into html

mcnewsxp

how can i insert one html page into another. i have a main page that
contains several tables. the tables change while the page does not.
so i would like to insert some code that would display the tables
exactly where i would like them positioned.
i started fooling around with object type equal, but not much joy with
IE.

tia,
mcnewsxp

Andy Dingley

On 30 Mar, 15:57, mcnewsxp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> how can i insert one html page into another. *

Best is to do it server-side. Any scripting language, or SSI
(probably your best all-round choice)

If you're stuck doing it client-side, use <iframe>. Don't use frames.

mcnewsxp

On Mar 30, 11:24*am, Andy Dingley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 30 Mar, 15:57, mcnewsxp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > how can i insert one html page into another. *

> Best is to do it server-side. *Any scripting language, or SSI
> (probably your best all-round choice)
>
> If you're stuck doing it client-side, use <iframe>. Don't use frames.

perfect!
thanks.

mcnewsxp

On Mar 30, 11:24*am, Andy Dingley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 30 Mar, 15:57, mcnewsxp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > how can i insert one html page into another. *

> Best is to do it server-side. *Any scripting language, or SSI
> (probably your best all-round choice)
>
> If you're stuck doing it client-side, use <iframe>. Don't use frames.

well almost perfect.
height is not interpreted the same from browser to browser. is the a
way to make it fit within existing text?

David Segall

mcnewsxp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>how can i insert one html page into another. i have a main page that
>contains several tables. the tables change while the page does not.
>so i would like to insert some code that would display the tables
>exactly where i would like them positioned.

If the changes are not too frequent and you know when they occur you
might like to investigate a pre-processor that updates the tables
before you upload the web pages. Roedy Green describes
the technique and some tools at
<http://mindprod.com/jgloss/htmlstaticmacros.html>.

Jukka K. Korpela

mcnewsxp wrote:

> On Mar 30, 11:24 am, Andy Dingley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 30 Mar, 15:57, mcnewsxp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> how can i insert one html page into another.

>> Best is to do it server-side. Any scripting language, or SSI
>> (probably your best all-round choice)
>>
>> If you're stuck doing it client-side, use <iframe>. Don't use frames.

> well almost perfect.

You didn't take the good advice, did you? Instead, you tried the inferior
surrogate, <iframe>. I have sympathy for people who have to use it (I have
to, in some contexts), but you get no sympathy points without a URL

> height is not interpreted the same from browser to browser.

Maybe, maybe not. That's not your real problem, is it?

> is the a way to make it fit within existing text?

No. That's part of being an <iframe>.

So why not tell us what you are really doing?

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

mcnewsxp

On Mar 30, 12:02*pm, "Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> mcnewsxp wrote:

> >> Best is to do it server-side. Any scripting language, or SSI
> >> (probably your best all-round choice)

> >> If you're stuck doing it client-side, use <iframe>. Don't use frames.

> > well almost perfect.

> You didn't take the good advice, did you? Instead, you tried the inferior
> surrogate, <iframe>. I have sympathy for people who have to use it (I have
> to, in some contexts), but you get no sympathy points without a URL
>
> > height is not interpreted the same from browser to browser.

> Maybe, maybe not. That's not your real problem, is it?
>
> > *is the a way to make it fit within existing text?

> No. That's part of being an <iframe>.
>
> So why not tell us what you are really doing?
>
> --
> Yucca,http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

i would like to insert some code that would display the tables
exactly where i would like them positioned

mcnewsxp

iframe is ok. found some javascript to help sort out the heght issue. works
lovely for IE, but needs improvement for firefox.

cwdjrxyz

On Mar 30, 9:57*am, mcnewsxp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> how can i insert one html page into another. *i have a main page that
> contains several tables. *the tables change while the page does not.
> so i would like to insert some code that would display the tables
> exactly where i would like them positioned.
> i started fooling around with object type equal, but not much joy with
> IE.

It has long been possible to embed one web page in another web page
using proper w3c code. The w3c schools has had an example up for
years. The problem is that this will not work on IE browsers. However
there is an ActiveX object for IE that will embed one page in another
and that validates at w3c. The problem with it is that it will not
work on most other browsers that do not support ActiveX. These
problems can be overcome by using Microsoft conditional comments to
route to an ordinary object for most browsers and to route to an
ActiveX object for IE browsers.

See http://www.cwdjr.net/smil2/embedpage.php for a main page and
http://www.cwdjr.net/smil2/embedpagesmil.php for the page that is
embedded in it. The page uses css code to remove scroll bars from the
embeddpage both for IE and other browsers, but it can be deleted as
marked in the source code of the main page if you need scroll bars in
the embedded page.

The embedded page is very special. I want to show a smil media page
which is a type of xml page. Most browsers have little, if any,
support for xml built in. In most cases you have to use some sort of
xml viewer program. Some have the Real Player installed, and it has
very good support of smil built into it. If you route to an
embedded(using proper objects) Real player with a .ram file that
points to the xml smil page, the player if installed will come up, and
the smil show will start. If no Real player is found, the large space
for it is not used, and only the text at the bottom of the embedded
page appears. The size of the embedded area is set so it just shows
the player if it comes up, but if not, the text at the bottom of the
page comes up with other choices ending with a text choice for those
who hate media and disable most of it. Setting the embedded page so
that the embed comes up exactly where you want it requires a bit of
effort, but it usually can be done. I use xhtml 1.1 properly served as
application/xhtml+xml to prove that this type of embed of one web page
in another can validate as xhtml and css to the top level. If you do
not have a server set up to properly serve true xhtml using
application/xhtml+xml, then it is best to use html 4.01 strict. The
page has been checked on Vista 64-bit and XP 32-bit OSs using IE7 and
the most recent versions of Firefox, Safari for Windows, and Opera.
Opera does not show the Real player at first, so you get the download
option and other choices. If you then download, you can play on the
Real Player on your computer, if installed.

mcnewsxp

On Mar 30, 11:57*pm, cwdjrxyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> page comes up with other choices ending with a text choice for those
> who hate media and disable most of it. Setting the embedded page so
> that the embed comes up exactly where you want it requires a bit of
> effort, but it usually can be done. I use xhtml 1.1 properly served as
> application/xhtml+xml to prove that this type of embed of one web page
> in another can validate as xhtml and css to the top level. If you do
> not have a server set up to properly serve true xhtml using
> application/xhtml+xml, then it is best to use html 4.01 strict. The
> page has been checked on Vista 64-bit and XP 32-bit OSs using IE7 and
> the most recent versions of Firefox, Safari for Windows, and Opera.
> Opera does not show the Real player at first, so you get the download
> option and other choices. If you then download, you can play on the
> Real Player on your computer, if installed.

the object things doesn't work in IE for me.