Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Splash screen

Splash screen

carmelo

Hi everybody,
I'm developing a java Swing app on which I need to have a splash
screen. The application should be launched normally and with java web
start. I'd like to have a splash screen with a progress bar indicating

I tried to set a splash screen on the jnpl file, in this way:
<icon href="logo.gif" kind="splash"/>
but it does not give me a splash screen like that I need, besides it
causes problems on application startup on some systems.

I hope you can help me.
Thank you very much in advance!

John B. Matthews

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
carmelo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> I'm developing a java Swing app on which I need to have a splash
> screen. The application should be launched normally and with java web
> start. I'd like to have a splash screen with a progress bar indicating
>
> I tried to set a splash screen on the jnpl file, in this way:
> <icon href="logo.gif" kind="splash"/>
> but it does not give me a splash screen like that I need, besides it
> causes problems on application startup on some systems.

The Sun demo java2D.Java2Demo, version 12.2.0, has a delightful loader
progress feature and animated splash screen. On my platform, it's found
in /Developer/Examples/Java/JFC/Java2D, but I'm guessing it's available
from Sun/Oracle, too.

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com

Roedy Green

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 03:12:50 -0700 (PDT), carmelo <(E-Mail Removed)>

>I tried to set a splash screen on the jnpl file, in this way:
><icon href="logo.gif" kind="splash"/>
>but it does not give me a splash screen like that I need, besides it
>causes problems on application startup on some systems.

What you need is a class loaded very early on that displays the splash
image and the progress bar.

Alternatively, use a kicker written in C to display it, that launches
the JVM and app. That way the splash can appear even earlier.

If you have a budget, you might try the Jet splashes.
See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jet.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

If you tell a computer the same fact in more than one place, unless you have an automated mechanism to ensure they stay in sync, the versions of the fact will eventually get out of sync.

Andrew Thompson

On Mar 30, 9:12*pm, carmelo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I'm developing a java Swing app on which I need to have a splash
> screen. The application should be launched normally and with java web
> start.

Are you familiar with the SplashScreen class? I'm not
sure if the demo. mentioned by John uses it.

>..I'd like to have a splash screen with a progress bar indicating
>
> I tried to set a splash screen on the jnpl file, in this way:
> <icon href="logo.gif" kind="splash"/>
> but it does not give me a splash screen like that I need,

How does the JWS splash differ from what you need?

>...besides it
> causes problems on application startup on some systems.

What problems on what systems?

--
Andrew T.
pscode.org

John B. Matthews

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Andrew Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Are you familiar with the SplashScreen class? I'm not
> sure if the demo. mentioned by John uses it.

Sadly, no:

$ find /Developer/Examples/Java/JFC/Java2D -name \*.java | \
xargs -J % grep -iH SplashScreen %

It uses a JProgressBar to mark loading a dozen groups of three or four
JPanels into a JTabbedPane. The initial pane, Intro, is a
multi-threaded, animated extravaganza of transformed composites,
dithers, gradients, shapes, text and textures. The other panes include
assorted controls and monitors. Although a bit dated, it is an wholesale
eye-candy store.

I'll try to stop gushing, now.

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com

carmelo

I solved creating a JWindow on startup, before main JFrame launch.
After that, when it's loaded, the main JFrame will close splash
screen...

-
http://carmelosaffioti.blogspot.com
-

Mozilla - Splash Screen Nigel Stapley Firefox 5 07-16-2004 08:42 PM
Mozilla splash screen Walter Donavan Firefox 6 07-05-2004 06:21 AM
Splash Screen adam Firefox 3 04-07-2004 06:56 PM
Turn Of the Splash Screen? Bongo Firefox 5 12-21-2003 10:53 PM
Can't change splash screen in Mozilla 1.5 Holodoc Firefox 3 11-25-2003 07:48 PM

Advertisments