Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft Caught Using Crap Encryption Again

Microsoft Caught Using Crap Encryption Again

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

"Microsoft made it easy for us because they used their own proprietary
crypto," Schroder said. "Xor is not a very proper way to secure data."

<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/26/open_source_wireless_sniffer/>

Murray Symon

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> "Microsoft made it easy for us because they used their own proprietary
> crypto," Schroder said. "Xor is not a very proper way to secure data."
>
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/26/open_source_wireless_sniffer/>

XOR is not the problem, XOR is at the heart of many robust crypto schemes,
it is not a weakness in itself. Reading the original news article linked
to by your Register article (which is short of facts) I see that the real
problem is that the key stream is generated directly from 5 bytes taken
from from the device's MAC. So the key is not secret.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <hosd6l$1u91$(E-Mail Removed)>, Murray Symon wrote:

> XOR is not the problem ...

I never said it was.