Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Jetty 5.1 Multiple Contexts with 1 war

Jetty 5.1 Multiple Contexts with 1 war

rpnz

Hi,
We are using jetty 5.1 and need to run multiple contexts off 1 war.
What is the best 1 to do this.
We want to be able to use a ServletContextListener to load an ini file
and connect to the appropriate database, and
do client specific initialization.

Thanks in advance

Arne Vajhj

On 29-03-2010 17:58, rpnz wrote:
> We are using jetty 5.1 and need to run multiple contexts off 1 war.
> What is the best 1 to do this.
> We want to be able to use a ServletContextListener to load an ini file
> and connect to the appropriate database, and
> do client specific initialization.

Usually it is 1 war = 1 context.

Why not copy the same war to multiple copies with different names?

Arne

rpnz

On Mar 30, 12:32*pm, Arne Vajhj <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 29-03-2010 17:58, rpnz wrote:
>
> > We are using jetty 5.1 and need to run multiple contexts off 1 war.
> > What is the best 1 to do this.
> > We want to be able to use a ServletContextListener to load an ini file
> > and connect to the appropriate database, and
> > do client specific initialization.

> Usually it is 1 war = 1 context.
>
> Why not copy the same war to multiple copies with different names?
>
> Arne

We supply library software to schools and usually each school gets an
installation of jetty and 1 war = 1 context.
The war is NOT unpacked.
But in this case we have a group of schools that are administered by 1
organisation and they want to have all their schools running on the
same web server.
My first thought was to add several entries in the jetty.xml file
pointing to the same war file but with different contexts.
<Call name="addWebApplication">
<Arg>/OneContext</Arg>
<Arg>path_to_war</Arg>
</Call>
<Call name="addWebApplication">
<Arg>/TwoContext</Arg>
<Arg>path_to_war</Arg>
</Call>

But alternatively we could copy the war and rename it.
Our biggest concern is to how each war will read a unique ini file for
that school.
In tomcat I could add a context.xml file for each context, and then
get these initial parameters in the ServletContextListener i.e
<Context path="/OneContext" docBase="path_to_war" >

<Parameter name="inifile" value="path_to_ini_file"
override="false"/>

</Context>

Raj

Lew

znôrt wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 23:08:23 +0300, rpnz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> But alternatively we could copy the war and rename it.
>> Our biggest concern is to how each war will read a unique ini file for
>> that school.

> I faced the same issue years ago (jboss 3 with tomcat) and solved it
> that way. May be not so elegant, but I found it straightforward and
> preferable to having to mess around with sepcific appserver deployment
> specs (always a somewhat obscure topic). Just duplicate/rename not just
> the war, but also the application name, unique (i.e., not shareable)
> services, data sources if need be, etc. You can easily add this step to
> your release build script which wil produce, say, 5 wars instead of one
> (plus one with shareable stuff, maybe) from one single source, and
> forget about it. Of course, you will have to adapt whatever clients to
> have them look for the appropiate context or service, but it's my guess
> that you would want to do that anyway.

Thinking outside the box, you could put an Apache Web Server (httpd) front end
on that puppy, and use its reverse-proxy capabilities to serve up different
apps under the ostensibly same context name.

I forget the details, but we did something like this at a project I was on a
few years ago. The different clients were "Developer", "Tester" and
"Customer" (or equivalent), each with its own version of the application, but
the reverse proxy gave all three a consistent way to access their individual
versions.

--
Lew

rpnz

On Apr 1, 10:54*am, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> znrt wrote:
> > On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 23:08:23 +0300, rpnz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> But alternatively we could copy the war and rename it.
> >> Our biggest concern is to how each war will read a unique ini file for
> >> that school.

> > I faced the same issue years ago (jboss 3 with tomcat) and solved it
> > that way. May be not so elegant, but I found it straightforward and
> > preferable to having to mess around with sepcific appserver deployment
> > specs (always a somewhat obscure topic). Just duplicate/rename not just
> > the war, but also the application name, unique (i.e., not shareable)
> > services, data sources if need be, etc. You can easily add this step to
> > your release build script which wil produce, say, 5 wars instead of one
> > (plus one with shareable stuff, maybe) from one single source, and
> > forget about it. Of course, you will have to adapt whatever clients to
> > have them look for the appropiate context or service, but it's my guess
> > that you would want to do that anyway.

> Thinking outside the box, you could put an Apache Web Server (httpd) front end
> on that puppy, and use its reverse-proxy capabilities to serve up different
> apps under the ostensibly same context name.
>
> I forget the details, but we did something like this at a project I was on a
> few years ago. *The different clients were "Developer", "Tester" and
> "Customer" (or equivalent), each with its own version of the application, but
> the reverse proxy gave all three a consistent way to access their individual
> versions.
>
> --
> Lew

Thought I found a solution using webdefault.xml as the
defaultsDescriptor, and then creating some context parameters.
Only problem is that images are not showing up on the web app. The
request log states a 404 when requesting the image. ie

127.0.0.1 - - [07/Apr/2010:11:16:22 +1200] "GET /ais/gfx/menubtn/
MenuBtn_advanced.png HTTP/1.1" 404 0

Any ideas ?

The War Criminal about to Start another War Ctrl/Alt/Del Computer Support 30 11-30-2010 02:45 PM
Discarding contexts of a text file starting from an offset parthaspanda22@gmail.com C Programming 5 11-06-2007 04:33 AM
Tomcat Many contexts newbie29 Java 1 04-26-2005 07:02 PM
Pointer problems with graphics contexts Tristan C++ 2 08-15-2003 10:24 AM
Accessing classes across Web App's servlet contexts Albretch Java 0 08-05-2003 04:30 PM

Advertisments