Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > TLDR

retlaw

When I boot up in XP Pro I Get "TLDR is missing" Press C,A, Del to restart.
on the boot up screen. Any ideas?

Charlie Russel - MVP

that's almost certainly NTLDR, and it means your installation is corrupted.
The best solution is to do a repair install with the original XP CD, and
then re-apply all the service packs and updates.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"retlaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I boot up in XP Pro I Get "TLDR is missing" Press C,A, Del to
> restart.
> on the boot up screen. Any ideas?

James Kosin

On 3/28/2010 1:46 PM, Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> that's almost certainly NTLDR, and it means your installation is
> corrupted. The best solution is to do a repair install with the original
> XP CD, and then re-apply all the service packs and updates.

Also, best to run a virus checker .... most viruses can attack this file
and repairing will only allow the virus to spread if not contained.

James

Carlos

Hi,
There are a couple of solutions here:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findby...rmissingxp.htm
without having to resort to a repair install.
Carlos

johnsuth@nospam.com.au

In <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>that's almost certainly NTLDR, and it means your installation is corrupted.
>The best solution is to do a repair install with the original XP CD, and
>then re-apply all the service packs and updates.

I did a repair install and was disappointed to see that obsolete and erroneous
keys were left in the Windows registry. So are you being conservative in
suggesting reapplication of service packs and updates?

Kerry Brown

First thing to check is "Is there a floppy disk in the floppy drive?". Next
make sure you have a good backup then boot to the recovery console from your
installation media and run chkdsk /p

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"retlaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I boot up in XP Pro I Get "TLDR is missing" Press C,A, Del to
> restart.
> on the boot up screen. Any ideas?

Charlie Russel - MVP

No, not conservative at all. A repair install will retain the registry, but
replace the binaries. So you need to re-apply any updates or SPs to update
the binaries. The whole reason the registry is retained is to preserve all
settings and installed applications.

To get to a clean system with a "virgin" registry, you need to do a clean
install and reinstall your applications. There again, of course, you'll
still need to apply any and all patches, updates and service packs that
might apply.

There are other issues with a Repair Install, the principle one being that
in some cases it will not remove all malware. But if you've managed to get
rid of the malware already, it can definitely help repair the damage left
behind.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c1.2c.3Kfz4g$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>that's almost certainly NTLDR, and it means your installation is
>>corrupted.
>>The best solution is to do a repair install with the original XP CD, and
>>then re-apply all the service packs and updates.

> I did a repair install and was disappointed to see that obsolete and
> erroneous
> keys were left in the Windows registry. So are you being conservative in
> suggesting reapplication of service packs and updates?

johnsuth@nospam.com.au

In <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

Thanks Charlie. I am the victim of a poorly designed application which exhorted
me to upgrade online, instead of by hard DVD media, then sent down
additional functionality for Windows, but I have no record of what it was,
whether it overwrote existing binaries or was additional, and no hard copy from
which to rebuild my system.