Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > reg frag winxp

reg frag winxp

Scott

Guys I want to make mspaint the default application for opening bmp files on
a machine basis, what reg key do i need to edit?

Thanks

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Scott wrote:

> Guys I want to make mspaint the default application for opening bmp
> files on a machine basis,

What happened when you right-clicked on the file and chose
"Open With..." and picked MSPaint from that menu?

> what reg key do i need to edit?

Best to consider editing the registry as a last resort...

--
-bts
-I feel so left out; I don't have a "registry."

Scott

Users dont have permissions to do this, I want to do it with a reg frag on
80 pc's on my network
news:hokpqu$uor$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

Scott wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> Scott wrote:
>>> Guys I want to make mspaint the default application for opening bmp
>>> files on a machine basis,

>> What happened when you right-clicked on the file and chose
>> "Open With..." and picked MSPaint from that menu?
>>
>>> what reg key do i need to edit?

>> Best to consider editing the registry as a last resort...

> Users dont have permissions to do this, I want to do it with a reg
> frag on 80 pc's on my network

New data not specified in original post. Perhaps someone else will have
a suggestion. Best of luck with your endeavour.

[Please don't top-post. Thanks.]

--
-bts

Dan C

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 11:13:00 +0000, Scott wrote:

> Guys I want to make mspaint the default application for opening bmp
> files on a machine basis, what reg key do i need to edit?

This can't be fixed without a re-format of the hard drive.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he harpooned Flipper.

chuckcar

"Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:XKlrn.588200$(E-Mail Removed)2:

> Guys I want to make mspaint the default application for opening bmp
> files on a machine basis, what reg key do i need to edit?

Uninstall all other graphic editing and viewing programs. Then install
them again specifing that they *aren't* the default application. It *is*
it by default. Editing the registry is by far the easiest way to make a
computer unbootable. One mistake and its toast. There is almost always
an easier way.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Scott

I need to do it on 80 machines

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 13:34:36 -0700, Evan Platt
> <evan@*******************************> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 20:30:00 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>"Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>>news:XKlrn.588200$(E-Mail Removed)2:

>>>Uninstall all other graphic editing and viewing programs. Then install
>>>them again specifing that they *aren't* the default application. It *is*
>>>it by default. Editing the registry is by far the easiest way to make a
>>>computer unbootable. One mistake and its toast. There is almost always
>>>an easier way.

>>Holy ****.
>>
>>Much better suggestion than to open Windows Explorer, go to Tools,
>>Folder Options, File Types, select the most common image types, and
>>Choose what image to open them with.
>>
>>Wait, I'm sorry, I'm wrong. Chucktard has to be right. He's been using
>>computers *forever* full stop.

> Oops, misread the OP, so still - Options, File Types, select BMP.
> --
> To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail
> address.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

chucktard wrote:

> "Scott" wrote:
>> Guys I want to make mspaint the default application for opening bmp
>> files on a machine basis, what reg key do i need to edit?
>>

> Uninstall all other graphic editing and viewing programs. Then install
> them again specifing that they *aren't* the default application. It
> *is* it by default. Editing the registry is by far the easiest way to
> make a computer unbootable. One mistake and its toast. There is
> almost always an easier way.

So you are suggesting Scott do all that on all 80 PCs on his network?
Are you sure you can't come up with anything *more* difficult?

--
-bts

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Evan Platt wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> So you are suggesting Scott do all that on all 80 PCs on his network?
>> Are you sure you can't come up with anything *more* difficult?

> Yes.
>
> First, turn off your computer.
> Remove every card inside, remove all memory. Then put back in ONLY the
> necessary cards - video, etc. Then put in ONE and ONLY ONE stick of
> memory. Then, reset your BIOS. Then, format your hard drive. Then,
> scan for malware on both your router, DSL modem and hard drive.

Chucktard the Magnificent? Is that you?

> Shoot, what am I missing?

Running memtest on that lonely stick of ram.
Removing everything from startup.
Replace the failing hard drive and format the *new* one.
Your lisp-sig.

--
-bts

Aardvark

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 20:30:00 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

> specifing

WTF?????

Re: To frag or not to frag Mike Easter Computer Support 4 11-28-2009 01:35 AM
How to see frag/defrag utilization of the router. AM Cisco 2 11-26-2005 03:06 AM
Re: De-frag'. Gazwad Computer Support 5 08-23-2003 08:38 AM
Re: De-frag'. Paul - xxx Computer Support 0 08-20-2003 05:09 PM
De frag Bob B Computer Support 17 07-01-2003 11:41 PM

Advertisments