Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Any examples/documentation for python-newt

Any examples/documentation for python-newt

Harishankar

I am writing a fairly featureful TUI in python and I figured newt is the
best lightweight TUI which actually offers widgets. curses is low level
and its text editing capabilities are poor while UIs like urwid and stfl
too complex for simple programs like the ones I am creating.

Could anybody point me to at least a decent example program in newt/snack
and I don't mean popcorn.py or peanuts.py. Something that at least shows
how to create a basic menu-driven program in the command line with a main
menu and implementing several sub menus. Also a bit of explanation of the
behaviour of OK and Cancel buttons in standard forms would be of help.

So anybody uses newt? Or have people stopped using text based UIs
completely?

--
-- Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://literaryforums.org)

--
-- Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://literaryforums.org)

Grant Edwards

On 2010-03-27, Harishankar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am writing a fairly featureful TUI in python and I figured newt is the
> best lightweight TUI which actually offers widgets. curses is low level
> and its text editing capabilities are poor while UIs like urwid and stfl
> too complex for simple programs like the ones I am creating.
>
> Could anybody point me to at least a decent example program in newt/snack
> and I don't mean popcorn.py or peanuts.py. Something that at least shows
> how to create a basic menu-driven program in the command line with a main
> menu and implementing several sub menus. Also a bit of explanation of the
> behaviour of OK and Cancel buttons in standard forms would be of help.
>
> So anybody uses newt? Or have people stopped using text based UIs
> completely?

I've used it for some trivial stuff, but not for anything very
sophisticated. Redhat's text-mode installer program (anaconda) was
written in Python using Newt (I believe it is why Newt was invented).
That's probably the most "full featured" example I know of.

--
Grant

Harishankar

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:44:23 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:

> On 2010-03-27, Harishankar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I am writing a fairly featureful TUI in python and I figured newt is
>> the best lightweight TUI which actually offers widgets. curses is low
>> level and its text editing capabilities are poor while UIs like urwid
>> and stfl too complex for simple programs like the ones I am creating.
>>
>> Could anybody point me to at least a decent example program in
>> newt/snack and I don't mean popcorn.py or peanuts.py. Something that at
>> least shows how to create a basic menu-driven program in the command
>> line with a main menu and implementing several sub menus. Also a bit of
>> explanation of the behaviour of OK and Cancel buttons in standard forms
>> would be of help.
>>
>> So anybody uses newt? Or have people stopped using text based UIs
>> completely?

> I've used it for some trivial stuff, but not for anything very
> sophisticated. Redhat's text-mode installer program (anaconda) was
> written in Python using Newt (I believe it is why Newt was invented).
> That's probably the most "full featured" example I know of.

Does your code use forms in an application loop? I am having a bit of
trouble with getting the form to stack up properly when I displaying
another. As far as I know the two examples uses a single instance of a
form which is discarded immediately on exit.

If you have even a small code sample I wouldn't mind reading it!

On 2010-03-27, Harishankar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I've used it for some trivial stuff, but not for anything very
>> sophisticated. Redhat's text-mode installer program (anaconda) was
>> written in Python using Newt (I believe it is why Newt was invented).
>> That's probably the most "full featured" example I know of.

> Does your code use forms in an application loop?

Not really. It uses a series of forms. I don't think I ever stack
forms.

> I am having a bit of trouble with getting the form to stack up
> properly when I displaying another. As far as I know the two examples
> uses a single instance of a form which is discarded immediately on
> exit.

That's pretty much all my program did.

> If you have even a small code sample I wouldn't mind reading it!

I'm afraid I'm not at liberty to post it.

--
Grant

Harishankar

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:56:30 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:

> On 2010-03-27, Harishankar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> I've used it for some trivial stuff, but not for anything very
>>> sophisticated. Redhat's text-mode installer program (anaconda) was
>>> written in Python using Newt (I believe it is why Newt was invented).
>>> That's probably the most "full featured" example I know of.

>> Does your code use forms in an application loop?

> Not really. It uses a series of forms. I don't think I ever stack
> forms.
>
>> I am having a bit of trouble with getting the form to stack up properly
>> when I displaying another. As far as I know the two examples uses a
>> single instance of a form which is discarded immediately on exit.

> That's pretty much all my program did.
>
>> If you have even a small code sample I wouldn't mind reading it!

> I'm afraid I'm not at liberty to post it.

Thanks anyway.

I'm taking a look at text.py in the anaconda source code tree here:
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/anaconda.git?
p=anaconda.git;a=blob_plain;f=text.py;hb=HEAD

I'm afraid it looks as though newt was primarily built to display a
series of forms in order, like an installer does, so it is inherently
limited by that interface. However, it might still be what I can use...

--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://literaryforums.org)