Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > HTML could use some Diagram Support for software enginering/the future ?

HTML could use some Diagram Support for software enginering/the future ?

Dr J R Stockton

In alt.comp.lang.borland-delphi message <holj6p$uhg$(E-Mail Removed)-
september.org>, Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:36:50, C A Upsdell
<(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>On 2010-03-27 2:06, Skybuck Flying wrote:

>> I think... I find HTML lacking for "software enginering" purposes.

Mere ignorance on his part - and on the part of respondents who have not
noticed that.

>> It would/could be great if future versions of HTML get some kind of Diagram
>> Support, for drawing all kinds of diagrams, like boxes, tables, tables in
>> tables, boxes in boxes, arrows, lines, arcs, colors, etc, maybe even pseudo
>> code diagrams
>>
>> Maybe then we "software engineers/programmers" could work more jointly
>> together via the web more easily and better !
>>
>> (Or express our idea's/algorithms/data structures better )

>A problem with this is that the diagrams you are speaking of tend to
>need to be edited, often using specialized programs, especially during
>the software design process: conventional web page editors are not up
>to the task. What you want would probably only be viable if the tools
>used to create the diagrams had options to export the diagrams to a
>form
>suitable for web pages.

Draft standard HTML 5, and current versions of Firefox, Opera, Safari,
and Chrome have the <canvas> element.

One can draw diagrams on it with JavaScript code (in a PostScript-like
manner), one can get the result as a PNG string, one can load the PNG in
an IMG, and (manually) "Save As" that to disc.

Publish the code, and others can modify the figure; publish the saved
figure, and they can just admire it.

For a demo, see <http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/$lag-pts.htm>; set
"Together" and some checkboxes, and press "Run".

Then see <http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-grphx.htm>. For actual use,
take (but do not republish) a copy of the page and its include file.
Full usage direct from Web should not be permanently supported.

However, what browsers really need is

<script type="Text/pascal"> and <script type="Text/delphi">.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 IE 7.
MiniTrue is good for viewing/searching/altering files, at a DOS / CMD prompt;

HTML could use some Diagram Support for software enginering/the future ? Skybuck Flying Windows 64bit 10 05-03-2010 04:59 PM
Diagram Software Sam Cisco 1 11-07-2008 09:34 PM
Class Diagram - Do you use it? Bobby Edward ASP .Net 5 09-18-2008 09:17 PM
Free UML tool with XMI support (activity diagram..) Fredy XML 0 07-13-2004 04:48 PM

Advertisments