Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Stuff that used to be there

Re: Stuff that used to be there

Whiskers

On 2010-03-26, Baaaaaaaa! <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Used to be, when I saved things in my various programs (WinXP) there
> was a dialog asking me where I wanted to save things.
> There was some stuff up the side, "History", "My Documents",
> "Desktop", "Favorites", "My Network Places.'
>
> Now I only get those options in Word. The rest of my software shows me
> where the stuff was but ain't no more.
>
> This explains it better'n me:
> http://omjewelry.net/Stuff/missingstuff.htm
>
> How can I get my stuff back?

What happens when you click on the various icons to the right of the 'Save
in' box?

Notice that the Word file is going to be saved as "Doc2.doc" in a folder
called "Viking_Pin_Files" whereas the Paintshop file is going to be saved
as "ls.jpg" in a folder called "CeliasCat" (? - indistinct image). One or
another of the icons in the Paintshop dialogue box should allow you to
navigate back out of the "CeliasCat" folder.

Why MS Word lists folders that (presumably) aren't inside the
"Viking_Pin_Files" file whereas Paintshop appears to list folders that are
available inside "CeliasCat", I don't know.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Whiskers

On 2010-03-27, Baaaaaaaa! <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Once upon a time, in a newsgroup called 24hoursupport.helpdesk on Fri,
> 26 Mar 2010 23:03:10 +0000 we were all amazed to see Whiskers
> <(E-Mail Removed)> write:

[...]

> Yes, its the shortcuts I wish would return.
> No doubt *some* setting was changed (by me) but I'll be ding-danged if
> I know which one. I just figgered one of y'all smart fellers could
> tell me which setting I mighta changed...

Let me guess, you still haven't put your mouse pointer over any of the
little icons on the right of the 'toolbar' at the top of the file save
dialogue in Paintshop ... let alone clicked ...

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

John Holmes

Baaaaaaaa! "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Everyone was getting along swimmingly in 24hoursupport.helpdesk on or
> about Sat, 27 Mar 2010 00:25:50 +0000 when Whiskers
> <(E-Mail Removed)> ****ed everything up by saying:
>
>>On 2010-03-27, Baaaaaaaa! <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Once upon a time, in a newsgroup called 24hoursupport.helpdesk on

Fri,
>>> 26 Mar 2010 23:03:10 +0000 we were all amazed to see Whiskers
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> write:

>>[...]
>>
>>> Yes, its the shortcuts I wish would return.
>>> No doubt *some* setting was changed (by me) but I'll be ding-danged

if
>>> I know which one. I just figgered one of y'all smart fellers could
>>> tell me which setting I mighta changed...

>>Let me guess, you still haven't put your mouse pointer over any of the
>>little icons on the right of the 'toolbar' at the top of the file save
>>dialogue in Paintshop ... let alone clicked ...

> Yes Sr. Whiskers, I am very much aware of those little icons and what
> each does.
> I also know how to find another place to put/save my files.
>
> But I'm trying to discover what happened to the very, very big icons
> tht *used* to be on the left hand side that no longer show up.
> They show up in one program: Word (actually, they show up in the whole
> Office suite) But they are supposed to show up in every program!
> I have three other PC's (up and running) and they all have the proper
> giant icons on the left. This, my main computer, hasn't the huge icons
> and I was hoping someone could tell me what I did to make them
> disappear, or at least offer up some hints as to where in my registry
> I might find the magical switch to put things back right.
> TIA

Tell us which one or two other programs you're referring to?

--
<snip>

John Holmes

Baaaaaaaa! "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Everyone was getting along swimmingly in 24hoursupport.helpdesk on or
> about Sat, 27 Mar 2010 00:25:50 +0000 when Whiskers
> <(E-Mail Removed)> ****ed everything up by saying:
>
>>On 2010-03-27, Baaaaaaaa! <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Once upon a time, in a newsgroup called 24hoursupport.helpdesk on

Fri,
>>> 26 Mar 2010 23:03:10 +0000 we were all amazed to see Whiskers
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> write:

>>[...]
>>
>>> Yes, its the shortcuts I wish would return.
>>> No doubt *some* setting was changed (by me) but I'll be ding-danged

if
>>> I know which one. I just figgered one of y'all smart fellers could
>>> tell me which setting I mighta changed...

>>Let me guess, you still haven't put your mouse pointer over any of the
>>little icons on the right of the 'toolbar' at the top of the file save
>>dialogue in Paintshop ... let alone clicked ...

> Yes Sr. Whiskers, I am very much aware of those little icons and what
> each does.
> I also know how to find another place to put/save my files.
>
> But I'm trying to discover what happened to the very, very big icons
> tht *used* to be on the left hand side that no longer show up.
> They show up in one program: Word (actually, they show up in the whole
> Office suite) But they are supposed to show up in every program!
> I have three other PC's (up and running) and they all have the proper
> giant icons on the left. This, my main computer, hasn't the huge icons
> and I was hoping someone could tell me what I did to make them
> disappear, or at least offer up some hints as to where in my registry
> I might find the magical switch to put things back right.
> TIA

Oh, can you post a link to screendump of how it looks like now, without
the icons?

--
<snip>

John Holmes

Baaaaaaaa! "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Everyone was getting along swimmingly in 24hoursupport.helpdesk on or
> about Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:03:47 +0100 when John Holmes
> <(E-Mail Removed)> ****ed everything up by saying:
>
>>Baaaaaaaa! "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>>
>>> Everyone was getting along swimmingly in 24hoursupport.helpdesk on or
>>> about Sat, 27 Mar 2010 00:25:50 +0000 when Whiskers
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> ****ed everything up by saying:

>>Fri,

>>if

the

save

>>> Yes Sr. Whiskers, I am very much aware of those little icons and what
>>> each does.
>>> I also know how to find another place to put/save my files.
>>>
>>> But I'm trying to discover what happened to the very, very big icons
>>> tht *used* to be on the left hand side that no longer show up.
>>> They show up in one program: Word (actually, they show up in the

whole
>>> Office suite) But they are supposed to show up in every program!
>>> I have three other PC's (up and running) and they all have the proper
>>> giant icons on the left. This, my main computer, hasn't the huge

icons
>>> and I was hoping someone could tell me what I did to make them
>>> disappear, or at least offer up some hints as to where in my registry
>>> I might find the magical switch to put things back right.
>>> TIA
>>>

>>Oh, can you post a link to screendump of how it looks like now, without
>>the icons?

> I did man.
> But for you I'll do it again....if I'm not stuck in the netherworld of
> your "moron" file: http://omjewelry.net/Stuff/missingstuff.htm

I have seen that. I was asking how your system looks *without* the icons.

--
<snip>

TING Bu-Dung

"Baaaaaaaa!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Everyone was getting along swimmingly in 24hoursupport.helpdesk on or
> about Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:03:47 +0100 when John Holmes
> <(E-Mail Removed)> ****ed everything up by saying:
>
>>Baaaaaaaa! "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>>
>>> Everyone was getting along swimmingly in 24hoursupport.helpdesk on or
>>> about Sat, 27 Mar 2010 00:25:50 +0000 when Whiskers
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> ****ed everything up by saying:

>>Fri,

>>if

>>> Yes Sr. Whiskers, I am very much aware of those little icons and what
>>> each does.
>>> I also know how to find another place to put/save my files.
>>>
>>> But I'm trying to discover what happened to the very, very big icons
>>> tht *used* to be on the left hand side that no longer show up.
>>> They show up in one program: Word (actually, they show up in the whole
>>> Office suite) But they are supposed to show up in every program!
>>> I have three other PC's (up and running) and they all have the proper
>>> giant icons on the left. This, my main computer, hasn't the huge icons
>>> and I was hoping someone could tell me what I did to make them
>>> disappear, or at least offer up some hints as to where in my registry
>>> I might find the magical switch to put things back right.
>>> TIA
>>>

>>Oh, can you post a link to screendump of how it looks like now, without
>>the icons?

> I did man.
> But for you I'll do it again....if I'm not stuck in the netherworld of
> your "moron" file: http://omjewelry.net/Stuff/missingstuff.htm

I don't understand why others seem to be having difficulty understanding
what you mean. The issue is quite clear. I don't have an explanation for
the phenomenon, but on my own computer I did a bit of checking around and
got all the big icons on the left for Microsoft Office, Open Office,
Audacity, Notepad, Paint, and MovieMaker, BUT did not even get an empty
space on the left with IrfanView and Adobe PhotoDeluxe:
http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/.../Clipboard.jpg

strange indeed . . .
--
聽不懂

TING Bu-Dung

"John Holmes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Baaaaaaaa! "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> Everyone was getting along swimmingly in 24hoursupport.helpdesk on or
>> about Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:03:47 +0100 when John Holmes
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> ****ed everything up by saying:
>>
>>>Baaaaaaaa! "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>>>Fri,

>>>if

> the

> save

> whole

> icons
>>>>

>>>Oh, can you post a link to screendump of how it looks like now, without
>>>the icons?

>> I did man.
>> But for you I'll do it again....if I'm not stuck in the netherworld of
>> your "moron" file: http://omjewelry.net/Stuff/missingstuff.htm
>>

> I have seen that. I was asking how your system looks *without* the icons.

And WTF do you mean how his "system" looks?

--
聽不懂

John Holmes

TING Bu-Dung "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> "John Holmes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Baaaaaaaa! "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>>
>>> Everyone was getting along swimmingly in 24hoursupport.helpdesk on
>>> or about Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:03:47 +0100 when John Holmes
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> ****ed everything up by saying:

>> the

>> save

>> whole

>> icons

>>> I did man.
>>> But for you I'll do it again....if I'm not stuck in the netherworld
>>> of your "moron" file: http://omjewelry.net/Stuff/missingstuff.htm
>>>

>> I have seen that. I was asking how your system looks *without* the
>> icons.

> And WTF do you mean how his "system" looks?

I'd like to see what happens on the OP's computer when (s)he hits "save
as"

--
<snip>

TING Bu-Dung

"John Holmes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> I'd like to see what happens on the OP's computer when (s)he hits "save
> as"

And that's exactly what the OP was showing you . . .
--

OK, have a look at this:
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-5630305.html

--