Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Any recommendations for web conferencing solutions?

Any recommendations for web conferencing solutions?

Zoomiest

I am an IT headhunter, and have been experimenting with a couple of
web conferencing applications to record candidate interviews, using
their web cam - but none work very well.
I tried oovoo.com and Skype. Both have video, and can be recorded.

Do you recommend any inexpensive, web conferencing solutions - that
actually work like they say?

chuckcar

Zoomiest <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I am an IT headhunter, and have been experimenting with a couple of
> web conferencing applications to record candidate interviews, using
> their web cam - but none work very well.
> I tried oovoo.com and Skype. Both have video, and can be recorded.
>
> Do you recommend any inexpensive, web conferencing solutions - that
> actually work like they say?

What sort of resolution are the camera you're using? What is the peak
speed of your internet connection? If you were using just standard NTSC
television, you'd be sending a minimum of 3.5 million 16 bit words per
second (in fact probably 24 bit words to match the human eye's
capabilities). That's 56 megabits (or 84 megabits for 24 bit colour) per
second constantly the time even ignoring start and stop bits. and then
there's sound. Compressing the images and sound will get you down to
1/10th that possibly, but you'd still need a constant speed of at
*least* 5Mb/s the whole time. Doing the interviews in person is the only
reasonable way I'm afraid. Even CNN can't get real time video through
the internet <g> and they spend big bucks on it.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )