Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Hilarious!! B&H shipping charges for one roll of film!!!

Hilarious!! B&H shipping charges for one roll of film!!!

RichA

I wanted to test out a Rollei clone of Kodak Technical Pan.

Shipping Cost To CANADA

Shipping Method

Shipping Cost
UPS Worldwide Expedited
2-4 Business Days Delivery

# $25.55 (CAD)26.17
UPS Worldwide Saver
1-2 Business Days Delivery

# $30.55 (CAD)31.29
FedEx Economy
2-4 Business Day Delivery

# $50.50 (CAD)51.72
FedEx Priority
1-2 Business Day Delivery

# $60.50 (CAD)61.96
International Priority Mail
7-10 Days Delivery

# $31.25 (CAD)32.01
International Express Mail
2-3 Days Delivery

# $41.25 (CAD)42.25

Rich

On Mar 25, 12:03*am, "Anon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Geezus already, that has been discussed to death previously. International
> shipping is always expensive. Buy at at Henry's.

B.S. First Class Mail would be about $6.00 from the U.S. The
Brooklyn crooks are hugely padding the shipping.

Twibil

On Mar 24, 9:34*pm, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Geezus already, that has been discussed to death previously. International
> > shipping is always expensive. Buy at at Henry's.

> B.S. *First Class Mail would be about $6.00 from the U.S. *The
> Brooklyn crooks are hugely padding the shipping.

No, idiot.

If they were crooks, they wouldn't tell you what the shipping charges
were. They'd just let them come as a nasty surprise upon delivery.
(That's illegal in most places, of course, but if you check closely
you'll find that that's what "crook" actually means: someone who
knowingly breaks the law. It *doesn't* mean "Someone who charges more
than I think they should.")

But since nobody is holding a gun to your head (pity, that), you are
free to get your film elsewhere and ship it however you like.

See? No "crooks" involved.

Pete Stavrakoglou

B&H is a Manhattan-based operation, not Brooklyn.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Mar 25, 12:03 am, "Anon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Geezus already, that has been discussed to death previously. International
> shipping is always expensive. Buy at at Henry's.

B.S. First Class Mail would be about $6.00 from the U.S. The
Brooklyn crooks are hugely padding the shipping.

John A.

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 08:16:17 -0400, "Pete Stavrakoglou"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>On Mar 25, 12:03 am, "Anon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Geezus already, that has been discussed to death previously. International
>>> shipping is always expensive. Buy at at Henry's.
>>>

>>B.S. First Class Mail would be about $6.00 from the U.S. The
>>Brooklyn crooks are hugely padding the shipping.

>B&H is a Manhattan-based operation, not Brooklyn.

Where do the proprietors reside?

tony cooper

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>B&H is a Manhattan-based operation, not Brooklyn.
>
>"Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>On Mar 25, 12:03 am, "Anon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Geezus already, that has been discussed to death previously. International
>> shipping is always expensive. Buy at at Henry's.
>>

>B.S. First Class Mail would be about $6.00 from the U.S. The
>Brooklyn crooks are hugely padding the shipping.

The company is paying rent for the space used to package and ship the
product and they are paying wages and benefits to the people in the
shipping department. Added up, these are part of the product's cost.

They can add that figure to the product price or the shipping price.
Either way, the customer is going to pay. The company adds it to the
shipping because the customer will often compare product unit prices
and not the total cost including shipping.

If the company did not "pad" the shipping figure, they would have to
add the same amount to the product price.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Michael Benveniste

"tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The company is paying rent for the space used to package and ship the
> product and they are paying wages and benefits to the people in the
> shipping department. Added up, these are part of the product's cost.
>
> They can add that figure to the product price or the shipping price.
> Either way, the customer is going to pay. The company adds it to the
> shipping because the customer will often compare product unit prices
> and not the total cost including shipping.
>
> If the company did not "pad" the shipping figure, they would have to
> add the same amount to the product price.

All of this is true. However, B&H charges only $4.95 to ship the
same item to me here in Massachusetts (USA).

But when one ships commercially to Canada, one must dance the
customs and tariffs tango. Those costs are very real, both in terms
of time and money. UPS passes their share on to B&H. B&H
passes both their share and UPS's share on to the customer:

http://canadaonline.about.com/cs/cus...shipcanada.htm

If you get your own quote for shipping a 1-pound package from
New York to, say, Toronto via UPS, you can see what you'd pay
to do the same thing. For the same classes of service, it appears
that B&H is charging less.

http://wwwapps.ups.com/calTimeCost?l...&WT.svl=SubNav
http://fedex.com/ratefinder/home

--
Mike Benveniste -- http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Clarification Required)
Its name is Public opinion. It is held in reverence. It settles

RichA

On Mar 25, 11:01*am, "Michael Benveniste" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > The company is paying rent for the space used to package and ship the
> > product and they are paying wages and benefits to the people in the
> > shipping department. *Added up, these are part of the product's cost.

> > They can add that figure to the product price or the shipping price.
> > Either way, the customer is going to pay. *The company adds it to the
> > shipping because the customer will often compare product unit prices
> > and not the total cost including shipping.

> > If the company did not "pad" the shipping figure, they would have to
> > add the same amount to the product price.

> All of this is true. *However, B&H charges only $4.95 to ship the
> same item to me here in Massachusetts (USA).
>
> But when one ships commercially to Canada, one must dance the
> customs and tariffs tango. *Those costs are very real, both in terms
> of time and money. *

Where do you get this info from? It is no more difficult mailing to
Canada, except you fill in a 2`` x 2`` label. Takes about 20 seconds.

John A.

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:26:25 -0700 (PDT), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Mar 25, 11:01*am, "Michael Benveniste" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > The company is paying rent for the space used to package and ship the
>> > product and they are paying wages and benefits to the people in the
>> > shipping department. *Added up, these are part of the product's cost.

>> > They can add that figure to the product price or the shipping price.
>> > Either way, the customer is going to pay. *The company adds it to the
>> > shipping because the customer will often compare product unit prices
>> > and not the total cost including shipping.

>> > If the company did not "pad" the shipping figure, they would have to
>> > add the same amount to the product price.

>> All of this is true. *However, B&H charges only $4.95 to ship the
>> same item to me here in Massachusetts (USA).
>>
>> But when one ships commercially to Canada, one must dance the
>> customs and tariffs tango. *Those costs are very real, both in terms
>> of time and money. *

>Where do you get this info from? It is no more difficult mailing to
>Canada, except you fill in a 2`` x 2`` label. Takes about 20 seconds.

A letter, maybe, but anything over a certain weight (couple pounds?)
requires the large form.

Of course a well-enough-equipped shop can print the prefilled forms
along with the mailing label and packing list. Particularly when
they're taking orders electronically. But that does take some money to
set up.

Bruce

wrote:
>On Mar 25, 11:01*am, "Michael Benveniste" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> But when one ships commercially to Canada, one must dance the
>> customs and tariffs tango. *Those costs are very real, both in terms
>> of time and money. *

>Where do you get this info from? It is no more difficult mailing to
>Canada, except you fill in a 2`` x 2`` label. Takes about 20 seconds.

It isn't a shipping charge. It's a hassle charge.

Hassle costs money.

Companies like B&H are box shifters - they pile 'em high and sell 'em
cheap. They want to sell and despatch items as quickly and
efficiently as possible and avoid wasting valuable time dealing with
after-sales queries.

The reason for the high shipping charges for Canada is that B&H knows,
from bitter experience, that most Canadians are moaners and whiners
and will cause B&H, on average, several times more hassle than US
customers. So the Canadians get charged more.

If there were differential item prices for Canadian buyers, B&H knows
that the moaning and whining would get out of control. It therefore
makes more sense to keep item prices the same but raise the cost of
shipping to Canada to make up for all that hassle.