Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows XP - all programs and files bring up various errors

Windows XP - all programs and files bring up various errors

alice

Every now and then my winXP machine at work will get into this state.
It will be fine one day, I leave it on over night, and in the morning
when I come in, everything I click on to try and open, files,
programs, even task manager, result in one of the following errors-

Insuffiecient System Resources exist to complete the requested service

Application failed to initialize properly (0x000012d)

(null) is not a valid Win32 application

The only thing I can seem to do is reboot, and this fixes it. It
happens less often lately and I can't find anything specific to narrow
down when it happens.
It's behind a very secure firewall, has regular anti-virus software
updates and scans, windows is updated all the time, I've scanned the
drive for errors.
What would keep causing this and how can I stop it?

richard

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:34:56 -0700 (PDT), alice wrote:

> Every now and then my winXP machine at work will get into this state.
> It will be fine one day, I leave it on over night, and in the morning
> when I come in, everything I click on to try and open, files,
> programs, even task manager, result in one of the following errors-
>
> Insuffiecient System Resources exist to complete the requested service
>
> Application failed to initialize properly (0x000012d)
>
> (null) is not a valid Win32 application
>
> The only thing I can seem to do is reboot, and this fixes it. It
> happens less often lately and I can't find anything specific to narrow
> down when it happens.
> It's behind a very secure firewall, has regular anti-virus software
> updates and scans, windows is updated all the time, I've scanned the
> drive for errors.
> What would keep causing this and how can I stop it?

clean the registry and do a system restore back to day one.

alice

On Mar 24, 12:37*pm, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:34:56 -0700 (PDT), alice wrote:
> > Every now and then my winXP machine at work will get into this state.
> > It will be fine one day, I leave it on over night, and in the morning
> > when I come in, everything I click on to try and open, files,
> > programs, even task manager, result in one of the following errors-

> > Insuffiecient System Resources exist to complete the requested service

> > Application failed to initialize properly (0x000012d)

> > (null) is not a valid Win32 application

> > The only thing I can seem to do is reboot, and this fixes it. It
> > happens less often lately and I can't find anything specific to narrow
> > down when it happens.
> > It's behind a very secure firewall, has regular anti-virus software
> > updates and scans, windows is updated all the time, I've scanned the
> > drive for errors.
> > What would keep causing this and how can I stop it?

> clean the registry and do a system restore back to day one.- Hide quoted text -

'Clean' the registry? How? It's been happening for more than 1 day so
a restore would have to go back much farther. On a side note, whenever
I have needed to try a restore point, on any computer, even when I set
restore points manually, 99% of the attempt to pick a restore date
fails, windows reports that it cannot restore to that date. It gives
no reason why or recommend a date, it just simply fails.

Bert Hyman

In
news:(E-Mail Removed)
alice <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On a side note, whenever I have needed to try a restore point, on any
> computer, even when I set restore points manually, 99% of the attempt
> to pick a restore date fails, windows reports that it cannot restore
> to that date. It gives no reason why or recommend a date, it just
> simply fails.

I've never had much luck getting restore to work when booted normally,
but running restore from safe mode is almost always OK.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

chuckcar

alice <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Every now and then my winXP machine at work will get into this state.
> It will be fine one day, I leave it on over night, and in the morning
> when I come in, everything I click on to try and open, files,
> programs, even task manager, result in one of the following errors-
>
> Insuffiecient System Resources exist to complete the requested service
>
> Application failed to initialize properly (0x000012d)
>
> (null) is not a valid Win32 application
>
> The only thing I can seem to do is reboot, and this fixes it. It
> happens less often lately and I can't find anything specific to narrow
> down when it happens.
> It's behind a very secure firewall, has regular anti-virus software
> updates and scans, windows is updated all the time, I've scanned the
> drive for errors.
> What would keep causing this and how can I stop it?

You not shutting down the computer. There's a longer explanation, but I
won't bore you with it unless you specifically ask for it.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

richard

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:31:27 -0700 (PDT), alice wrote:

> On Mar 24, 12:37*pm, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:34:56 -0700 (PDT), alice wrote:
>>> Every now and then my winXP machine at work will get into this state.
>>> It will be fine one day, I leave it on over night, and in the morning
>>> when I come in, everything I click on to try and open, files,
>>> programs, even task manager, result in one of the following errors-

>>> Insuffiecient System Resources exist to complete the requested service

>>> Application failed to initialize properly (0x000012d)

>>> (null) is not a valid Win32 application

>>> The only thing I can seem to do is reboot, and this fixes it. It
>>> happens less often lately and I can't find anything specific to narrow
>>> down when it happens.
>>> It's behind a very secure firewall, has regular anti-virus software
>>> updates and scans, windows is updated all the time, I've scanned the
>>> drive for errors.
>>> What would keep causing this and how can I stop it?

>> clean the registry and do a system restore back to day one.- Hide quoted text -

> 'Clean' the registry? How? It's been happening for more than 1 day so
> a restore would have to go back much farther. On a side note, whenever
> I have needed to try a restore point, on any computer, even when I set
> restore points manually, 99% of the attempt to pick a restore date
> fails, windows reports that it cannot restore to that date. It gives
> no reason why or recommend a date, it just simply fails.

Ok then it is seriously time to call in the real tech people and let them
straighten it out. It ain't your machine so let the boss flip the bill if
he wants it working. Or have him get you a newer one that works.

Absolute solution: Attach 1 stick of dynamite to case with duct tape. Apply
a 40 pound sledge hammer to the dynamite. Or, take machine to roof and drop
it onto the ground with dynamite attached.

alice

On Mar 24, 1:50*pm, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:31:27 -0700 (PDT), alice wrote:

> >> clean the registry and do a system restore back to day one.- Hide quoted text -

> > 'Clean' the registry? How? It's been happening for more than 1 day so
> > a restore would have to go back much farther. On a side note, whenever
> > I have needed to try a restore point, on any computer, even when I set
> > restore points manually, 99% of the attempt to pick a restore date
> > fails, windows reports that it cannot restore to that date. It gives
> > no reason why or recommend a date, it just simply fails.

> Ok then it is seriously time to call in the real tech people and let them
> straighten it out. It ain't your machine so let the boss flip the bill if
> he wants it working. Or have him get you a newer one that works.
>
> Absolute solution: Attach 1 stick of dynamite to case with duct tape. Apply
> a 40 pound sledge hammer to the dynamite. Or, take machine to roof and drop
> it onto the ground with dynamite attached.- Hide quoted text -

It's not that serious of a problem, thought I would try to research it
myself. I've seen all these errors before, but never seen a PC get
into a state where nothing will open or function because of these. I
can't even look at task manager to see what might be going on. I can
just reboot, but I am interested in knowing what exactly is going
wrong.

alice

On Mar 24, 1:50*pm, chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> alice <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote innews:(E-Mail Removed):
>

> > Every now and then my winXP machine at work will get into this state.
> > It will be fine one day, I leave it on over night, and in the morning
> > when I come in, everything I click on to try and open, files,
> > programs, even task manager, result in one of the following errors-

> > Insuffiecient System Resources exist to complete the requested service

> > Application failed to initialize properly (0x000012d)

> > (null) is not a valid Win32 application

> > The only thing I can seem to do is reboot, and this fixes it. It
> > happens less often lately and I can't find anything specific to narrow
> > down when it happens.
> > It's behind a very secure firewall, has regular anti-virus software
> > updates and scans, windows is updated all the time, I've scanned the
> > drive for errors.
> > What would keep causing this and how can I stop it?

> You not shutting down the computer. There's a longer explanation, but I
> won't bore you with it unless you specifically ask for it.
>
> --
> (setq (chuck nil) *car(chuck) )- Hide quoted text -

Yes, please give me the details.

Peter Foldes

Classic Memory Module fault from overheating

--
Peter

"alice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Every now and then my winXP machine at work will get into this state.
> It will be fine one day, I leave it on over night, and in the morning
> when I come in, everything I click on to try and open, files,
> programs, even task manager, result in one of the following errors-
>
> Insuffiecient System Resources exist to complete the requested service
>
> Application failed to initialize properly (0x000012d)
>
> (null) is not a valid Win32 application
>
> The only thing I can seem to do is reboot, and this fixes it. It
> happens less often lately and I can't find anything specific to narrow
> down when it happens.
> It's behind a very secure firewall, has regular anti-virus software
> updates and scans, windows is updated all the time, I've scanned the
> drive for errors.
> What would keep causing this and how can I stop it?

Peter Foldes

Alice. Please do not touch the Registry with any Registry Tool. You are playing
Russian Roulette with your computer when doing that. If you are not familiar with
the Registry and you do not know what the tool wants to remove then do not touch it.
All Registry Cleaning tools are snake oil remedies.
Even if the program makes back up it is a fool hardy move. If the computer will not
boot then how do you get to the backups.Cleaning the registry does not make your
computer faster or save you space. LEAVE IT ALONE