Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows XP - all programs and files bring up various errors

Reply
Thread Tools

Windows XP - all programs and files bring up various errors

 
 
Peter Foldes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-24-2010
I really want to hear your explanation Chuck. Let her rip.I have the time

--
Peter

Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

"chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:Xns9D45A9F36BEB8chuck@127.0.0.1...
> alice <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Every now and then my winXP machine at work will get into this state.
>> It will be fine one day, I leave it on over night, and in the morning
>> when I come in, everything I click on to try and open, files,
>> programs, even task manager, result in one of the following errors-
>>
>> Insuffiecient System Resources exist to complete the requested service
>>
>> Application failed to initialize properly (0x000012d)
>>
>> (null) is not a valid Win32 application
>>
>> The only thing I can seem to do is reboot, and this fixes it. It
>> happens less often lately and I can't find anything specific to narrow
>> down when it happens.
>> It's behind a very secure firewall, has regular anti-virus software
>> updates and scans, windows is updated all the time, I've scanned the
>> drive for errors.
>> What would keep causing this and how can I stop it?

>
> You not shutting down the computer. There's a longer explanation, but I
> won't bore you with it unless you specifically ask for it.
>
> --
> (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Holmes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-24-2010
Bill Baker "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>
> And by the way, if you haven't figured it out yet, don't take any advice
> from either richard or chuckcar. Neither one of them know what they're
> talking about but they think they do


You forgot to mention Evan Platt.

--
<snip>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
hwf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-24-2010
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
alice wrote:
> Every now and then my winXP machine at work will get into this state.
> It will be fine one day, I leave it on over night, and in the morning
> when I come in, everything I click on to try and open, files,
> programs, even task manager, result in one of the following errors-
>
> Insuffiecient System Resources exist to complete the requested service
>
> Application failed to initialize properly (0x000012d)
>
> (null) is not a valid Win32 application
>
> The only thing I can seem to do is reboot, and this fixes it. It
> happens less often lately and I can't find anything specific to narrow
> down when it happens.
> It's behind a very secure firewall, has regular anti-virus software
> updates and scans, windows is updated all the time, I've scanned the
> drive for errors.
> What would keep causing this and how can I stop it?


Start digging:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308041

^_^

--
http://www.care2.com/click-to-donate/wolves/
Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
http://www.ramusa.org/
Cash for *who*?
http://www.bartcop.com/list-the-facts.htm
http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

 
Reply With Quote
 
chuckcar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-24-2010
hwf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:hoe0g5$a77$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> In message
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> alice wrote:
>> Every now and then my winXP machine at work will get into this state.
>> It will be fine one day, I leave it on over night, and in the morning
>> when I come in, everything I click on to try and open, files,
>> programs, even task manager, result in one of the following errors-
>>
>> Insuffiecient System Resources exist to complete the requested
>> service
>>
>> Application failed to initialize properly (0x000012d)
>>
>> (null) is not a valid Win32 application
>>
>> The only thing I can seem to do is reboot, and this fixes it. It
>> happens less often lately and I can't find anything specific to
>> narrow down when it happens.
>> It's behind a very secure firewall, has regular anti-virus software
>> updates and scans, windows is updated all the time, I've scanned the
>> drive for errors.
>> What would keep causing this and how can I stop it?

>
> Start digging:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308041
>

An honest answer that took some thought. Nice to see.

However if you don't mind, a technical critique as to why it's
the wrong way to go.

Way too general and points in the wrong direction in terms of startup.
Microsoft has always insisted that startup is a feature and not a
deficit in their OS's. Something the facts simply don't support. More of
that politics is blatent here.

Technet *is* useful if you get an error with a *clean* OS, along with
all Microsoft software being just as pristine. Technet assumes you have
already made *absolutely* sure that is the case in all their articles.
Mostly it's bug fixes for problems with their software. This also means
no startup running and you have an error that happens *only* with
Microsoft software. That includes all other software of theirs as well.

Microsoft should make this clear, but then there's that startup party
fixing elections again <g>.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
 
Reply With Quote
 
chuckcar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-24-2010
alice <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Mar 24, 1:50*pm, chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> alice <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> innews:acd780ab-a9c1-4a1f-8529-c4c6c9

> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed):
>>> > Every now and then my winXP machine at work will get into this
>> > state. It will be fine one day, I leave it on over night, and in
>> > the morning when I come in, everything I click on to try and open,
>> > files, programs, even task manager, result in one of the following
>> > errors-

>>
>> > Insuffiecient System Resources exist to complete the requested
>> > service

>>
>> > Application failed to initialize properly (0x000012d)

>>
>> > (null) is not a valid Win32 application

>>
>> > The only thing I can seem to do is reboot, and this fixes it. It
>> > happens less often lately and I can't find anything specific to
>> > narrow down when it happens.
>> > It's behind a very secure firewall, has regular anti-virus software
>> > updates and scans, windows is updated all the time, I've scanned
>> > the drive for errors.
>> > What would keep causing this and how can I stop it?

>>
>> You not shutting down the computer. There's a longer explanation, but
>> I won't bore you with it unless you specifically ask for it.
>>

>
> Yes, please give me the details.
>

Well computer software is largely written in C++ and some other
languages that don't have checks for dynamic memory allocation (memory
use for variables that can vary depending on circumstances). So as a
result, the deallocation or freeing of that memory when it's no longer
needed can be imperfect. This results in less and less total memory
available, eventually leading to your problem. There are two basic
solutions to this problem. They partially depend on finding the
offending program or simply not having it run for an extended perdiod of
time. Hence shutting down nightly. The most reliable way of narrowing
down this relies on you shutting down *all* background (startup)
programs and seeing if the problem is then fixed. If it isn't, It may be
time for a full malware/trojan/virus scan of your computer with just
updated files. The alternative method I already mentioned: having the
computer turned off when you're not using it. Like a light bulb.
Computers start up *extremely* fast these days, so worrying about the
delay for that is really only limited to waiting for all those startup
programs to finish loading, not the OS.

start->run "msconfig"<enter> (without " marks naturally)
disable startup. Apply and yes to restart. Depending on your SP version,
XP *may* ask to restore those startup lines. That can be simply done by
undoing what you just did in msconfig and if you accept to do it here,
the next time the computer starts, all those programs will be running.
Thereby undoing the whole procedure. A pretty stupid feature in XP IMHO.


--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
 
Reply With Quote
 
Aratzio
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-24-2010
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:37:59 -0700, in the land of
24hoursupport.helpdesk, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> got double secret
probation for writing:

>On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:34:56 -0700 (PDT), alice wrote:
>
>> Every now and then my winXP machine at work will get into this state.
>> It will be fine one day, I leave it on over night, and in the morning
>> when I come in, everything I click on to try and open, files,
>> programs, even task manager, result in one of the following errors-
>>
>> Insuffiecient System Resources exist to complete the requested service
>>
>> Application failed to initialize properly (0x000012d)
>>
>> (null) is not a valid Win32 application
>>
>> The only thing I can seem to do is reboot, and this fixes it. It
>> happens less often lately and I can't find anything specific to narrow
>> down when it happens.
>> It's behind a very secure firewall, has regular anti-virus software
>> updates and scans, windows is updated all the time, I've scanned the
>> drive for errors.
>> What would keep causing this and how can I stop it?

>
>clean the registry and do a system restore back to day one.


BWAHAAAAAHAAAAAAA
**** bullis, classic ****. Maybe she should just format her drive.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Aratzio
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-24-2010
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:31:27 -0700 (PDT), in the land of
24hoursupport.helpdesk, alice <(E-Mail Removed)> got double
secret probation for writing:

>On Mar 24, 12:37*pm, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:34:56 -0700 (PDT), alice wrote:
>> > Every now and then my winXP machine at work will get into this state.
>> > It will be fine one day, I leave it on over night, and in the morning
>> > when I come in, everything I click on to try and open, files,
>> > programs, even task manager, result in one of the following errors-

>>
>> > Insuffiecient System Resources exist to complete the requested service

>>
>> > Application failed to initialize properly (0x000012d)

>>
>> > (null) is not a valid Win32 application

>>
>> > The only thing I can seem to do is reboot, and this fixes it. It
>> > happens less often lately and I can't find anything specific to narrow
>> > down when it happens.
>> > It's behind a very secure firewall, has regular anti-virus software
>> > updates and scans, windows is updated all the time, I've scanned the
>> > drive for errors.
>> > What would keep causing this and how can I stop it?

>>
>> clean the registry and do a system restore back to day one.- Hide quoted text -
>>
>> - Show quoted text -

>
>'Clean' the registry? How? It's been happening for more than 1 day so
>a restore would have to go back much farther. On a side note, whenever
>I have needed to try a restore point, on any computer, even when I set
>restore points manually, 99% of the attempt to pick a restore date
>fails, windows reports that it cannot restore to that date. It gives
>no reason why or recommend a date, it just simply fails.


"Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. A message
that describes the reason for this was previously logged by the policy
engine."

Got a message you didn't read?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Aratzio
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-24-2010
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 20:50:10 +0000 (UTC), in the land of
24hoursupport.helpdesk, chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> got double secret
probation for writing:

>alice <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Every now and then my winXP machine at work will get into this state.
>> It will be fine one day, I leave it on over night, and in the morning
>> when I come in, everything I click on to try and open, files,
>> programs, even task manager, result in one of the following errors-
>>
>> Insuffiecient System Resources exist to complete the requested service
>>
>> Application failed to initialize properly (0x000012d)
>>
>> (null) is not a valid Win32 application
>>
>> The only thing I can seem to do is reboot, and this fixes it. It
>> happens less often lately and I can't find anything specific to narrow
>> down when it happens.
>> It's behind a very secure firewall, has regular anti-virus software
>> updates and scans, windows is updated all the time, I've scanned the
>> drive for errors.
>> What would keep causing this and how can I stop it?

>
>You not shutting down the computer. There's a longer explanation, but I
>won't bore you with it unless you specifically ask for it.


And *moran* #2 lowers the global IQ.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Aratzio
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-24-2010
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:50:52 -0700, in the land of
24hoursupport.helpdesk, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> got double secret
probation for writing:

>On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:31:27 -0700 (PDT), alice wrote:
>
>> On Mar 24, 12:37*pm, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:34:56 -0700 (PDT), alice wrote:
>>>> Every now and then my winXP machine at work will get into this state.
>>>> It will be fine one day, I leave it on over night, and in the morning
>>>> when I come in, everything I click on to try and open, files,
>>>> programs, even task manager, result in one of the following errors-
>>>
>>>> Insuffiecient System Resources exist to complete the requested service
>>>
>>>> Application failed to initialize properly (0x000012d)
>>>
>>>> (null) is not a valid Win32 application
>>>
>>>> The only thing I can seem to do is reboot, and this fixes it. It
>>>> happens less often lately and I can't find anything specific to narrow
>>>> down when it happens.
>>>> It's behind a very secure firewall, has regular anti-virus software
>>>> updates and scans, windows is updated all the time, I've scanned the
>>>> drive for errors.
>>>> What would keep causing this and how can I stop it?
>>>
>>> clean the registry and do a system restore back to day one.- Hide quoted text -
>>>
>>> - Show quoted text -

>>
>> 'Clean' the registry? How? It's been happening for more than 1 day so
>> a restore would have to go back much farther. On a side note, whenever
>> I have needed to try a restore point, on any computer, even when I set
>> restore points manually, 99% of the attempt to pick a restore date
>> fails, windows reports that it cannot restore to that date. It gives
>> no reason why or recommend a date, it just simply fails.

>
>
>Ok then it is seriously time to call in the real tech people and let them
>straighten it out. It ain't your machine so let the boss flip the bill if
>he wants it working. Or have him get you a newer one that works.
>
>Absolute solution: Attach 1 stick of dynamite to case with duct tape. Apply
>a 40 pound sledge hammer to the dynamite. Or, take machine to roof and drop
>it onto the ground with dynamite attached.


One could say that is the solution to you, Stupid.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Aratzio
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-24-2010
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 14:09:47 -0700 (PDT), in the land of
24hoursupport.helpdesk, alice <(E-Mail Removed)> got double
secret probation for writing:

>On Mar 24, 1:50*pm, chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> alice <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote innews:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> > Every now and then my winXP machine at work will get into this state.
>> > It will be fine one day, I leave it on over night, and in the morning
>> > when I come in, everything I click on to try and open, files,
>> > programs, even task manager, result in one of the following errors-

>>
>> > Insuffiecient System Resources exist to complete the requested service

>>
>> > Application failed to initialize properly (0x000012d)

>>
>> > (null) is not a valid Win32 application

>>
>> > The only thing I can seem to do is reboot, and this fixes it. It
>> > happens less often lately and I can't find anything specific to narrow
>> > down when it happens.
>> > It's behind a very secure firewall, has regular anti-virus software
>> > updates and scans, windows is updated all the time, I've scanned the
>> > drive for errors.
>> > What would keep causing this and how can I stop it?

>>
>> You not shutting down the computer. There's a longer explanation, but I
>> won't bore you with it unless you specifically ask for it.
>>
>> --
>> (setq (chuck nil) *car(chuck) )- Hide quoted text -
>>
>> - Show quoted text -

>
>Yes, please give me the details.


Bad idea.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will the CEIP thing in various microsoft programs slow me down? zvnteq7 Computer Support 1 12-27-2008 09:40 AM
XP 'All Programs' does not show all programs & I can be adjust it CocoLuke Computer Support 3 05-04-2008 08:20 AM
Convert all Videos/Audio files to various other formats online rishil Digital Photography 1 10-21-2006 10:12 PM
Various path/path/files.asp all #include this 1 file \A_Michigan_User\ ASP General 1 07-10-2005 01:55 PM
Re: How to see all programs after Start -> All Programs Ben Leal Computer Support 1 08-06-2003 01:58 AM



Advertisments