Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Wikipedia down?

Wikipedia down?

Peter

It seems Wikipedia is off the air.
http://en.wikipedia.org
Maybe it is just a coincidence that Wales recently supported Google over
China.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...China_decision
"A co-founder of popular online encyclopedia Wikipedia praised Google for
its decision to stop censoring Internet searches in China and called on
other major U.S. companies, including Microsoft and Facebook, to follow."

Peter

Peter wrote:
> It seems Wikipedia is off the air.
> http://en.wikipedia.org
> Maybe it is just a coincidence that Wales recently supported Google over
> China.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...China_decision
> "A co-founder of popular online encyclopedia Wikipedia praised Google for
> its decision to stop censoring Internet searches in China and called on
> other major U.S. companies, including Microsoft and Facebook, to follow."

hmmm, maybe not so sinister ...
http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2010/0...ilure-and-dns/
"Due to an overheating problem in our European data center many of our
servers turned off to protect themselves. As this impacted all Wikipedia and
other projects access from European users, we were forced to move all user
traffic to our Florida cluster, for which we have a standard quick failover
procedure in place, that changes our DNS entries.

However, shortly after we did this failover switch, it turned out that this
failover mechanism was now broken, causing the DNS resolution of Wikimedia
sites to stop working globally. This problem was quickly resolved, but
unfortunately it may take up to an hour before access is restored for
everyone, due to caching effects.

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused."

Your Name

news:hodlod$mg0$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused."

No inconvience ... it's a worthless website full of user-supplied nonsense,
lies and rumours. :-\

Jennifer Saunders said on a repeat of a Parkinson Interview a couple of
nights ago that she logs on to Wikipedia to find out what she's been doing
.... and apparently she had been living with someone from a music group for
six months (but didn't even know who they were), along with lots of other
rubbish.

victor

On 25/03/10 10:06, Your Name wrote:
> "Peter"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hodlod$mg0$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>
>> We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused."

> No inconvience ... it's a worthless website full of user-supplied nonsense,
> lies and rumours. :-\
>
> Jennifer Saunders said on a repeat of a Parkinson Interview a couple of
> nights ago that she logs on to Wikipedia to find out what she's been doing
> ... and apparently she had been living with someone from a music group for
> six months (but didn't even know who they were), along with lots of other
> rubbish.

Who is she ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Saunders

Seems quite well detailed with no mention of any such relationship.

Have you ever entertained the discomforting notion that comedians might
embroider the facts a little for comic effect when wittering on for the
entertainment of you slumpgut slackjawed country yokels ?

Your Name

In article <hoe520$cnn$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, victor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 25/03/10 10:06, Your Name wrote:
> > "Peter"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:hodlod$mg0$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> >>
> >> We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused."

> > No inconvience ... it's a worthless website full of user-supplied nonsense,
> > lies and rumours. :-\
> >
> > Jennifer Saunders said on a repeat of a Parkinson Interview a couple of
> > nights ago that she logs on to Wikipedia to find out what she's been doing
> > ... and apparently she had been living with someone from a music group for
> > six months (but didn't even know who they were), along with lots of other
> > rubbish.
> >

> Who is she ?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Saunders
>
> Seems quite well detailed with no mention of any such relationship.
>
> Have you ever entertained the discomforting notion that comedians might
> embroider the facts a little for comic effect when wittering on for the
> entertainment of you slumpgut slackjawed country yokels ?

Another moron to add to the killfile. :-\

Dave Doe

In article <hodr8j$odg$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hodlod$mg0$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> >
> > We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused."

> No inconvience ... it's a worthless website full of user-supplied nonsense,
> lies and rumours. :-\
>
> Jennifer Saunders said on a repeat of a Parkinson Interview a couple of
> nights ago that she logs on to Wikipedia to find out what she's been doing
> ... and apparently she had been living with someone from a music group for
> six months (but didn't even know who they were), along with lots of other
> rubbish.

Jeez what a stupid comment - added to bozo bin, bye.

--
Duncan.

victor

On 25/03/10 13:45, geoff wrote:
> victor wrote:
>> On 25/03/10 10:06, Your Name wrote:
>>> "Peter"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:hodlod$mg0$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>>> No inconvience ... it's a worthless website full of user-supplied
>>> nonsense, lies and rumours. :-\
>>>
>>> Jennifer Saunders said on a repeat of a Parkinson Interview a couple
>>> of nights ago that she logs on to Wikipedia to find out what she's
>>> been doing ... and apparently she had been living with someone from
>>> a music group for six months (but didn't even know who they were),
>>> along with lots of other rubbish.
>>>

>> Who is she ?
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Saunders
>>
>> Seems quite well detailed with no mention of any such relationship.

> Maybe it's been edited off because it's wrong ?
>
> geoff

Perhaps she needs to edit the interweb
http://goo.gl/BGKN