Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft Losing in the Web Browser Game

Microsoft Losing in the Web Browser Game

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Looks like every Web browser developer has a tradition of bringing out a
steady stream of incremental feature updates. Everyone, that is, except
Microsoft.

That company still thinks of each version of its browser as a “platform”
that developers have to specifically “support”. Whereas the other vendors
have grasped the fact that, if you stick carefully to standards, then Web
sites aren’t suddenly going to break when users upgrade from version 3.0 to
version 3.5 of Firefox or whatever.

<http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/03/can-microsoft-really-build-a-better-browser.ars>

Gordon

On 2010-03-24, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
> Looks like every Web browser developer has a tradition of bringing out a
> steady stream of incremental feature updates. Everyone, that is, except
> Microsoft.
>
> That company still thinks of each version of its browser as a “platform”
> that developers have to specifically “support”. Whereas the other vendors
> have grasped the fact that, if you stick carefully to standards, then Web
> sites aren’t suddenly going to break when users upgrade from version 3.0 to
> version 3.5 of Firefox or whatever.
>
><http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/03/can-microsoft-really-build-a-better-browser.ars>

There is also the question of that word so often used by the spin folks
awhile back, flexibility. The cell phone is no longer a cell, it is dividing
very fast and is becoming smart. The software to put on these smart and
smarter phones, and other appliciances which will become smart, is the big
interesting point.

So Robert Shingledecker keeps annoucing on distrowatch his Tiny Core system
at 10MB in size. Has to make one wonder what Ms Windows Tiny Core is in
size.

OSS is very flexible, it may not win the desktop war but it is really ready
to fight the: I have a xyz and it does this and that. It is mobile.

I read this week that some chap at Google reckoned the desktop will be dead
in 3 years.