Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > media player problem

media player problem

Susan

I am trying to play a disk in Media Player 11, it used to work but now it
tells me Windows cannot play the DVD and to try changing the resolution and
colour. I did that although never had to in the past, it didn't work as same
message. would someone be able to help me.
thank you,
Susan

Susan

Hi, thank you for responding. The disk is a dvd , I tried a couple of other
DVD's music ones and got the same message which is;
windows Media Player cannot play DVD video, you might need to adjust your
Windows settings. Open disk display settings and try lowering your screen
resolution and colour. I also wanted to copy that movie for myself, it
belongs to a friend. But none of mine work either and Nero didn't work to
copy it.
Susan.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 04:20:10 GMT, "Susan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I am trying to play a disk

> A disk? What kind?
>
>>in Media Player 11, it used to work but now it tells me Windows cannot
>>play the DVD and to try changing the resolution and
>>colour.

> So the message was "Try changing the resolution and colour"?
>
> What was the REAL message?
>
>>I did that although never had to in the past, it didn't work as same
>>message.

> Huh?
> --
> To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail
> address.

rf

"Susan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WXXpn.14447$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I also wanted to copy

Do you mean steal?

> that movie for myself, it belongs to a friend.

Susan

No, I don't mean steal, it's a copy anyway that doesn't belong to me.
I was able to play a music CD in media player, seems to have trouble with
DVD's.
Susan.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 04:20:10 GMT, "Susan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I am trying to play a disk

> A disk? What kind?
>
>>in Media Player 11, it used to work but now it tells me Windows cannot
>>play the DVD and to try changing the resolution and
>>colour.

> So the message was "Try changing the resolution and colour"?
>
> What was the REAL message?
>
>>I did that although never had to in the past, it didn't work as same
>>message.

> Huh?
> --
> To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail
> address.

richard

www.winamp.com

rf

"Susan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0RYpn.14459$(E-Mail Removed)...
> No, I don't mean steal, it's a copy anyway that doesn't belong to me.

Ah, so, if somebody makes a copy of a DVD and lends that copy to you then
you are entirely within your rights to copy it again? Even if the original
DVD was copyrighted? When the music starts does it say up on the screen
"Dont priate this DVD" or something? They usually do.

Please don't top post.

chuckcar

"Susan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:_jXpn.14440$(E-Mail Removed):

> I am trying to play a disk in Media Player 11, it used to work but now
> it tells me Windows cannot play the DVD and to try changing the
> resolution and colour. I did that although never had to in the past,
> it didn't work as same message. would someone be able to help me.
> thank you,
> Susan

First we'd *have* to know the *exact* message you got. However, it
sounds like you're having video card/monitor driver problems. Try
changing the resolution of your screen from Display in control panel
(the slider under the tab marked settings. If it asks to restart
windows, that *is* the problem almost certainly.

Have you tried playing a store bought DVD to make sure it isn't the disk
itself?

If you want to play a DVD *don't* open the disk with anything, just put the
disk in the tray and close the tray and wait. It should start on its own.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Jordon

chuckcar wrote:
> "Susan" wrote
>> I am trying to play a disk in Media Player 11, it used to work but now
>> it tells me Windows cannot play the DVD and to try changing the
>> resolution and colour. I did that although never had to in the past,
>> it didn't work as same message. would someone be able to help me.

> First we'd *have* to know the *exact* message you got.

*You* should *try* reading Susans second post in this thread,
*posted* *about* *6* *and* *a* *half* *hours* *before* *your*
*response*.

--
Jordon

Peter Foldes

Susan

This has been known to happen if you have Vista installed along with the MP 11. See
the MS KB below
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939052/en-us
--
Peter

"Susan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WXXpn.14447$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, thank you for responding. The disk is a dvd , I tried a couple of other DVD's
> music ones and got the same message which is;
> windows Media Player cannot play DVD video, you might need to adjust your Windows
> settings. Open disk display settings and try lowering your screen resolution and
> colour. I also wanted to copy that movie for myself, it belongs to a friend. But
> none of mine work either and Nero didn't work to copy it.
> Susan.
>
> "Evan Platt" <evan@*******************************> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 04:20:10 GMT, "Susan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I am trying to play a disk

>> A disk? What kind?
>>
>>>in Media Player 11, it used to work but now it tells me Windows cannot play the
>>>DVD and to try changing the resolution and
>>>colour.

>> So the message was "Try changing the resolution and colour"?
>>
>> What was the REAL message?
>>
>>>I did that although never had to in the past, it didn't work as same
>>>message.

>> Huh?
>> --
>> To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail address.

Peter Foldes

Also see the answers that you received in the XP newsgroup on the MS news server
where you also posted

--
Peter