Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Aldi Computer?

Aldi Computer?

Peter Clements

I want a new computer. Does this seem too good to be true?
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...10-03-22-12-00

There must be snags I haven't seen.

VanguardLH

Peter Clements wrote:

> I want a new computer. Does this seem too good to be true?
> http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...10-03-22-12-00
>
> There must be snags I haven't seen.

Same price I can get the same parts at Newegg. Of course, I have to spend 1
hour slapping the parts together. Doesn't seem like anything special for
price; however, they do include support for 3 years (I didn't bother to hunt
down their warranty policy to see if it was worth anything).

richard

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 03:40:44 +0000, Peter Clements wrote:

> I want a new computer. Does this seem too good to be true?
> http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...10-03-22-12-00
>
> There must be snags I haven't seen.

A fair price for what it is. It's the name I don't know about.
In the USA, Aldi is the name of a wholesale/bulk style grocery store chain.
But I saw the name "Akoya"? Even though the price may be attractive, get
one backed by a better known company.

Richard Colton

newsifojv9veflq.16aw5u3lspkzr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 03:40:44 +0000, Peter Clements wrote:
>
>> I want a new computer. Does this seem too good to be true?
>> http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...10-03-22-12-00
>>
>> There must be snags I haven't seen.

> A fair price for what it is. It's the name I don't know about.
> In the USA, Aldi is the name of a wholesale/bulk style grocery store
> chain.
> But I saw the name "Akoya"? Even though the price may be attractive, get
> one backed by a better known company.

Like Medion? A massive German company that makes this particular machine.

--
Unlock Your Phone's Potential
www.UselessInfo.org.uk

rf

"Peter Clements" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want a new computer. Does this seem too good to be true?
> http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...10-03-22-12-00
>
> There must be snags I haven't seen.

Snags? I just love a plate of blackly carcinogenic snags and mash, with the
odd arty farty bean and a helping of greenly pees.

http://www.thefoodpornographer.com/2...corn-and-peas/

chuckcar

Peter Clements <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I want a new computer. Does this seem too good to be true?
> http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...htm?WT.mc_id=2
> 010-03-22-12-00
>
> There must be snags I haven't seen.

First thing to check: the rating on the power supply. For that price, I
seriously doubt you're looking at anything but the *very* cheapest (in
*both* meanings) of parts.

So to your first question: It always is.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

rf

"chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Peter Clements <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I want a new computer. Does this seem too good to be true?
>> http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...htm?WT.mc_id=2
>> 010-03-22-12-00
>>
>> There must be snags I haven't seen.

> First thing to check: the rating on the power supply.

Oh come on chucktard. Do you seriously really think anybody is going to sell
a computer these days, under waranty, that does not have a power supply good
enough for the job? It's like asking the ford dealer if his shiny new car
has an engine big enough to drag the car up the hill.

Oh, yes, then again, I forgot, you would. You don't even now what an ampere
is, do you? As per your post wherein a 3.8 amp power supply *always*
delivers 3.8 amperes and so your precious resistor will *always* drop IIRC
three volts across it, no matter what the load. Now for the really hard
part: quote Ohm's law, and all of its implications.

Didn't think you could.

How would you ****ing know?

> So to your first question: It always is.

Huh? What is an "always is"?

****ing idiot.

Zu Arsschlaark!

"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YY0qn.14529$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Peter Clements" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I want a new computer. Does this seem too good to be true?
>> http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...10-03-22-12-00
>>
>> There must be snags I haven't seen.

> Snags? I just love a plate of blackly carcinogenic snags and mash, with
> the odd arty farty bean and a helping of greenly pees.
>
> http://www.thefoodpornographer.com/2...corn-and-peas/

Rattle yer dags, that dish looks like it has quad core!

Exiddor

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 03:40:44 +0000, Peter Clements wrote:

> I want a new computer. Does this seem too good to be true?
> http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...10-03-22-12-00
>
> There must be snags I haven't seen.

I've had (still have) three Medion machines from Aldi over the past six
years and they've all been solid and reliable. The oldest is up in the
attic running 24/7/365 as a server and I can't remember the last time I
looked at it. The other two machines are in daily use and are fast,
solid and reliable and I couldn't wish for anything better at the price.
My newest machine (MD8833) is so quiet I can hardly tell when it's
switched on.

I'd say go for it.

Oh, almost forgot - I also have two Medion laptops from Aldi and they
too have proved to be solid and reliable.

The only problem I've found with Aldi is that you have to pay 3p for
their carrier bags

--
Exiddor.

Aardvark

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 03:40:44 +0000, Peter Clements wrote:

> I want a new computer. Does this seem too good to be true?
> http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...ys3_13448.htm?

WT.mc_id=2010-03-22-12-00

> There must be snags I haven't seen.

A friend of mine bought that recently. Apart from the learning curve to
get to grips with Win 7 (she only knew XP heretofore), she's cock-a-hoop
with it.

Turning ****ing cartwheels, she is.