Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Network Win 7 with Vista

Network Win 7 with Vista

Rutetuti

Hi,

I can't get two pc's, one running Win 7 and one running Vista, to see each
other across a wireless network to share files and printers. I suspect it
may be either a firewall or a networking issue.
The main PC is running Vista Business with windows firewall and MS Security
Essentials and the other is a laptop running Win 7 Home Premium again with
Windows firewall and MS Security Essentials. They have unique names, fixed
IP addresses (192.168.1.9 and 192.168.1.10) and have the same workgroup
name. They can both access the Internet through the wireless router and can
ping the router (192.168.1.254) but cannot ping each other. I have tried
changing the workgroup name with no success.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
When configured on peer-to-peer Network.Win 7 has three types of Sharing
configurations.
Home Network = Works only between Win 7 computers. This type of
configuration makes it very easy to Entry Level Users to start Network
sharing.
Work Network = Basically similar to the previous methods of sharing that let
you control what, how, and to whom folders would be shared with.
Public Sharing = Public Network (like Internet cafe) to reduce security
risks.
The Work Network is the one that most of us are going (and need) to use.
Win 7 Work Network's Sharing settings are in principle similar to Vista's
configuration (some menu in locations in Win 7 might be in different place,
and look a little different, but it should not be a problem for a compute to
adopt)
So, maybe this can Help.
Firewall instructions.
Win -7
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ons-of-Windows
Win7 Work Network with a little visual help),
,http://www.onecomputerguy.com/window...s7_sharing.htm
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
When finished with the setting of the system it is advisable to Reboot all
the hardware including Router and all computers involved.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Rutetuti" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O%23apr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I can't get two pc's, one running Win 7 and one running Vista, to see each
> other across a wireless network to share files and printers. I suspect it
> may be either a firewall or a networking issue.
> The main PC is running Vista Business with windows firewall and MS
> Security
> Essentials and the other is a laptop running Win 7 Home Premium again with
> Windows firewall and MS Security Essentials. They have unique names, fixed
> IP addresses (192.168.1.9 and 192.168.1.10) and have the same workgroup
> name. They can both access the Internet through the wireless router and
> can
> ping the router (192.168.1.254) but cannot ping each other. I have tried
> changing the workgroup name with no success.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks

Rutetuti

Hi Thanks for the feedback.

As soon as I set the win 7 machine to leave the Homegroup then everything
worked!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...