Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > How Do I Create A Shortcut For A On-Demand screen saver

How Do I Create A Shortcut For A On-Demand screen saver

Steve T

Some time back in an early version of Windows, I was able to create a
shortcut to the .exe that started the screen saver. What is the name of
that .exe file and where is now located? Will this still work? Is there
another way to do this?

Thanks,

--
Steve T
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Steve T

I found the .scr file and created a shortcut and it executes just fine. The
only thing that doesn't work is to be prompted for id & password on resume.
Yes it is set up that way in Personalize and if you check the properties of
the shortcut>settings, you cannot adjust any settings. Please help to
resolve this. Thanks in advance.

Steve

"Steve T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Some time back in an early version of Windows, I was able to create a
> shortcut to the .exe that started the screen saver. What is the name of
> that .exe file and where is now located? Will this still work? Is there
> another way to do this?
>
> Thanks,
>

> --
> Steve T
> Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
> Office 2007
> ESET Security Suite

dgmacmi

Try the following.
In the Screen Saver control window select the screen saver you want to use.
Check the box to display the logon on resume. Then use your shortcut to
start the screen saver.

Don

"Steve T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I found the .scr file and created a shortcut and it executes just fine.
> The only thing that doesn't work is to be prompted for id & password on
> resume. Yes it is set up that way in Personalize and if you check the
> properties of the shortcut>settings, you cannot adjust any settings.
> Please help to resolve this. Thanks in advance.
>
> Steve
>
> "Steve T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Some time back in an early version of Windows, I was able to create a
>> shortcut to the .exe that started the screen saver. What is the name of
>> that .exe file and where is now located? Will this still work? Is there
>> another way to do this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>> --
>> Steve T
>> Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
>> Office 2007
>> ESET Security Suite

Steve T

I have completed that. What happens is the screen saver works as a preview
only. As soon as you use move the mouse or hit a key, the screen saver
disappears and all is normal. Any ideas?

"dgmacmi<>" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uRy$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try the following.
> In the Screen Saver control window select the screen saver you want to
> use. Check the box to display the logon on resume. Then use your shortcut
> to start the screen saver.
>
> Don
>
> "Steve T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I found the .scr file and created a shortcut and it executes just fine.
>> The only thing that doesn't work is to be prompted for id & password on
>> resume. Yes it is set up that way in Personalize and if you check the
>> properties of the shortcut>settings, you cannot adjust any settings.
>> Please help to resolve this. Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> "Steve T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Some time back in an early version of Windows, I was able to create a
>>> shortcut to the .exe that started the screen saver. What is the name of
>>> that .exe file and where is now located? Will this still work? Is
>>> there another way to do this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>>> --
>>> Steve T
>>> Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
>>> Office 2007
>>> ESET Security Suite

dgmacmi

Did you click on "Apply" before you closed the screen saver window?

Don

"Steve T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have completed that. What happens is the screen saver works as a
> preview only. As soon as you use move the mouse or hit a key, the screen
> saver disappears and all is normal. Any ideas?
>
> "dgmacmi<>" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uRy$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Try the following.
>> In the Screen Saver control window select the screen saver you want to
>> use. Check the box to display the logon on resume. Then use your shortcut
>> to start the screen saver.
>>
>> Don
>>
>> "Steve T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I found the .scr file and created a shortcut and it executes just fine.
>>> The only thing that doesn't work is to be prompted for id & password on
>>> resume. Yes it is set up that way in Personalize and if you check the
>>> properties of the shortcut>settings, you cannot adjust any settings.
>>> Please help to resolve this. Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>
>>> "Steve T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Zaidy036

In article <#(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

> I have completed that. What happens is the screen saver works as a preview
> only. As soon as you use move the mouse or hit a key, the screen saver
> disappears and all is normal. Any ideas?
>
> "dgmacmi<>" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uRy$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Try the following.
> > In the Screen Saver control window select the screen saver you want to
> > use. Check the box to display the logon on resume. Then use your shortcut
> > to start the screen saver.
> >
> > Don
> >
> > "Steve T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I found the .scr file and created a shortcut and it executes just fine.
> >> The only thing that doesn't work is to be prompted for id & password on
> >> resume. Yes it is set up that way in Personalize and if you check the
> >> properties of the shortcut>settings, you cannot adjust any settings.
> >> Please help to resolve this. Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> Steve
> >>
> >> "Steve T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

In all versions previous to Vista the login/password became effective ONLY
after the time out set for screen saver activation. Mose or keyboard activity
cancels the screen saver and if the if the time to activate has not been
reached no password is required.

I have not tried a screen saver icon in Win 7 or vista.