Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Which Linux distro should I choose for UNetbootin?

Which Linux distro should I choose for UNetbootin?

M.L.

I'm interested in creating a recovery utility USB boot stick for my
Vista Home Premium system. UNetbootin allows one to choose among a
slew of Linux distros to drive the recovery and I'm having some
trouble choosing which one.

I tried Knoppix and PCLinuxOS Live CDs but found that I couldn't
delete or move files on my Vista system without engaging in some root
level manipulations that I was unfamiliar with. I found Puppy Linux to
work well right out of the box. My only misgiving was that its file
manager was too dissimilar from Windows Explorer.

Is there a suitable Linux distro that has a familiar file manager, and
that would allow me to delete Vista files while in Linux? I'm not sure
if UNetbootin allows such file manager manipulations automatically.
Thanks.

UNetbootin
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

LD55ZRA

Try here first:

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

hth

"M.L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm interested in creating a recovery utility USB boot stick for my
> Vista Home Premium system. UNetbootin allows one to choose among a
> slew of Linux distros to drive the recovery and I'm having some
> trouble choosing which one.
>
> I tried Knoppix and PCLinuxOS Live CDs but found that I couldn't
> delete or move files on my Vista system without engaging in some root
> level manipulations that I was unfamiliar with. I found Puppy Linux to
> work well right out of the box. My only misgiving was that its file
> manager was too dissimilar from Windows Explorer.
>
> Is there a suitable Linux distro that has a familiar file manager, and
> that would allow me to delete Vista files while in Linux? I'm not sure
> if UNetbootin allows such file manager manipulations automatically.
> Thanks.
>
> UNetbootin
> http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

news

Try Gpart a linux Prg

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 06:39:09 -0400, Sano <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 00:26:57 -0500, M.L wrote:
>

>> I'm interested in creating a recovery utility USB boot stick for my
>> Vista Home Premium system. UNetbootin allows one to choose among a
>> slew of Linux distros to drive the recovery and I'm having some
>> trouble choosing which one.
>>
>> I tried Knoppix and PCLinuxOS Live CDs but found that I couldn't
>> delete or move files on my Vista system without engaging in some root
>> level manipulations that I was unfamiliar with. I found Puppy Linux to
>> work well right out of the box. My only misgiving was that its file
>> manager was too dissimilar from Windows Explorer.
>>
>> Is there a suitable Linux distro that has a familiar file manager, and
>> that would allow me to delete Vista files while in Linux? I'm not sure
>> if UNetbootin allows such file manager manipulations automatically.
>> Thanks.
>>
>> UNetbootin
>> http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

>Does this look like it'd work?
>
>http://ubuntu-rescue-remix.org/

-----------------
Mais z'en!,Message Creer a news.mccarragher.com
Possible de lire les news gratuitement
Possible d'ecrire avec un compte
Forum 1:http://mccarragher.com/f/
Forum 2:http://mccarragher.com/ff/
Proxy-2---:http://mccarragher.com/p2/
Proxy-1----http://mccarragher.com/p1/
Java Chat : http://mccarragher.com/c/
FTP & COMIC:ftp://mccarragher.com/

Mike Easter

M.L. wrote:
> I'm interested in creating a recovery utility USB boot stick for my
> Vista Home Premium system.

Vista is NTFS.

> I tried Knoppix and PCLinuxOS Live CDs

The newest Knoppix is 6.2.1 which default desktop is LXDE. The newest
PCLOS is 2009.2 which default desktop is KDE 3.5 The 2010 is beta.

Linux distros lend themselves to such as alternate desktops and
filemanagers.

> Is there a suitable Linux distro that has a familiar file manager, and
> that would allow me to delete Vista files while in Linux?

NTFS is recognized. I'm not understanding from your explanation what
kind of problem you encountered; but there are a lot of ways, linux and
non-linux that you can boot recovery utilities.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Sano wrote:

> Does this look like it'd work?
>
> http://ubuntu-rescue-remix.org/

That is commandline driven. If he's whining about filemanagers not
looking like win's explorer, I think he's going to want something more
graphical.

Screenshots http://ubuntu-rescue-remix.org/taxonomy/term/3

--
Mike Easter

Aardvark

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 00:26:57 -0500, M.L. wrote:

> Is there a suitable Linux distro that has a familiar file manager, and
> that would allow me to delete Vista files while in Linux?

*buntu, Knoppix, PCLinuxOS..... the list is pretty long.

Any Linux capable of being run 'live', in fact.

> Is there a suitable Linux distro that has a familiar file manager, and
> that would allow me to delete Vista files while in Linux?

All of them do. They just don't call the partitions by letters, as Windows
does, and you won't find a distro that does.

Whiskers

On 2010-03-21, M.L <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm interested in creating a recovery utility USB boot stick for my
> Vista Home Premium system. UNetbootin allows one to choose among a
> slew of Linux distros to drive the recovery and I'm having some
> trouble choosing which one.

[...]

If you aren't already confident using some variety of Unix or Linux, I
suggest that it isn't a good idea to rely on it for 'disaster recovery'!

There could be 'issues' using non-Microsoft operating systems to
manipulate Microsoft's proprietary NTFS file system. I have successfully
rebuilt Win98SE, on a FAT32 file system, using Linux after the Windows
system managed to destroy itself, but it isn't for the faint-hearted!
Windows Vista is not as straight-forward as 98SE.

Hasn't Microsoft got 'recovery tools' designed specifically for its own
operating systems?

OEMs often provide 'recovery' software that can cope with their particular
customised installations of Windows systems.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

chuckcar

M.L. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I'm interested in creating a recovery utility USB boot stick for my
> Vista Home Premium system. UNetbootin allows one to choose among a
> slew of Linux distros to drive the recovery and I'm having some
> trouble choosing which one.
>
> I tried Knoppix and PCLinuxOS Live CDs but found that I couldn't
> delete or move files on my Vista system without engaging in some root
> level manipulations that I was unfamiliar with.

Are you absolutely sure that using linux to move files in Vista is a
good idea? Why not just use Vista? If Vista doesn't allow you to
move them on a "user" account, then you're almost certainly doing
something bad that shouldn't be done at all. Vista has a completely
different security setup. Linux doesn't care what Vista user you're
dealing with. Nor does it care about system files at *all*. If you
make a mistake in linux with Vista files, you can't undo it. Linux
console simple doesn't *have* a recycle bin.

Of course not. That applies to *all* linux distributions you will find.
However you *can* use sudo to do it with a user account and then type
exit once you're done so you won't be able to make a mistake later on.

> I found Puppy Linux to
> work well right out of the box. My only misgiving was that its file
> manager was too dissimilar from Windows Explorer.

What file manager? none of the software is written by people who do the
distributions, they are part of linux and all freely available to
anyone.

Midnight Commander?
The Gnome version of the above?
Tkdesk?
KFM?

Theres countless ones

> Is there a suitable Linux distro that has a familiar file manager, and
> that would allow me to delete Vista files while in Linux? I'm not sure
> if UNetbootin allows such file manager manipulations automatically.
> Thanks.
>
> UNetbootin
> http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

You're doung it bassackwards. What you *should* be doing is finding out
*what* file managers are out there, selecting a distribution that has
the ond you want and then installing only that one when you install
linux.

Here's a starting point for you:

http://freshmeat.net/search?q=file+m...&submit=Search

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Aardvark

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 19:57:21 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

> If you make a mistake in linux with Vista files, you can't undo it.

Not even if you move them back to where they were originally?

M.L.

>> I'm interested in creating a recovery utility USB boot stick for my
>> Vista Home Premium system. UNetbootin allows one to choose among a
>> slew of Linux distros to drive the recovery and I'm having some
>> trouble choosing which one.
>>
>> I tried Knoppix and PCLinuxOS Live CDs but found that I couldn't
>> delete or move files on my Vista system without engaging in some root
>> level manipulations that I was unfamiliar with. I found Puppy Linux to
>> work well right out of the box. My only misgiving was that its file
>> manager was too dissimilar from Windows Explorer.
>>
>> Is there a suitable Linux distro that has a familiar file manager, and
>> that would allow me to delete Vista files while in Linux? I'm not sure
>> if UNetbootin allows such file manager manipulations automatically.
>> Thanks.
>>
>> UNetbootin
>> http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

>Try here first:
>
>http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

Thanks for all the replies. I already have a Vista Recovery CD and
have used it. However, when Vista is temporarily trashed it can't
begin to give me the type of recovery tools that Linux apps offer such
as partitioning and file management.

I'll try to clarify my needs to the concerns of the responders. First,
I need to make a correction. UNetbootin has nothing to do with file
management, it just creates bootable media.

I am looking for a windows-like file manager within a Live Linux
distro, and one that allows me to edit and delete files without
getting the equivalent of "access denied" that I found with Knoppix
and PCLinuxOS Live CDs. I'd be perfectly happy with a Puppy distro
that comes intact with a more Windows-like file manager than that
found in the basic distro.