Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Which Linux distro should I choose for UNetbootin?

Which Linux distro should I choose for UNetbootin?

Whiskers

On 2010-03-22, M.L <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[...]

>>Hasn't Microsoft got 'recovery tools' designed specifically for its own
>>operating systems?

> As stated above, Windows recovery solutions can be more limited than
> Linux when the Windows system is trashed.

To be fair, any complete operating system given access to a mangled
Windows system would probably be less limited than trying to use the tools
installed with the mangled system )

>>OEMs often provide 'recovery' software that can cope with their particular
>>customised installations of Windows systems.

> I've found OEM recovery solutions are mostly limited to reinstalling
> the OS. The types of issues I'd like to be prepared for can often be
> fixed without resorting to reinstallation.

Microsoft's official position seems to be that the best way to recover from
a Windows disaster is to have an 'image' of your system and data in a
known-to-be-working condition, and they thoughtfully don't include the
full set of tools for doing that in the 'Home' versions of Vista.
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/features/backup.aspx>. I
don't know if you can install all the Microsoft tools on your system, but
I believe there are 'third party' image and restoration tools designed for
Vista.

Presumably, 'Home' users are expected to manage by having good back-up
systems in place so that they can reinstate their applications and data
after re-installing their operating system (or 'restoring' to OEM delivery
condition) when the anticipated disaster occurs.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

M.L.

>> I am looking for a windows-like file manager within a Live Linux
>> distro, and one that allows me to edit and delete files without
>> getting the equivalent of "access denied" that I found with
>> Knoppix and PCLinuxOS Live CDs. I'd be perfectly happy with a
>> Puppy distro that comes intact with a more Windows-like file
>> manager than that found in the basic distro.

>Useful tool in the right hands:
>http://distrowatch.com/5966
>
>Parted Magic has what ye need methinks...

Thanks. Unfortunately I found the screenshot of its interface to be
even more primitive than that of Puppy Linux's default file manager.

M.L.

>>> NTFS is recognized. I'm not understanding from your explanation what
>>> kind of problem you encountered; but there are a lot of ways, linux and
>>> non-linux that you can boot recovery utilities.

>> The problem I encountered was an equivalent "access denied" warning
>> when I tried to move or delete a Vista file while within Knoppix and
>> PCLinuxOS live CD sessions. OTOH, I could manipulate my Vista files to
>> a fare-thee-well right out of the box with live Puppy Linux. However,
>> basic Puppy could use a more Windows-like file manager, and that's
>> what I'm looking for.

>Puppy can use all kinds of FMs. Here's a 16 mo. old post from a forum,
>but if I would go search on a different forum, I could find a lot more
>choices:
>
><q> You have the following choices for file managers: Konqueror (KDE 3's
>is pretty much an all-in-one file manager), Dolphin, Nautilus, Thunar
>and PCManFM. If you want simplicity, go with Thunar; if you want
>slightly more than that, go with PCManFM; likewise, Nautilus; likewise,
>Dolphin; likewise, KDE 3's Konqueror. </q>
>
>You actually have more choices than that. You saw KDE's konqueror in
>the pclos and maybe PCManFM in the LXDE of Knoppix.
>
>The business about what kind of FM you like is a personal taste, just
>like what kind of newsreader you like. You are using Forte Agent -
>someone else might not like that choice.
>
>If you like Puppy, I recommend going with that and getting/using a
>different FM. Do a little research on what your choices of FM are in
>Puppy, then do some more research to see some screenshots of alternate
>FMs. Puppy has a lot going for it and it is getting better all the
>time. It is also gathering more different kinds of apps and choices.

Are those Puppy file manager alternatives part of the basic Puppy
Linux distro? I'm not interested in adding other packages to the basic
Live CD.

BTW, I forgot to mention that Puppy was the only Live CD that
connected me to the Internet. Its connection wizard made it easy.

I've since become intrigued by YLMF, which is a Chinese origin Ubuntu
distro dressed in Win XP attire.

http://www.ylmf.org/en/

I read a good comment on how easily it connected to the Internet. But
I'm not sure if it will allow me to manipulate files as readily as
Puppy without doing some unfamiliar permission configurations. I might
end up using MultiBootISOs.exe to put them both on my USB boot stick.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-mu...multiboot-usb/

M.L.

>>>Try Slackware, it's really good.

>> No screenshots at http://www.slackware.com/ but the one I found at
>>
>> http://osdp.bplaced.net/en/screen_ga...e12-scr-08.jpg
>> http://moourl.com/siywr
>>> had an amazing-looking file manager that appears very windows-like.

>That isn't a file manager; it's the 'control centre' for the KDE desktop
>environment. If you have KDE installed then you'll probably have
>'Konqueror', which is both a web browser and a file manager.

I didn't notice at the time, but Konqueror was exactly what I was
looking at on that screenshot. Its screen is just to the left and
below that of the control center screen. I'm fine with Puppy if its
basic distro comes with Konqueror. Does it?

>There are more file managers for Unix/Linux than you can throw a stick at
><http://www.linux.org/apps/all/System/File_Managers-1.html?sort=name>.

I'm not interested in installing apps that aren't on the Live CD.

>My own favourite is Midnight Commander, which has a text-based twin-pane
>interface and lots of useful tools - including the text editor I'm using
>to type this. It should be available for any Unix or Linux distro even if
>it isn't installed by default.
>
>> The next question is, will it immediately let me move/delete/write my
>> Vista files, or will I have to do some type of permission
>> configurations first?

>NTFS is a Microsoft-only file system, and they don't seem too keen on
>letting other folk know all of its internal workings. So successful
>manipulation of it using a non-Microsoft environment is not
>straight-forward. What tools there are for Linux to manipulate NTFS files
>and partitions are likely to be available for most distros but not
>necessarily installed by default. See
><http://www.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php> for more information. Naturally, if
>Microsoft change any of the innards of their NTFS file system then
>everyone else will be caught on the hop ... again.

I'm only looking for file manipulations such as editing text files,
replacing corrupt Windows files, and renaming, adding or deleting
files. I don't think any of that will tax Linux or the file system.

M.L.

>>>Hasn't Microsoft got 'recovery tools' designed specifically for its own
>>>operating systems?

>> As stated above, Windows recovery solutions can be more limited than
>> Linux when the Windows system is trashed.

>To be fair, any complete operating system given access to a mangled
>Windows system would probably be less limited than trying to use the tools
>installed with the mangled system )
>
>>>OEMs often provide 'recovery' software that can cope with their particular
>>>customised installations of Windows systems.

>> I've found OEM recovery solutions are mostly limited to reinstalling
>> the OS. The types of issues I'd like to be prepared for can often be
>> fixed without resorting to reinstallation.

>Microsoft's official position seems to be that the best way to recover from
>a Windows disaster is to have an 'image' of your system and data in a
>known-to-be-working condition, and they thoughtfully don't include the
>full set of tools for doing that in the 'Home' versions of Vista.
><http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/features/backup.aspx>. I
>don't know if you can install all the Microsoft tools on your system, but
>I believe there are 'third party' image and restoration tools designed for
>Vista.
>
>Presumably, 'Home' users are expected to manage by having good back-up
>systems in place so that they can reinstate their applications and data
>after re-installing their operating system (or 'restoring' to OEM delivery
>condition) when the anticipated disaster occurs.

I already have a monthly updated system drive image available for
action on standby. My problem isn't an overall recovery plan so much
as just finding a capable and familiar Linux file manager. If
Konqueror is packaged with basic Puppy Linux, I'm all set.

chuckcar

M.L. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>> I'm interested in creating a recovery utility USB boot stick for my
>>> Vista Home Premium system. UNetbootin allows one to choose among a
>>> slew of Linux distros to drive the recovery and I'm having some
>>> trouble choosing which one.
>>>
>>> I tried Knoppix and PCLinuxOS Live CDs but found that I couldn't
>>> delete or move files on my Vista system without engaging in some
>>> root level manipulations that I was unfamiliar with.

>>Are you absolutely sure that using linux to move files in Vista is a
>>good idea? Why not just use Vista?

> I wanted to use a Linux recovery solution in the event that Vista was
> temporarily disabled and inaccessible.

Then you've already tinkered around more than you should have if that's
a problem.

>> If Vista doesn't allow you to
>>move them on a "user" account, then you're almost certainly doing
>>something bad that shouldn't be done at all. Vista has a completely
>>different security setup. Linux doesn't care what Vista user you're
>>dealing with. Nor does it care about system files at *all*. If you
>>make a mistake in linux with Vista files, you can't undo it. Linux
>>console simple doesn't *have* a recycle bin.
>>
>>Of course not. That applies to *all* linux distributions you will
>>find. However you *can* use sudo to do it with a user account and then
>>type exit once you're done so you won't be able to make a mistake
>>later on.

> I want to avoid learning and using Linux commands altogether during
> any recovery and depend mostly on graphical aids.
>
>>> I found Puppy Linux to
>>> work well right out of the box. My only misgiving was that its file
>>> manager was too dissimilar from Windows Explorer.
>>>

>>What file manager? none of the software is written by people who do
>>the distributions, they are part of linux and all freely available to
>>anyone.
>>
>>Midnight Commander?
>>The Gnome version of the above?
>>Tkdesk?
>>KFM?
>>
>>Theres countless ones
>>
>>> Is there a suitable Linux distro that has a familiar file manager,
>>> and that would allow me to delete Vista files while in Linux?
>>>

>>You're doung it bassackwards. What you *should* be doing is finding
>>out *what* file managers are out there, selecting a distribution that
>>has the ond you want and then installing only that one when you
>>install linux.
>>
>>Here's a starting point for you:
>>
>>http://freshmeat.net/search?q=file+m...&submit=Search

> I don't want to add anything to the distro I decide to use. I want to
> use it as is.

You want a program that works in a certain way, but you don't want that
program, nor can you describe it in an any more detailled manner. Good
luck.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

chuckcar

Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 19:57:21 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Linux console simple doesn't *have* a recycle bin.

> Create your own.
>
> alias rm='mv --target-directory ~/.Trash'

It doesn't matter. Bash deletes files irretreviably off the hard drive.
It would simply ignore your pretty sounding directory. You've never even
*run* linux have you?

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Aardvark

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 02:54:26 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

> detailled

WTF?????

Whiskers

On 2010-03-23, M.L <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[...]

> I already have a monthly updated system drive image available for
> action on standby. My problem isn't an overall recovery plan so much
> as just finding a capable and familiar Linux file manager. If
> Konqueror is packaged with basic Puppy Linux, I'm all set.

Well, "a capable and familiar Linux file manager" is whichever one you are
most familiar with. It seems that you aren't familiar with any of them,
so you won't find what you are looking for until some time after you've
started using whichever one you end up with. You certainly won't find a
Live-CD Linux with Windows Explorer as the default file manager!

I really do think you'll be more comfortable using a Windows-based 'rescue
disc'.
<http://uk.ask.com/web?q=windows+rescue+cd&qsrc=0&o=312&l=dir&dm=all>

Puppy Linux is intended to be a very small system, suitable for use on
low-powered hardware. That means that it uses only 'small' applications -
which rules out KDE, and thus rules out Konqueror. The default file
manager for Pupppy is "Nautilus" <http://live.gnome.org/Nautilus> which is
a well-regarded tool. You'll probably find 'browser mode' is more like
what you are used to in Windows, than the default 'spatial mode'.

"Knoppix" is the best known Linux Live-CD system, and it does include
Konquror. But most of the 'big' distros offer a Live-CD version these
days. If you want to learn about Linux, by all means start with any of
them - but don't expect to find your existing Microsoft knowledge of much
use. Learning how to use Linux-based stuff when you are trying to recover
from a Windows disaster, is a very bad idea in my opinion.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

M.L.

>> I already have a monthly updated system drive image available for
>> action on standby. My problem isn't an overall recovery plan so much
>> as just finding a capable and familiar Linux file manager. If
>> Konqueror is packaged with basic Puppy Linux, I'm all set.

>Well, "a capable and familiar Linux file manager" is whichever one you are
>most familiar with. It seems that you aren't familiar with any of them,
>so you won't find what you are looking for until some time after you've
>started using whichever one you end up with. You certainly won't find a
>Live-CD Linux with Windows Explorer as the default file manager!

"familiar" ~= Windows Explorer look alike

>I really do think you'll be more comfortable using a Windows-based 'rescue
>disc'.
><http://uk.ask.com/web?q=windows+rescue+cd&qsrc=0&o=312&l=dir&dm=all>

UBCD for Windows looks promising and I might create a separate USB
stick for it.

In any case, I'm going to create a customized multiboot 4GB USB stick
with the following mix of independently bootable applications:

Live Linux distro with a windows-like file manager
DBAN disk wiper
Dr. Web Antivirus
NTpassword
Ophcrack XP
Ophcrack Vista

I expect the Linux distro to do most of the heavy lifting of rescue
duties.

>Puppy Linux is intended to be a very small system, suitable for use on
>low-powered hardware. That means that it uses only 'small' applications -
>which rules out KDE, and thus rules out Konqueror. The default file
>manager for Pupppy is "Nautilus" <http://live.gnome.org/Nautilus> which is
>a well-regarded tool. You'll probably find 'browser mode' is more like
>what you are used to in Windows, than the default 'spatial mode'.
>
>"Knoppix" is the best known Linux Live-CD system, and it does include
>Konquror. But most of the 'big' distros offer a Live-CD version these
>days. If you want to learn about Linux, by all means start with any of
>them - but don't expect to find your existing Microsoft knowledge of much
>use. Learning how to use Linux-based stuff when you are trying to recover
>from a Windows disaster, is a very bad idea in my opinion.

I've previously mentioned why I'm unlikely to use Knoppix. However, I
found a Puppy-4.3.1 variant at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbMFaqfIT0
ftp://skami.homelinux.org/puppylinux..._puppy_ENG.iso

which is designed to mimic Win XP. It appears to do a fair job of it
and contains WINE for Windows app support, so I'm going to try that
one. Thanks for all your advice.