Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Trouble with gmail passwords

Trouble with gmail passwords

Steve Freides

Both my son and I have had issues in the last few days with gal
passwords - I had to reset mine, which stopped working for no apparent
reason. He just had the same issue.

-S-

Steve Freides

Steve Freides wrote:
> Both my son and I have had issues in the last few days with gal
> passwords - I had to reset mine, which stopped working for no apparent
> reason. He just had the same issue.
>
> -S-

Duh - "gal" about should be gmail - stupid user (me), stupid spell
checker.

-S-

LD55ZRA

Could it be that you are mistyping the password like you did just here when
mistyping Gmail to gal? Just a thought!!

"Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Steve Freides wrote:
>> Both my son and I have had issues in the last few days with gal
>> passwords - I had to reset mine, which stopped working for no apparent
>> reason. He just had the same issue.
>>
>> -S-

> Duh - "gal" about should be gmail - stupid user (me), stupid spell
> checker.
>
> -S-

Mike Easter

Steve Freides wrote:
> Both my son and I have had issues in the last few days with gal
> passwords - I had to reset mine, which stopped working for no apparent
> reason. He just had the same issue.

Gmail has a recent issues page which says nothing about a general problem.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/s...nown_issues.cs Gmail
Known Issues - We're always working to resolve problems that come up in
Gmail. If your problem is listed below, we're aware of the issue <list>

Gmail (also) has a function for people with user/pass login problems
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...n&answer=46346 What's
preventing you from accessing Gmail? - My password doesn't seem to be
working

.... and then it has instructions for avoiding problems and/or recovering
your password - depending on whether or not the username part was accepted.

Your report here is quite incomplete regarding the process of having
trouble with your user/pass. You didn't say whether the user part was
accepted according to the troubleshooting process.

I use a gmail pop and smtp and imap all the time and have had no
problems. I recently had occasion to use the webmail login for a couple
of gmail accounts and had no problems.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Mike Easter wrote:
> Steve Freides wrote:
>> Both my son and I have had issues in the last few days with gal
>> passwords

> Gmail has a recent issues page which says nothing about a general problem.

Gmail's past issue shows that on Mar 10 for about an hour, a tiny
percentage of users, 4 per 100,000 had trouble accessing.

<q>
Google Mail 3/10/10

7:39 AM
The problem with Google Mail should be resolved. We apologize for the
inconvenience and thank you for your patience and continued support.

6:54 AM
We're experiencing an issue affecting less than 0.004% of the Google
Mail user base. The affected users are unable to access Google Mail, but
we've provided a workaround below. We will provide an update by March
10, 2010 8:00:00 AM UTC-8 detailing when we expect to resolve the
problem. Please note that this resolution time is an estimate and may
change. Some users may resolve the issue by clearing cache and cookies.
</q>

Mathematically I would conclude that any problem which you had with your
user/pass was due to PEBCAK - problem exist(ed) between chair and
keyboard - likewise your son.

--
Mike Easter

Steve Freides

Evan Platt wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 19:46:19 -0400, "Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Both my son and I have had issues in the last few days with gal
>> passwords - I had to reset mine, which stopped working for no
>> apparent reason. He just had the same issue.

> Certainly you got some sort of error message?
>
> What did that error message say?

In both cases, it acted as if we input incorrect passwords, which we
didn't.

-S-

Aardvark

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 19:52:14 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

> sucession

WTF??????

chuckcar

"Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Evan Platt wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 19:46:19 -0400, "Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Both my son and I have had issues in the last few days with gal
>>> passwords - I had to reset mine, which stopped working for no
>>> apparent reason. He just had the same issue.

>> Certainly you got some sort of error message?
>>
>> What did that error message say?

> In both cases, it acted as if we input incorrect passwords, which we
> didn't.

And how many times did you try and fail in sucession. I don't mean to harp
on it, but if you can't see what you're actually typing in - as *is* the
case with passwords, it can be anything from the caps lock being on to
accidentally holding down the shift key at the wrong time or perhaps
hitting two keys at once.

Try typing (without anyone else around of course) it in notepad before you
try it for real. Both you *and* your son. Do it as *fast* as you can type,
just to try to force an error. Do that 20 times and then see how accurate
you were. Turn off the monitor *just* before you start typing and turn it on
when you're finished.

Have you done a full scan of your computer for any trojans and malware?

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Mike Easter

Steve Freides wrote:

> In both cases, it acted as if we input incorrect passwords, which we
> didn't.

Or maybe you did (input wrong). If you input a *username* wrongly, it
looks/acts like you input the wrong pass (but the alert says it might be
the user or the pass). It/Gmail clears the pass field for you and/but
leaves the (wrong) username in place. The natural tendency would be to
keep putting the correct pass under the wrong username. Maybe gmail
should clear them both.

If you input a username correctly but the pass wrongly, it still looks
like you input the wrong pass.

You have to troubleshoot the dichotomy.

What happened when you used the gmail troubleshooter for login problems,
which is designed to distinguish these?

--
Mike Easter

Desk Rabbit