Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Signal is 'Low,' or 'No Signal'

Signal is 'Low,' or 'No Signal'

MapleE.

Hi:
I placed one of PCs with XP in the back-room that is further away from
Router/Modem Combo and most of time, ..... at the far right bottom, ....
indicating,
'Signal is Low,' .... or the other time, 'No Signal.'

However, I can access any web-sites as fast as the other PC with XP which is
sitting close to Modem/Router Combo. It says, .... 'Signal is Excellent'

If any of you could explain about it, I'd truly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
It depends on your Internet Speed.
The Low Wireless signal can be hi enough for low Internet speed.
Example, a normal 802.11g Wireless at close proximity can yield 20Mb/sec.
If at the end of the house it yields only 4Mb/sec., it considered low.
However if your Internet is 3Mb/sec. standard DSL, the Low Wireless Speed is
still higher than the Internet speed.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Frankster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "MapleE." <someone|@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:erI8c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi:
>> I placed one of PCs with XP in the back-room that is further away from
>> Router/Modem Combo and most of time, ..... at the far right bottom, ....
>> indicating,
>> 'Signal is Low,' .... or the other time, 'No Signal.'
>>
>> However, I can access any web-sites as fast as the other PC with XP which
>> is sitting close to Modem/Router Combo. It says, .... 'Signal is
>> Excellent'
>>
>> If any of you could explain about it, I'd truly appreciate it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> Two things.
> -The signal strength display is often not very accurate and varies from
> one wireless program/adapter to another, even when they are the same
> distance from the Wifi.
> -The further away you are, the weaker the signal.
>
> Also, if you actually measured the speed of a download you'd then probably
> see a difference, if one signal was actually low. It's hard to see on
> simply browsing web pages.
>
> -Frank

farneville farneville is offline
Junior Member