Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Disc formatting question

Disc formatting question

VK

Have just added a new hard drive. In Windows 7 Computer Management its
called Disc 1 and that is split into 2 bits:-

System Reserved with no letter allocation xx MB NTFS, Healthy (System,
Active, Primary Partition), and
(C xx GB NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Page file, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
....and that's fine.

But also I still have the old hard drive connected which I want to keep as
slave. At the mo its called Disc 0 and split into 3 bits:-

System Reserved (E xx MB NTFS, Healthy (Active, Primary Partition), and
New Volume (F xx GB NTFS, and
xx GB Unallocated

I formatted both the E and the F and the F is all free space but the E seems
to be only 86% free?
....but in any case what I want to do is retain the Unallocated bit as is and
merge the two drives E and F into one empty drive called E.
How to? Thanks.

VK

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> VK wrote:
>> Have just added a new hard drive. In Windows 7 Computer Management its
>> called Disc 1 and that is split into 2 bits:-
>>
>> System Reserved with no letter allocation xx MB NTFS, Healthy (System,
>> Active, Primary Partition), and
>> (C xx GB NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Page file, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
>> ...and that's fine.
>>
>> But also I still have the old hard drive connected which I want to keep
>> as slave. At the mo its called Disc 0 and split into 3 bits:-
>>
>> System Reserved (E xx MB NTFS, Healthy (Active, Primary Partition), and
>> New Volume (F xx GB NTFS, and
>> xx GB Unallocated
>>
>> I formatted both the E and the F and the F is all free space but the E
>> seems to be only 86% free?
>> ...but in any case what I want to do is retain the Unallocated bit as is
>> and merge the two drives E and F into one empty drive called E.
>> How to? Thanks.
>>

> Use disk management and delete *all* partitions on that drive...
> then simply create one partition of the desired size

===============
excellent tvm..that did it

chuckcar

"VK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:ho2b6r$vll$(E-Mail Removed):

> Have just added a new hard drive. In Windows 7 Computer Management its
> called Disc 1 and that is split into 2 bits:-
>
> System Reserved with no letter allocation xx MB NTFS, Healthy (System,
> Active, Primary Partition), and
> (C xx GB NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Page file, Crash Dump, Primary
> Partition) ...and that's fine.
>
> But also I still have the old hard drive connected which I want to
> keep as slave. At the mo its called Disc 0 and split into 3 bits:-
>
> System Reserved (E xx MB NTFS, Healthy (Active, Primary Partition),
> and New Volume (F xx GB NTFS, and
> xx GB Unallocated
>
> I formatted both the E and the F and the F is all free space but the E
> seems to be only 86% free?
> ...but in any case what I want to do is retain the Unallocated bit as
> is and merge the two drives E and F into one empty drive called E.
> How to? Thanks.

Entirely possible you have bad sectors. Repartiioning *may* fix it
temporarily, but running a chkdsk on the drive and a *full* scan for
bad sectors is recommended. Certainly do both before putting anything on
it.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Aardvark

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 17:26:17 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

> Repartiioning

freemont

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 17:26:17 +0000, chuckcar writ:

> Entirely possible you have bad sectors blah blah blah

Question was answered and verified already, Tard. FOUR HOURS AGO.
--
⁂ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
⁂ Beware the 24hoursupport tards: