Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Recommendation on parental control software

Re: Recommendation on parental control software

Squiggle

On 19/03/2010 11:12 a.m., Allistar threw some characters down the intarwebs:
> Hi all,
> I have a 7 year old that is starting to use a computer and in particular
> the internet to research things for school. While he has no interest in
> looking at age inappropriate material, I would rather he didn't stumble
> across any by accident. I am thinking at this stage that setting up a
> whitelist of valid sites is the way to go for now - if this prooves to be a
> pain I'll move to some form of blacklisting.
>
> The computer he uses runs Windows XP - does anyone have any recommendations
> on how to limit what he can view on the net?
>
> Does anyone here with children use any form of parental control software?

the best option is to put the computer he uses somewhere that it can be
seen (ie, not bedroom or rumpus room) so you and your partner can
monitor what he is doing.

JohnO

On Mar 22, 8:41*am, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> vitw wrote:
> > On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 20:50:44 +1300, Squiggle wrote:

> >> the best option is to put the computer he uses somewhere that it can be
> >> seen (ie, not bedroom or rumpus room) so you and your partner can
> >> monitor what he is doing.

> > And the prize for sane, practical and loving parental advice goes to...

> > ...Squiggle!

> > This is the first reply that actually recommends, (shock horror) spending
> > time with the child.

> You make it sound as if we don't spent time with him. That's far from the
> truth. But he does have the odd half hour here and there.
>
> As I mentioned, the issue is not him intentionally looking for dodgy
> content, it's him accidently stumbling upon it. Putting the computer in a
> single common room isn't an easy option - for how he uses it it's in a
> perfectly fine place.
>
> > Be there to help him click away if he lands on any goatse, tubgirl,
> > meatspin etc pages.

> I'd rather he not be able to see those pages full stop. Whether we are with
> him or not. Hence my question on parental control software.
> --
> A.

vitw's comment reeks of the haughtiness often shown by those with no
children but all-knowing about how to bring them up.

Sweetpea

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 08:41:43 +1300, Allistar wrote:

> As I mentioned, the issue is not him intentionally looking for dodgy
> content, it's him accidently stumbling upon it. Putting the computer in
> a single common room isn't an easy option - for how he uses it it's in a
> perfectly fine place.

So install a proxy server.

Squid is perfectly adequate for the task.

JohnO

On Mar 22, 8:15*pm, Sweetpea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 08:41:43 +1300, Allistar wrote:
> > As I mentioned, the issue is not him intentionally looking for dodgy
> > content, it's him accidently stumbling upon it. Putting the computer in
> > a single common room isn't an easy option - for how he uses it it's in a
> > perfectly fine place.

> So install a proxy server.
>
> Squid is perfectly adequate for the task.

Squid can do it, but it's far too hard for the typical home user to
set up. It would also require windows users to set up a linux box.

> --
> "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"

JohnO

On Mar 23, 9:15*am, JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mar 22, 8:15*pm, Sweetpea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 08:41:43 +1300, Allistar wrote:
> > > As I mentioned, the issue is not him intentionally looking for dodgy
> > > content, it's him accidently stumbling upon it. Putting the computer in
> > > a single common room isn't an easy option - for how he uses it it's in a
> > > perfectly fine place.

> > So install a proxy server.

> > Squid is perfectly adequate for the task.

> Squid can do it, but it's far too hard for the typical home user to
> set up.
>
>It would also require windows users to set up a *linux box.

Whoops, no it wouldn't!

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 13:15:06 -0700, JohnO wrote:

> On Mar 22, 8:15¬*pm, Sweetpea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 08:41:43 +1300, Allistar wrote:
>> > As I mentioned, the issue is not him intentionally looking for dodgy
>> > content, it's him accidently stumbling upon it. Putting the computer
>> > in a single common room isn't an easy option - for how he uses it
>> > it's in a perfectly fine place.

>> So install a proxy server.
>>
>> Squid is perfectly adequate for the task.

> Squid can do it, but it's far too hard for the typical home user to set
> up. It would also require windows users to set up a linux box.
>

>> --
>> "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"

Allistar is not a "typical home user". IIRC he has Linux boxen. He can do it.

JohnO

On Mar 24, 10:24*am, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Sweetpea wrote:

> >> Squid can do it, but it's far too hard for the typical home user to set
> >> up. It would also require windows users to set up a *linux box.

> > Allistar is not a "typical home user". IIRC he has Linux boxen. He can do
> > it.

> Yes, I do and I can, but I would rather not have to have another computer
> always turned on for this solution to work. I'll try using a different DNS
> for now.
> --
> A.

Can't it run on the same pc?

Sweetpea

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:24:36 +1300, Allistar wrote:

> Yes, I do and I can, but I would rather not have to have another
> computer always turned on for this solution to work. I'll try using a
> different DNS for now.

It doesn't have to be always turned on. Turn it on when Internet access is required.

Sweetpea

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:39:36 -0700, JohnO wrote:

> On Mar 24, 10:24¬*am, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Sweetpea wrote:

>> > Allistar is not a "typical home user". IIRC he has Linux boxen. He
>> > can do it.

>> Yes, I do and I can, but I would rather not have to have another
>> computer always turned on for this solution to work. I'll try using a
>> different DNS for now.

> Can't it run on the same pc?

It could if it were a Linux box.

Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

As it happens both my parents are dead.

If they were alive, I wouldn't want to insult them by suggesting that
they subjected to parent control software.