Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > spanning-tree (PVST)-root bridge change

spanning-tree (PVST)-root bridge change

koh

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the reason for the following ?
There are 4 switches which is running spanning-tree (PVST).
I turned off spanning-tree for the root bridge,but nothing happened
except that another switch became root bridge.

thanks in advance

KrisJun KrisJun is offline
Junior Member

this is normal behavior, when you disable stp on your root bridge the other switches in the spanning tree will start an election process to determine the new root bridge which probably is the switch with the lowest MAC adress (unless you configured priority).

if you want to get rid of stp you will need to disable it on all switches. If you want to control who becomes root bridge you need to set a lower spanning tree priority for that particular bridge and preferably select a second switch to become the backup of root (in case it fails) by configuring a higher priority then the root but lower then the default value ( 32768 )

However, it is not recommended to turn of spanning tree unless you really know what you are doing. A slight configuration mistake can result in a loop causing your entire network to fail

Jovan Yeo

On Mar 18, 5:10*pm, koh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me the reason for the following ?
> There are 4 switches which is running spanning-tree (PVST).
> I turned off spanning-tree for the root bridge,but nothing happened
> except that another switch became root bridge.
>
> thanks in advance

did u do a sh spanning tree?check yr configuration.

bod43

On 18 Mar, 09:10, koh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me the reason for the following ?
> There are 4 switches which is running spanning-tree (PVST).
> I turned off spanning-tree for the root bridge,but nothing happened
> except that another switch became root bridge.
>
> thanks in advance

Well what would you like to happen?

Depending on your network topology it is quite possible
that even with STP off on one or more switches that the
network will still operate correctly or even optimally.

If you post the topology (ASCII art or maybe a link to a
diagram somewhere) then maybe someone will come
up with some firm suggestions.

I forget whether with STP off cisco switch are transparent
to BPDUs or if they block them. Well I have never turned
STP off.