Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > If I Buy Something, Do I Own It?

If I Buy Something, Do I Own It?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Yet another shutdown of copy-protection servers leaves purchasers of
supposedly-legitimate products high and dry
<http://techdirt.com/articles/20100316/1908348592.shtml>.

Yes, they’re giving instructions on how to bypass the copy-protection. But
hang on—isn’t that a violation of the DMCA? And isn’t Australia supposed to
have DMCA-type provisions in its laws to “harmonize” them with the US, as a
condition of the free-trade agreement it signed with the latter?